Paying The Price For An Uninspired Hire | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Paying The Price For An Uninspired Hire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It doesn't matter how hard this team plays, if the offense can't actually score TD's instead of FG aver FG, they will not win - period. College football today is scoring, offense and more scoring. Just look at Top 25 scores. Unlike the old days, it's best athletes on offense. UConn's still stuck in the 60s. Clearly their best players are on defense.

Reaction Score
Really? Really? Did you watch the game yesterday? Do you understand what happened and why? Did you see a WV wide receiver make move in the open field and out run our entire defense 70 yards? Have you paid attntion to the speed we're recruiting so far this year? Did you see a defensive backfield of freshmen? Freshmen all over the place on this roster? guys that are fighting for everything they're worth, and learning the hard way that they need to play smart at the same time as fightng for every inch that they can get? DId you see a TE run the length of the field after already running a route to stop a TD?

This staff is squeezing every drop of ability out of this roster we're working with, and we're improving as a team week to week. It hasn't been a straight line up for every unit, but the trend is definitely up.

We were flowing as a team, a complete balanced team, into the third quarter of that game yesterday,like I haven't seen a UCONN team play the game in a LONG time. It was a wonderful feeling, when McEntee dropped that pass into Kashif on the timing route it was a thing of b
I'm sure everybody on that team was riding on top of a momentum wave that they haven't felt in a LONG time, if ever. THen the mistake, the problem, the adversity comes.

It always does. We hit the bottom of that wave - hard - when you ride high, you hit low too, and you have to find a way to get back on top of that wave.

Yet another learning experience for this team.

I can't believe what I read around here sometimes, and I wonder what people are really paying attention to and why.
COULD NOT HAVE SAID THIS ANY BETTER - RIGHT ON !

Reaction Score
We're 2 and 4. We've beaten the mighty Fordham Rams and the mighty Buffalo Bulls. How do you guys not see the Kragthorpian mess we have on our hands?

Honest question, because my sarcasm meter might be off. But I am assuming this is sarcasm?

If not. Explain the similarities between Krags and Coach P's background, and then explain why you think this is similar to Kragthorpe's tenure at Louisville?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What else can you describe a 14 minute stretch of game where you are outscored 33-0?

That was a pathetic stretch of football.

UConn's drives post fumble
3 plays -1 yard
3 plays 6 yards....

The color guy said it all several times, UConn had to scheme to perfection to have any success at all against WVU. They were actually doing it until the fumble. The exaggerated way it popped into the air and the long runback just burst the bubble. It's tough for an out-gunned team to get it back.

Reaction Score
Clueless
Hardly. Mostly painfully accurate. The band might be the last vestige of competency and they are being run out of the stands by a bunch of DJ hoods at the Rent. Talk about being unable to market to your audience. The whole program and product is in total disarray. It's really is a sad thing to see.

Reaction Score
For all you guys banking on Pasqualoni's past performance and experience. Past performance is often the single most misleading indicators of future success.

Reaction Score
What else can you describe a 14 minute stretch of game where you are outscored 33-0?

That was a pathetic stretch of football.

UConn's drives post fumble
3 plays -1 yard
3 plays 6 yards
2 plays -6 yards safety
4 plays 13 yards
3 plays 0 yards
3 plays 7 yards
6 plays 10 yards punt (I mean why wouldn't you punt down 43-16 with a minute left)

Where is the evidence of all the heart and desire? Does it show up in the WVU drives?

2 plays 9 yards td
1 play 81 yards td
3 plays 18 yards punt
6 plays 51 yards td
9 plays 34 yards fg
3 plays 95 yards td

Seriously. Who has evidence and who doesn't?

I'm sure your response will be what it always is. Everyone else knows nothing. You are the most brilliant football mind the world has ever seen. Anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot.

Maybe everyone in Tampa is sleeping still too. When do we get to that weekly idiotic thread? I mean I'm sure there is 15 paragraphs coming about how much better they will play this week because it's Homecoming - like anyone gives a damn about that.

Stick to hockey dude. You are an insult to the players on the field.

Maybe you didn't see our linebackers running as hard as they possibly could the length of the field behind that WV wide receiver with more speed than anybody we had on the field. They didn't give up on that play. Maybe you missed Griffin running the length of the field to stop a TD....AFTER he had already run downfield in a route in the opposite direction. Maybe you didn't see our defensive lineman pushing those WV lineman back into the pocket right up tot he end, and a WV helmets flying off on the field after contact. maybe you missed our JJL in the backfield playign better blocking from a TB position than I've seen all year out of the backfield - damn shame he had his eyes up too soon on that pitch out and lost the ball. Maybe you missed McCombs running hard from beginnign to end, and coming SO damn close to breaking free.

You know, I think you probably didn't even watch the game, sure you don't have to because the box score says so much - doesn't it?

Reaction Score
Hardly. Mostly painfully accurate. The band might be the last vestige of competency and they are being run out of the stands by a bunch of DJ hoods at the Rent. Talk about being unable to market to your audience. The whole program and product is in total disarray. It's really is a sad thing to see.
Agreed, and another great point: the marching band is absolutely critical to on-field success. I think it was Vince Lombardi, but maybe it was Harold Hill, who famously said:

"Perfection is not attainable, but if our marching band can really crank out 'Louie Louie' four or five times a game, we can catch excellence."

Reaction Score
I saw 43 to 16. The score was indicative as to the difference between the two teams. Uconn was more or less almost = to Vandy, Iowa State and W Michigan; though lost each one so must be a reason.

In WV 5 victories their margin of victory and opponents scoring were:

Marshall 21 - 13
Nor State 43 -12
Maryland 6 - 31
BGreen 45 - 10
Uconn 27 - 16

So Uconn did better than most non AQ schools with slightly more scoring and closer games, except rivalry game was within 21 with Marshall. Other AQ team scored way more points and game was much closer. The other AQ team has only won one game this year.

Uconn is a MAC level team performance wise through 6 games. The team passing is 91st in passing efficiency, much better than the 112th last year. Rushing yardage wise is 90th. How many games will a team win with those stats?

I'm not sure I saw give up, just worn out from things not working.

Reaction Score
There was no give up in the team Saturday, they didn't make plays. Players were in position to make plays and catches were dropped, interceptions were dropped, passes weren't defended but the position couldn't have been any better (Gratz), blocks were missed. Based on the WVU game though we have no reason to expect a complete game and a win until they do it. There is no easy road for this team, they have to be flawless in all phases. There is no Easley, no D Brown, Dixon or Todman. Saw someone mention the holding on WVU pas protection.I had to laugh at the ref's calling a hold on WVU with under 4 minutes to go. Saw 2 blatent shirt grabs when they made their run and it was in full view of the referee. The comment about the program being in disarray I agree with. The game day changes are not for the better. I would bring back the song (O Fortuna?) before the team runs out of the tunnel ASAP. That had been in place since the Indiana game if I recall correctly. That song was UConn at the Rent, it set the tone. Less PA droning during every break in the action would give more time for the UCMB or the recorded music to play. The girl with the microphone seems nice but that needs to go away.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Maybe you didn't see our linebackers running as hard as they possibly could the length of the field behind that WV wide receiver with more speed than anybody we had on the field. They didn't give up on that play. Maybe you missed Griffin running the length of the field to stop a TD....AFTER he had already run downfield in a route in the opposite direction. Maybe you didn't see our defensive lineman pushing those WV lineman back into the pocket right up tot he end, and a WV helmets flying off on the field after contact. maybe you missed our JJL in the backfield playign better blocking from a TB position than I've seen all year out of the backfield - damn shame he had his eyes up too soon on that pitch out and lost the ball. Maybe you missed McCombs running hard from beginnign to end, and coming SO damn close to breaking free.

You know, I think you probably didn't even watch the game, sure you don't have to because the box score says so much - doesn't it?

Let me know when they start naming a winner of a game based on your observations and not what's in the box score.

I saw a 14 minute stretch where the game was 33-0. How many points does a team get for 'helmets flying'.

I might be an insult to the players on the field, you are an insult to reality.

Reaction Score
Imagine if they were awake in Morgantown all those mornings in July.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Imagine if they were awake in Morgantown all those mornings in July.

Maybe USF will be stuck late in Ybor City this week and miss their flight to Connecticut when they oversleep.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Just to early to say that. I mean he has coached six games so far this year. Now if we don't see any progress by year's end then you can complain. But it is to early to compare him to Kragthope

We're 2 and 4. We've beaten the mighty Fordham Rams and the mighty Buffalo Bulls. How do you guys not see the Kragthorpian mess we have on our hands?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The band might be the last vestige of competency and they are being run out of the stands by a bunch of DJ hoods at the Rent. Talk about being unable to market to your audience.

DJ hoods? Why do call those guys "hoods"? Let me guess...

Reaction Score
Just to early to say that. I mean he has coached six games so far this year. Now if we don't see any progress by year's end then you can complain. But it is to early to compare him to Kragthope

Why too early to compare? Team is 2-4 and could have worse record since in BE. Can't figure out who to start at QB. Picks the least mobile QB of the group for a team that needs a playmaker somewhere. Has Sio Moore cover slot receivers. Has trouble getting defense lined up on time against hurry up. Bad play call vs. Vandy for pick. Special teams play on punt returns poor. Defense folds in 4th qtr of 3 loses as opponents "figure out" how to win against defense (i.e make adjustments that work). Defense folds against WV after turnover on JMac fumble and WV defense pressures Uconn offense and it folds. Offense has about as many TD's against Div 1 opponents as defense and specials.

Seems like a lot to judge on. All this new scheme, new coach stuff is bunk. Simple, is he getting good performance out of the team by putting best players on field and giving them the best schemes, play calls and audible authority to make each play work. Don't see it. Uconn is playing all these tight end sets with no power running game, just making it easier for defense to load box. Who are the potential playmakers - Moore, Moore, Williams, Jones, Griffin, Mccombs, Nebrich. Get those guys in space and see what they can do. Don't have the pro set, two tight end, pound it OL/RB talent so need to try something else.

I remember 1st game Collaros came in, Pike hurt, thought Cin would get killed. He runs for TD and does some good things and they win. Nebrich is our potential Collaros, needs to get playing time and scheme to work with. Going direction of current offense is mistake of Kragthorpean proportions.

Reaction Score
DJ hoods? Why do call those guys "hoods"? Let me guess...
Cause they are holding themselves out as part of a cultural movement associated with the hood ...sorry, can't have it both ways. Good try baiter. Still O.K. in America to say certain cultural phenomena is counter productive, and their whole acts sucks.

Reaction Score

That was insane. What an effort and I believe a direct result of that fumble last week. Talk about a guy that has gotten focus and some "get some" attitude in him. Good god, I hope it continues... he's going to be a monster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom