Paul Zeise | The Boneyard

Paul Zeise

Status
Not open for further replies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
No, not the Paul Zeise who was recruited by KO, but his dad, who's a reporter and sports radio host here in Pittsburgh. He spent a half hour last night talking about UConn.

To put this in perspective, in the 11 years I've lived here, I have never heard a half hour dedicated to any story focused on a single team from outside Pittsburgh that didn't involve a murder or suspension. It's more air time than Dwight Howard or LeBron merited in the past couple months combined.

I was stunned this was happening in Pittsburgh, which is more provincial and parochial than even Boston.

Anyway, in the midst of topics ranging from the Bucs being 21 games over, to the Pens re-acquiring Rob Scuderi, to Pitt's formal entry into the ACC, Zeise decides he wants to talk about UConn, and whether it's fair or even sensible that a school with 11 NCs and a BCS appearance in past 14 years is shut out of major conferences.

He's got a lot of contacts in the old BE and told some stories about how UConn women are a religion, noting that there are 9 regular beat writers covering Geno's squad while the Steelers have only eight. He told a story of meeting a Courant reporter at an NBA playoff game and being told that the guy didn't want to be there. He'd been demoted from covering the women's team and had to settle for NBA playoffs.

Zeise really wanted listeners (there are NO women's hoops fans in Pgh) to understand the gravity of the situation. He talked about how UConn has spent a fortune on developing a D1 football program and how no team has been more successful than UConn's men since the mid-90s.

He asked whether UConn deserved any of this. Whether it was fair.

His co-host/intern - some kid I know nothing about - responded that yes, UConn did deserve this fate. It's a school in the middle of nowhere, but close enough to other metros so that it could never support big time football. Too many other distractions that most schools in the SEC and many in the ACC/B12 - places were football is THE thing and THE religion - don't have to worry about. The assistant opined that they never should have pursued D1 and they'd probably be in a better place - at least the NBE, anyway. And that they cemented the perception that they would never take building a football program seriously when they "hired a retread like Paul Pasqualoni."

The two went back and forth for a bit, there were no call-ins, although I thought it about it (it was midnight or so), but they ended up with the same conclusions: 1) the women's team would be great as long as Geno was there. They would still have the toughest schedule, they'd still attract the best players. But when Geno goes, so goes the program; 2) KO would have trouble recruiting as there's nothing much to promise kids - no NY area schools to play, no MSG tournament. Zeise pointed out that the AAC tourney being in Memphis is a huge drop down in perception. Thus UConn men's hoops would fade to obscurity; and 3) the football program will never be anything but mid-major. Might they hope to win the AAC and possibly qualify for a BCS bowl someday? Sure, but those times would be few and very far between. And not with Pasqualoni.

Interestingly, Zeise talked about the Syracuse taxi ad campaign, noting Syracuse is not NYC's team, but at least it's in the same state, which can't be said for Rutgers or UConn, adding that the NYC market is too fragmented for any team to make a claim. Zeise also noted that Cincy and USF were also affected, but neither has anywhere near the same gripes at being left out as UConn has.

He said he was going to continue this into the next half hour segment, but when they came back on air, he changed subjects. Maybe it was the producer telling him that no calls = no interest, so he dropped it. But it was a surprising half hour of discussion, especially for a Pittsburgh radio station.

Reaction Score
His co-host/intern - some kid I know nothing about - responded that yes, UConn did deserve this fate. It's a school in the middle of nowhere, (I guess that kid has never been to Penn State, that school is really in the middle of nowhere) but close enough to other metros so that it could never support big time football. Too many other distractions that most schools in the SEC and many in the ACC/B12 - places were football is THE thing and THE religion - don't have to worry about. (We don't have major pro sports in CT so this argument makes no sense, UCONN is the only game in town for the entire state, when Yale was big time they were heavily supported and there were much fewer people in the state back then)

3) the football program will never be anything but mid-major. Might they hope to win the AAC and possibly qualify for a BCS bowl someday? Sure, but those times would be few and very far between. (we'll get there more often then Pitt, they aren't winning the ACC anytime soon, they couldn't even win the Big East. UCONN more then held its own against Pitt over the years)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not sure what Pitt's success or lack thereof in ACC has to do with anything, but whatever. And as far as PSU goes, I think that's the point he was trying to make - UConn is closer to major metros than a school like PSU, where there's nothing to do except the game each Saturday.

I'm just making an observation as a UConn alum/fan that a radio station in a city 9 hours west of Storrs dedicated a half hour of airtime to UConn's plight. I don't know why you feel you need to disparage PA schools to make your points as it makes you (and by extension, us as the UConn community) look pretty petty.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I don't know why you feel you need to disparage PA schools to make your points as it makes you (and by extension, us as the UConn community) look pretty petty.
Because the guy you quoted basically bashed UCONN and said we will be relegated to mid-major status. That tends to rile up the dander of UCONN fans

Reaction Score
Maybe there were no call-ins because Pitt fans know better.

The Big 12 was too damn slow to grab Louisville. We're going to go somewhere. The market for UConn is too strong to ignore. I know women's basketball is not the most popular sport but gender equity is the present and future.

Reaction Score
]I don't know why you feel you need to disparage PA schools to make your points as it makes you (and by extension, us as the UConn community) look pretty petty.

The sensitivity you are displaying here is amazing. I would like to offer a sincere apology to the PA schools I have offended. I would also like to apologize to the UCONN community for making us look bad. I may have also made Mets fans and by extension NYC look bad, so I apologize to them as well.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Why is this guy posting this then surprised that UConn fans don't agree with the guy bashing them?

I'd certainly expect UConn fans to disagree. Heck, I disagree with the points made. But that's got zip to do with Pitt or PSU. Don't see why metsfan had to go there (edit: noting metsfan additional comment above). I'd like to think/hope we're a bit classier than that.

Reaction Score
I'd certainly expect UConn fans to disagree. Heck, I disagree with the points made. But that's got zip to do with Pitt or PSU. Don't see why metsfan had to go there (edit: noting metsfan additional comment above). I'd like to think/hope we're a bit classier than that.

Isn't it past your bedtime little girl?

Reaction Score
All he really said in his initial post was that PSU is in the middle of nowhere...which is really hard to argue with. "Where" exactly is he going with that comment? I'm lost.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
All he really said in his initial post was that PSU is in the middle of nowhere...which is really hard to argue with. "Where" exactly is he going with that comment? I'm lost.

He actually underlined and confirmed the point Zeise was making - PSU is essentially an SEC school from a football culture standpoint, which UConn is not. There would be no point in making the comment unless intended as a dig at PSU.

Reaction Score
Because the guy you quoted basically bashed UCONN and said we will be relegated to mid-major status. That tends to rile up the dander of UCONN fans

It's clearly up to us to prove that we aren't. Up until now that's what we have been.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
1) When Geno leaves, a high quality women's coach will be chosen to replace him, and the national championships and following will keep the highly ranked recruits coming. If he were to retire today, there would be a stack of resumes on Warde's desk, including the name Rizzotti at the top.

2) I know that number 1 is true, because number 2 is true; that our men's program is not going anywhere and our recruiting is still top-notch. Players like Facey, Fuchs, Samuel, Brimah, and Hamilton have all decided to come to our university even after we not only lost our conference mates but also lost our HOF coach. We are still one of the elite programs in the country and will continue to be.

3) If UConn is a mid-major program at best in football, then what does that make Pitt? Since our head-to-head record in the Big East was even up, I'm assuming that they have a mid-major brewing in western PA right now.

4) If being in the middle of nowhere is a prerequisite to disaster, then why is it that a large amount of successful football teams are in the middle of nowhere?

This is all nonsense being spewed by someone who had a half hour to fill on his show. Thanks for relaying the message. All it means is that, although we are supposedly a mid-major program with no future and no history with nowhere to go, we've consumed the thoughts of the city of Pittsburgh for a lot longer than 30 minutes...

Reaction Score
The argument that we are better than a lot of power 5 teams (which is 100% true) isn't going to get us anywhere.

Gonzaga is a top 20 program. But still a mid-major. I don't find it an insult. I find it a challenge.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The argument that we are better than a lot of power 5 teams (which is 100% true) isn't going to get us anywhere.

Gonzaga is a top 20 program. But still a mid-major. I don't find it an insult. I find it a challenge.

You can still be a major program while not being in a major conference. That's the point. There is no denying that we are a major program. You don't win national titles in multiple sports and have an athletic department over 65 million in revenue without being a major program. That's why the characterization of us as a mid-major is wrong.

The AAC? Mid-major conference. UConn? Major program. THAT'S the difference...

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
3) If UConn is a mid-major program at best in football, then what does that make Pitt? Since our head-to-head record in the Big East was even up, I'm assuming that they have a mid-major brewing in western PA right now.

4) If being in the middle of nowhere is a prerequisite to disaster, then why is it that a large amount of successful football teams are in the middle of nowhere?

This is all nonsense being spewed by someone who had a half hour to fill on his show. Thanks for relaying the message. All it means is that, although we are supposedly a mid-major program with no future and no history with nowhere to go, we've consumed the thoughts of the city of Pittsburgh for a lot longer than 30 minutes...

Since you brought up the question, while Zeise didn't discuss Pitt FB on this particular show, he's on record with the opinion that Pitt FB has seen its best days. They'll have better competition in the ACC (esp when Ville joins) but they're not going anywhere, which is what he thinks of 80% of the ACC - it's a weak football conference. But they'll all be making a lot more money than UConn. Zeise noted more or less the same for hoops, predicting Pitt would consistently be in top 5 of ACC, but likely never win an ACC title as long as Duke & UNC are around. It's not like the guy is a total homer. And his son is on the team.

On the other point, I believe Zeise and his cohort where making that point specific to UConn football more than hoops. UConn is in farm country but also just 90 minutes away from two very large media markets that don't focus on college football as do markets for Bama, Auburn, SC, Oklahoma, Nebraska, PSU, et.al. That why he thinks UConn is in a different situation than those 'middle of nowhere' SEC/B12 schools. Not sure why everyone seems to be missing his point that Storrs isn't culturally like Tuscaloosa or State College because of its proximity to NY/Boston.

I recognize it's not a narrative any UConn fan hoping for a B1G invite really wants to hear. That doesn't mean it should be dismissed out of hand. That the PP hiring was specifically mentioned is the thing I think was most alarming about the whole half hour.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Since you brought up the question, while Zeise didn't discuss Pitt FB on this particular show, he's on record with the opinion that Pitt FB has seen its best days. They'll have better competition in the ACC (esp when Ville joins) but they're not going anywhere, which is what he thinks of 80% of the ACC - it's a weak football conference. But they'll all be making a lot more money than UConn. Zeise noted more or less the same for hoops, predicting Pitt would consistently be in top 5 of ACC, but likely never win an ACC title as long as Duke & UNC are around. It's not like the guy is a total homer. And his son is on the team.

On the other point, I believe Zeise and his cohort where making that point specific to UConn football more than hoops. UConn is in farm country but also just 90 minutes away from two very large media markets that don't focus on college football as do markets for Bama, Auburn, SC, Oklahoma, Nebraska, PSU, et.al. That why he thinks UConn is in a different situation than those 'middle of nowhere' SEC/B12 schools. Not sure why everyone seems to be missing his point that Storrs isn't culturally like Tuscaloosa or State College because of its proximity to NY/Boston.

I recognize it's not a narrative any UConn fan hoping for a B1G invite really wants to hear. That doesn't mean it should be dismissed out of hand. That the PP hiring was specifically mentioned is the thing I think was most alarming about the whole half hour.

For the next four years or so, if I'm understanding the payout to UConn correctly, we will not be making significantly less money than Pitt. Less, but not significantly less. We get a nice chunk of the exit fees, NCAA credits, and Big East name buyout, and if I'm not mistaken, I'm not sure if Pitt gets 20 mil from the ACC right away (although I could be wrong about that). After that, who knows.

As to the media market situation; if being near NYC and Boston is a negative and not a positive towards a school's future, then can you explain either Maryland or Rutgers going to the B1G? It's a point that has the opposite bearing on our future than what Zeise is intending it to. In fact, if we were truly in the middle of nowhere, I would be more depressed about our situation, because it means that we could have Boise State numbers and yet have nowhere to go for the Power 5.....just like Boise State!

As to the point about Pasqualoni, I'm SURE that he felt the same way about PP when the guy was beating up on Pitt for over a decade, right? And then again last year, right?

That's all I'm saying. His points aren't points, but just filler for a talk show...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
By the way, just for full disclosure, Pasqualoni's career record against Pitt is 13-3. That's right; 13 and friggin' 3. Not bad for a re-treat mid major coach...

Reaction Score
I'm only saying that as good as our hoops programs are, they don't make out football program better than what it is. And we have something to prove, no?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I'm only saying that as good as our hoops programs are, they don't make out football program better than what it is. And we have something to prove, no?
I agree.

We are a Northern school. We are about to compete against schools from Texas, Florida, Louisiana, and the greater South for recruits and exposure right in their own backyards. In our favor is that we are not up against any of the juggernauts - we're relegated to the Southern Minor Leagues. Also in our favor is a solid brand identity, a financial head start, good facilities, and a chastised and motivated athletic department. What would help is active and enthusiastic fan support.

If we cannot win consistently and frequently against this group of schools, maybe we don't belong competing against the juggernauts in leagues we hope to someday belong.

We have to win... time to put up or shut up.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't take middle of nowhere the comment the same way. Plenty of schools are rural. To me it's more that geographically it's a stretch for any league but the ACC.

I think geography is one of the big reasons UConn has been a loser in CR.

Reaction Score
No, not the Paul Zeise who was recruited by KO, but his dad, who's a reporter and sports radio host here in Pittsburgh. He spent a half hour last night talking about UConn.

To put this in perspective, in the 11 years I've lived here, I have never heard a half hour dedicated to any story focused on a single team from outside Pittsburgh that didn't involve a murder or suspension. It's more air time than Dwight Howard or LeBron merited in the past couple months combined.

I was stunned this was happening in Pittsburgh, which is more provincial and parochial than even Boston.

Anyway, in the midst of topics ranging from the Bucs being 21 games over, to the Pens re-acquiring Rob Scuderi, to Pitt's formal entry into the ACC, Zeise decides he wants to talk about UConn, and whether it's fair or even sensible that a school with 11 NCs and a BCS appearance in past 14 years is shut out of major conferences.

He's got a lot of contacts in the old BE and told some stories about how UConn women are a religion, noting that there are 9 regular beat writers covering Geno's squad while the Steelers have only eight. He told a story of meeting a Courant reporter at an NBA playoff game and being told that the guy didn't want to be there. He'd been demoted from covering the women's team and had to settle for NBA playoffs.

Zeise really wanted listeners (there are NO women's hoops fans in Pgh) to understand the gravity of the situation. He talked about how UConn has spent a fortune on developing a D1 football program and how no team has been more successful than UConn's men since the mid-90s.

He asked whether UConn deserved any of this. Whether it was fair. (The whole process is unfair. Much of it is determined by whether you were born with the silve spoon in your mouth (Here's looking at you Washington State, Texas Tech, Iowa State), and don't have to worry about anything. UConn got the s*it draw early on, staying at 1-AA until the latter part of the 1990's, but who then could have seen this coming?)

His co-host/intern - some kid I know nothing about - responded that yes, UConn did deserve this fate. It's a school in the middle of nowhere, but close enough to other metros so that it could never support big time football. (Miami, Illinois, Michigan (Chicago, Detroit), Texas all are pretty close to massive metro areas, and seem to be fine (except for the notoriously tepid fan base in Miami). Too many other distractions that most schools in the SEC and many in the ACC/B12 - places were football is THE thing and THE religion - don't have to worry about. (True...you aren't going to catch a broadway show in Mobile, Alabama anytime soon, but LSU seems to do just fine with the Saints just down the street.) The assistant opined that they never should have pursued D1 (Agreed, when you can make sure you are nothing more than Seton Hall and Providence, you just have to do it, am I right?), and they'd probably be in a better place - at least the NBE, anyway (I just threw up in my mouth). And that they cemented the perception that they would never take building a football program seriously when they "hired a retread like Paul Pasqualoni (Jeff Hathaway strikes again!)."

The two went back and forth for a bit, there were no call-ins, although I thought it about it (it was midnight or so), but they ended up with the same conclusions: 1) the women's team would be great as long as Geno was there. They would still have the toughest schedule, they'd still attract the best players. But when Geno goes, so goes the program (debatable, but not impossible. I assume, Jen Rizzoti is waiting for Geno to step down, and she'll get the job and be fine); 2) KO would have trouble recruiting as there's nothing much to promise kids - no NY area schools to play, no MSG tournament (KO is a solid recruiter, has NBA experience, and who is itching for the NBE tourney in MSG now anyway?). Zeise pointed out that the AAC tourney being in Memphis is a huge drop down in perception (no arguments here). Thus UConn men's hoops would fade to obscurity (doubtful. G'Town isn't suffering an obscurity problem, even without football); and 3) the football program will never be anything but mid-major (well that's the problem with playing in a mid-major conference). Might they hope to win the AAC and possibly qualify for a BCS bowl someday? Sure, but those times would be few and very far between. And not with Pasqualoni.

Interestingly, Zeise talked about the Syracuse taxi ad campaign, noting Syracuse is not NYC's team, but at least it's in the same state, which can't be said for Rutgers or UConn, adding that the NYC market is too fragmented for any team to make a claim. Zeise also noted that Cincy and USF were also affected, but neither has anywhere near the same gripes at being left out as UConn has.

He said he was going to continue this into the next half hour segment, but when they came back on air, he changed subjects. Maybe it was the producer telling him that no calls = no interest, so he dropped it. But it was a surprising half hour of discussion, especially for a Pittsburgh radio station.

Reaction Score

He asked whether UConn deserved any of this. Whether it was fair.

His co-host/intern - some kid I know nothing about - responded that yes, UConn did deserve this fate. It's a school in the middle of nowhere, but close enough to other metros so that it could never support big time football. Too many other distractions that most schools in the SEC and many in the ACC/B12 - places were football is THE thing and THE religion - don't have to worry about. The assistant opined that they never should have pursued D1 and they'd probably be in a better place - at least the NBE, anyway. And that they cemented the perception that they would never take building a football program seriously when they "hired a retread like Paul Pasqualoni."

The two went back and forth for a bit, there were no call-ins, although I thought it about it (it was midnight or so), but they ended up with the same conclusions: 1) the women's team would be great as long as Geno was there. They would still have the toughest schedule, they'd still attract the best players. But when Geno goes, so goes the program; 2) KO would have trouble recruiting as there's nothing much to promise kids - no NY area schools to play, no MSG tournament. Zeise pointed out that the AAC tourney being in Memphis is a huge drop down in perception. Thus UConn men's hoops would fade to obscurity; and 3) the football program will never be anything but mid-major. Might they hope to win the AAC and possibly qualify for a BCS bowl someday? Sure, but those times would be few and very far between. And not with Pasqualoni.

@Big difference between SU and RU/UConn...we don't pay people to claim were NYC's team and SU doe's!#2 RU is in the NYC demo therefore is NYC's team no matter what we think!!Funny an intern "kid" in Pittsburgh impacting RU/SU/UConn perception practically in the midwest!

Reaction Score
I don't take middle of nowhere the comment the same way. Plenty of schools are rural. To me it's more that geographically it's a stretch for any league but the ACC.

I think geography is one of the big reasons UConn has been a loser in CR.

@Middle of nowhere?Is he nut's?A school that dominates from the fringes of NYC all the way up to the Boston market in a densely populated state?I doubt the intern was ever in Connecticut!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom