Paul Nilsen on Nika Muhl

SVCBeercats

KARMA! Its called KARMA!
UConn commit eager for an American experience
“I want to play in the United States because of the education I can get here but also because of the high level of basketball that is here,” Muhl said. “I love how Americans think about basketball. I love how they represent it. I could go always back to Europe in a couple but playing here would be an experience and an opportunity not many people back home get.
I am not crazy about the embolden line. No, no! No going back in two years.

“I want to play in the United States because of the education I can get here but also because of the high level of basketball that is here,” Muhl said. “I love how Americans think about basketball. I love how they represent it. I could go always back to Europe in a couple but playing here would be an experience and an opportunity not many people back home get.

better than Miss St. ;)

SVCBeercats

KARMA! Its called KARMA!
10 pts, 10 steals, 10 rebs and 17 asts in 17 mins this is just awesome.
Is this a new record?
Did you notice the tweet saying 24 hrs. later she had 14-13-10 triple double? A backcourt of Williams, Bueckers, an Muhl will scary good. We need one more big at least to partner with Olivia.

Last edited:
While Nika is still a year away, look at those arms. She’ll definitely show up at Storrs with a college ready conditioning level capable of banging with the likes of UCF and others who play “Hack a Husky” defense.
The best way to describe the European players I have worked with is “well rounded” in their basketball skill set. As a general rule passing and ball handling are very strong. One thing that is always embarrassing to me is that most of these players speak at least 3 languages fluently, while I am still trying to master my native tongue. Worked with a coach at one time who could swear like a mule skinner, and told him one day that speaking fluent profanity was not really not considered a second language.

The best way to describe the European players I have worked with is “well rounded” in their basketball skill set. As a general rule passing and ball handling are very strong. One thing that is always embarrassing to me is that most of these players speak at least 3 languages fluently, while I am still trying to master my native tongue. Worked with a coach at one time who could swear like a mule skinner, and told him one day that speaking fluent profanity was not really not considered a second language.
Sorry, one too many “nots”. Proved my own point about English.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
I agree with you. In theory, I am often concerned about foreigners, because they could get homesick or they could turn pro back home. They have a different perspective than American players. But, empirically, I see very few players who come the the U.S. and leave early. It's more common for them to go pro at home and not come to the U.S. at all--see the Ezi Magbegor situation. I'm happy that we have Nika. I'll be even happier if we add Anna Makurat. If Geno can work a miracle and get Iliana Rupert, I'll be thrilled. I also like Aliyah Edwards from Canada.

oldude

bamboo lover
I agree with you. In theory, I am often concerned about foreigners, because they could get homesick or they could turn pro back home. They have a different perspective than American players. But, empirically, I see very few players who come the the U.S. and leave early. It's more common for them to go pro at home and not come to the U.S. at all--see the Ezi Magbegor situation. I'm happy that we have Nika. I'll be even happier if we add Anna Makurat. If Geno can work a miracle and get Iliana Rupert, I'll be thrilled. I also like Aliyah Edwards from Canada.
How about that “foreigner” we’ve got as our HC. He’s hung around for quite a few years...:rolleyes:

Bigboote

Lectroid feom Planet 10
I haven't read every post on Ms. Muhl, but I haven't seen pointed out that she has 3/4 of a season of pro ball under her belt. She led the Women's Adriatic league in assists, and was top-ten in rebounding and top-20 in scoring. OTOH, her team didn't win a game.

She's also already 18 years old. I'm not sure why she wouldn't come to UConn this year; presumably there are requirements that the standard Croatian curriculum doesn't cover?

Another Kelly Faris?
Looking at the highlights, Muhl looks pretty versatile like Faris but at the same stage looks like she has a better jump shot and passing skills. OTOH, Faris was a much better athlete and probably a better defender as well as rebounder. I would be thrilled if she turned out as good as Faris, but I don't know if she has the athleticism or physicality to play 3 positions like her that effectively.

If you could give every player in a UConn uniform one attribute that Kelly had, it would be her motor. She was a competitor’s competitor, and definitely got everything out of the physical abilities she was endowed with. One of my all time favorite Huskies.
The one thing missing the last 2 years was a Kelly.