Patrick Ewing Hired at Georgetown | The Boneyard

Patrick Ewing Hired at Georgetown

Reaction Score

Not sure how I'd feel about the move if I was a Georgetown fan. Thought they'd go outside the Thompson pipeline

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
This will likely be an exceptional hire.
Mildly concerned about how this affects OUR recruiting between now and the start of the season...

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Major competition on the recruiting trail just popped up on the radar. Basically Ollie's claim of legitimacy times 10.

Reaction Score
Major competition on the recruiting trail just popped up on the radar. Basically Ollie's claim of legitimacy times 10.
Probably wishful thinking but I feel like for the most part they'll be competing for different recruits. Ewing definitely has the star power factor but don't think it should hurt our recruiting of guards all that much for the same reason people negatively talk about KO recruiting/developing bigs

Reaction Score
Can't wait to see how he does. Part of me wants him to succeed because he was a childhood hero of mine. Part of me wants him to succeed to help get rid of this silly "big men can't be good coaches" nonsense. And of course part of me hopes he fails miserably because that'll be better for UConn.

Reaction Score
Really happy he gets the chance, have no idea how he'll do but I like the fact that he still has that competitive desire.

Reaction Score
How much do kids born in 2000 care about a guy whose glory days were the mid-1980s to early-1990s?

How many kids want to play for a big man when the NBA has moved away from the type of player Ewing was?

I mean KO had worked and played with Westbrook and Durant, with LeBron and others. They're @ ing him on twitter and stuff. NBA folks wanted him to be a head coach. Fair or not, that isn't the case for Ewing.

Does he know how to recruit? KO did it for at least a few years before he took over. Chris Mullin was supposed to tear up the scene; he's 22-43 in two years and he hasn't lit the recruiting scene on fire either.

This seems like a huge mistake to me. He better hire some people who can recruit, and now.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
How much do kids born in 2000 care about a guy whose glory days were the mid-1980s to early-1990s?

How many kids want to play for a big man when the NBA has moved away from the type of player Ewing was?

I mean KO had worked and played with Westbrook and Durant, with LeBron and others. They're @ ing him on twitter and stuff. NBA folks wanted him to be a head coach. Fair or not, that isn't the case for Ewing.

Does he know how to recruit? KO did it for at least a few years before he took over. Chris Mullin was supposed to tear up the scene; he's 22-43 in two years and he hasn't lit the recruiting scene on fire either.

This seems like a huge mistake to me. He better hire some people who can recruit, and now.

This is all completely true, and a headwind of mitigating factors. That said, don't under estimate the mythic pull Ewing will hold over kids parents and AAU coaches.

He's absolutely gonna need someone who can recruit.

Reaction Score

I'm curious. I hope the best for Patrick, especially being a Knicks fan (at least when I was a kid and Patrick was playing). He is an absolute good guy. I think his name still holds sway. Kids may not be very familiar, but kids can google. He coached under extremely good coaches in the Van Gundy bros, and Clifford. But yea, he needs some big time recruiters. Edit. And who knows if he can lead a program. There are so many responsibilities outside of simply knowing how to draw up plays.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm curious. I hope the best for Patrick, especially being a Knicks fan (at least when I was a kid and Patrick was playing). He is an absolute good guy. I think his name still holds sway. Kids may not be very familiar, but kids can google. He coached under extremely good coaches in the Van Gundy bros, and Clifford. But yea, he needs some big time recruiters.
Look, I like Ewing. I want Georgetown to be good. Not as good as us, but good.

But I'm highly skeptical of this. KO had spent two years on the recruiting trail, and had a NC as an assistant. Further, he was and is in deep with todays biggest stars. So far as I can tell, Ewing isn't.

I wish him the best, but this strikes me as a move to appease the former players after firing JT3 rather than a play to actually get better.

Reaction Score
Look, I like Ewing. I want Georgetown to be good. Not as good as us, but good.

But I'm highly skeptical of this. KO had spent two years on the recruiting trail, and had a NC as an assistant. Further, he was and is in deep with todays biggest stars. So far as I can tell, Ewing isn't.

I wish him the best, but this strikes me as a move to appease the former players after firing JT3 rather than a play to actually get better.

It will probably be a homerun or a dumpster fire. I think we are probably on the same page. I'm certainly not sold and I am very biased. Only objection - Patrick being an actual NBA star definitely carries more weight than 2 very complimentary comments about KO from Lebron and KD.

Reaction Score
This seems like a bad move to me. Maybe he can sell the "I've coached in the NBA and can help you get there" - line. But I don't know what he brings to the table, other than 1980s reputation.

Reaction Score
It will probably be a homerun or a dumpster fire. I think we are probably on the same page. I'm certainly not sold and I am very biased. Only objection - Patrick being an actual NBA star definitely carries more weight than 2 very complimentary comments about KO from Lebron and KD.
Mullin was too...

Reaction Score
I could see Ewing doing well or being a total disaster.

Reaction Score
Mullin was too...

I don't think recruiting is his issue. You still need to be able to coach and manage personalities. 4/6 of his commits were 4 *. They had mass defections prior to his arrival I believe, so the jury is still out. Probably not a good idea to sign a guy with no coaching experience at all to coach, though.

Reaction Score
I don't think recruiting is his issue. You still need to be able to coach and manage personalities. 4/6 of his commits were 4 *. They had mass defections prior to his arrival I believe, so the jury is still out. Probably not a good idea to sign a guy with no coaching experience at all to coach, though.
I can't find recruits for them this year. What's up with that?

But yeah, I'm skeptical of his recruiting.

Reaction Score
I can't find recruits for them this year. What's up with that?

But yeah, I'm skeptical of his recruiting.

Yea IDK, that is weird. "Ace" recruiter of Boneyard lore, Matt Abdelmassih is on his staff. If they are terrible next year its probably an indictment on his coaching. Ponds and Lovett is a very good backcourt on paper. They have Justin Simon coming in. Jalen's teammate who for a brief time was ranked as the #1 overall player on Rivals, I guess before people realized he couldn't shoot, the same kid Arizona recruited over Tyler Dorsey.

Reaction Score
Probably wishful thinking but I feel like for the most part they'll be competing for different recruits. Ewing definitely has the star power factor but don't think it should hurt our recruiting of guards all that much for the same reason people negatively talk about KO recruiting/developing bigs
The kids being recruited today never saw Ewing play. I think the wow factor gets overplayed I think. What these high prospects care about is wether they believe the guy can get them ready for the NBA. The top 100 kids all believe they are NBA bound even though the numbers are impossible for that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom