Pat Summitt: The Final Season | The Boneyard

Pat Summitt: The Final Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
I know there are many on this board who don't like Maria Cornelius. I get, and understand, that.

However, she wrote a book about Pat's final season, and it's being released by the University of Tennessee press next week.

Swish Appeal released the first chapter of the book on their website in case anyone wants to read it. The link is "We knew it was something serious"

There have also been some book reviews if anyone wants to read those to get a sense of what is in the book.
We Back Pat

It's going to be a hard read, because this is still a fresh wound for many of us who idolized Pat. Not just as a coach, but as a person, mentor, friend, legend, etc.

I just posted this in case anyone wanted to check it out. Not to start a back and forth about the author.

Reaction Score
A PHD psychologist said (after he watched rats in a maze) that I'm supposed to not like the actions of a person because that is the actions of the person , but like the person. Figure that one out!!

Pat was a top of the heap coach for over 30 years --that alone earned her a level of respect. Then came Geno--and the ball game changed. I'll wait 20 years when the factual volume comes out--right now, with raw emotion, facts may be forgotten..

Reaction Score
A PHD psychologist said (after he watched rats in a maze) that I'm supposed to not like the actions of a person because that is the actions of the person , but like the person. Figure that one out!!

Pat was a top of the heap coach for over 30 years --that alone earned her a level of respect. Then came Geno--and the ball game changed. I'll wait 20 years when the factual volume comes out--right now, with raw emotion, facts may be forgotten..
With all due respect, I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Could you further explain. Thanks.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
I do know that she has been writing this book for over a year, using Pat's personal notes that she gave Maria. She also did hours and hours of interviews with former and current players, current and former head coaches, and several others associated with women's basketball. She didn't just write this overnight, and she didn't make up facts.

Not sure if that is what you were implying or not.

Like I said, I didn't want this to get into a back and forth about the author.

Reaction Score
With all due respect, I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Could you further explain. Thanks.
Usually after an event or Death of an important person--emotions rarely allow full truth--and books are heavily how wonderful that person was--death seems to do that to people. It takes time for the emotions to decrease and truth be told. If you want to read a feel good book --read it. If it's full of stats --why bother. Most of what Pat was and did has been widely reported. Some at UConn still have raw nerves over --the incident that shut down the home and home games.

Reaction Score
I cant wait to read the book! I am a Uconn and Yankee fan but I am a sports fan also. I am rooting for the Red Sox because David Ortiz deserves to go out on top. A Pat Summit fan since 1991 since Uconn 1st FF. Just a class actand what she did for Title IX in Tennessee is one of her many accomplishments!

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
Usually after an event or Death of an important person--emotions rarely allow full truth--and books are heavily how wonderful that person was--death seems to do that to people. It takes time for the emotions to decrease and truth be told. If you want to read a feel good book --read it. If it's full of stats --why bother. Most of what Pat was and did has been widely reported. Some at UConn still have raw nerves over --the incident that shut down the home and home games.

The book was completed before Pat's death. It was revised to include her passing.

It's only about the final season she coached too. Not Pat's history or records or anything like that. It's only about the final season she coached and the impact her illness had on the players, assistants, and fans who had to play through the season not knowing what would happen and constantly being under the spotlight.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I'm sure the sainted one's cowardice has been glossed over by Cornelius.

My problem is that I would not believe a single word of anything that she writes. IMO she is one of the main reasons that so much animosity remains between UConn and UTenn fans. The only benefit from anything Cornelius writes would be using the individual pages in the outhouse.

Reaction Score

I think UConn fans have moved on. Indeed, the basketball world has moved on. That was years ago.

I don't think even at the time that UConn fans were angry that the series was shut down. Perhaps at Tennessee's allegations of wrongdoing by UConn over Maya Moore's recruitment. But the NCAA clearly concluded that, but for a tiny phone call to arrange a tour of ESPN, Coach Auriemma and Connecticut did nothing wrong. That allegation redounded against Tennessee, not UConn.

But years have passed. Coach Summit has passed, and with her passing, everyone, including the UConn community, has acknowledged her great talents, and her tremendous contributions to women's basketball, and the advancement of women in general.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think UConn fans have moved on. Indeed, the basketball world has moved on. That was years ago.

I don't think even at the time that UConn fans were angry that the series was shut down. Perhaps at Tennessee's allegations of wrongdoing by UConn over Maya Moore's recruitment. But the NCAA clearly concluded that, but for a tiny phone call to arrange a tour of ESPN, Coach Auriemma and Connecticut did nothing wrong. That allegation redounded against Tennessee, not UConn.

But years have passed. Coach Summit has passed, and with her passing, everyone, including the UConn community, has acknowledged her great talents, and her tremendous contributions to women's basketball, and the advancement of women in general.
You might want to check the post immediately above yours and reconsider.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Thanks for the links.

From the write up on the book.

Not every chapter of The Final Season conveys such beneficent ambience. Cornelius takes to heart Flaubert’s maxim that the biography of a friend should be an act of revenge against the subject’s enemies.

Hmmmm, wonder how that'll go over.

Reaction Score

You'd be surprised how long some memories are about the immoral, unethical, uncalled for allegations presented to the NCAA and the dissertations wrongly stating facts---no apologizes were ever presented. Geno has stated he'll consider resumption of the home and home after Tenn's management and Coaching staff apologizes to Maya and her family.

Ask some more hostile Boneyarders for a site to review the allegations presented by Tenn.

Some boats leave port slowly. And those sails have never been hoisted. (that boat has sailed???)

There never was a question of Pats talents and what she did, in the past, for WBB. That was a given-- For what she accomplished
prior to Uconn being a contender was impressive. She deserves credit for scheduling a cow town college (Storrs).

Reaction Score
The book was completed before Pat's death. It was revised to include her passing.

It's only about the final season she coached too. Not Pat's history or records or anything like that. It's only about the final season she coached and the impact her illness had on the players, assistants, and fans who had to play through the season not knowing what would happen and constantly being under the spotlight.

Thanks for clearing that up---that to me is important in that it (probably) discusses the progression of the illness. Most don't know the impact that illness has on those around them--and fortunately neither do they.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Thanks for clearing that up---that to me is important in that it (probably) discusses the progression of the illness. Most don't know the impact that illness has on those around them--and fortunately neither do they.

Exactly! This book is about the illness and the toll it took on Pat and all involved. I recall how that 2012 team struggled on the court and the weight of what they shouldered that season is something that is of interest to many. The life lessons will go far beyond any thing else. LEFT FOOT, RIGHT FOOT, BREATHE!

Reaction Score
I'm sure the sainted one's cowardice has been glossed over by Cornelius.

My problem is that I would not believe a single word of anything that she writes. IMO she is one of the main reasons that so much animosity remains between UConn and UTenn fans. The only benefit from anything Cornelius writes would be using the individual pages in the outhouse.

I might have expressed it differently but you hit the nail on the head. I have a degree of respect for Summitt but less than none for Cornelius, who is a fine writer, style-wise. But her total blindness to truth and the venomous lies and other comments she has written over the years concerning anything related to UConn, it's coaches, it's players, their families and several UConn fans will never be erased from my memory. Her book should be put in the library section labelled "mythology".

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I might have expressed it differently but you hit the nail on the head. I have a degree of respect for Summitt but less than none for Cornelius, who is a fine writer, style-wise. But her total blindness to truth and the venomous lies and other comments she has written over the years concerning anything related to UConn, it's coaches, it's players, their families and several UConn fans will never be erased from my memory. Her book should be put in the library section labelled "mythology".

I'm mindful of the fact that the originator of this thread took pains to say they did not want this discussion to be about the author. So, to mtsuraider, my apologies.

The thing is, in this case it's hard to separate the quality of the work from the character of the author. I was unfamiliar with the author's name or history until Swish Appeal served as the platform for her post-Candace-gate hit piece, a screed so riddled with slander and unfounded innuendo that it causes me to question anything from her pen.

I'm curious to learn more about what went on behind the scenes in Pat's final season as head coach. But coming from this author, which parts am I to believe? The fact that such a sorry excuse for a "journalist" became anointed as the Pat Summitt hagiographist is the true disgrace to Pat's memory.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I'm mindful of the fact that the originator of this thread took pains to say they did not want this discussion to be about the author. So, to mtsuraider, my apologies.

The thing is, in this case it's hard to separate the quality of the work from the character of the author. I was unfamiliar with the author's name or history until Swish Appeal served as the platform for her post-Candace-gate hit piece, a screed so riddled with slander and unfounded innuendo that it causes me to question anything from her pen.

I'm curious to learn more about what went on behind the scenes in Pat's final season as head coach. But coming from this author, which parts am I to believe? The fact that such a sorry excuse for a "journalist" became anointed as the Pat Summitt hagiographist is the true disgrace to Pat's memory.

Better watch out or she'll sic her FBI brother on you.;)

hagiographist: The author of a worshipful piece. Similar to suck up? Yeah, I had to look it up.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Better watch out or she'll sic her FBI brother on you.;)

hagiographist: The author of a worshipful piece. Similar to suck up? Yeah, I had to look it up.

As a word nerd, I can say it's a great word. But let's face it, pretty much everything published about Pat since her passing has been hagiographic; that tends to happen when accomplished and admired people pass.

Reaction Score
Actually, I've been wondering whether Summitt's accusations didn't come out of her developing Alzheimer's. I'm not trying to be mean here. I just know from close observation, as does everyone with an Alzheimer's patient among their family, that one of the first manifestations of the disease is a change in personality. Right about that time, Summitt launched a bizarre attack on Auriemma about recruiting violations, but with nary a shred of evidence. She divorced her husband about that time. Just wonder whether the disease was getting its grip on her.

Yes, in the fullness of time, both Tennessee and her erstwhile assistant coach should clear the air by apologizing to Coach Auriemma and Connecticut. If it doesn't happen, it won't be a tragedy. Connecticut has gone on to set the standard for excellence in women's sports, while Tennessee has fallen off the map. So if it happens, fine; if it doesn't, Connecticut still has virtually all the records it could possibly set.

Reaction Score
I cant wait to read the book!
A Pat Summit fan since 1991 since Uconn 1st FF. Just a class actand what she did for Title IX in Tennessee is one of her many accomplishments!
I think what Title IX did for Pat would be more the case.

Reaction Score
I must say that there are some people on this board that really need to learn to let things go. There is nothing wrong with being angry but some of these feelings fester and good lord they cause such a horrible reaction when the subject is opened. I don't need any lessons on what happened, I've read both sides and the middle ground. I hope everyone has a blessed day. :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I can't see anyone from the Boneyard willingly putting a buck in Maria's pocket. She targeted our program, our coaches and players, as well as a couple members of our board individually. Pretty mean spirited.

I'm appreciative of Coach Summitt's legacy, but Ms. Cornelius has done nothing to earn the goodwill of Boneyard and done quite a bit to earn its distain.

JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS