Pat Summitt, her diagnosis, her staff, UT recruiting, etc. | The Boneyard

Pat Summitt, her diagnosis, her staff, UT recruiting, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
What is described in the Times article is a very normal process or seriens of events. Someone close to the patient is away for an extended period of time and upon returning notices significant changes in the patient that had been so slow and gradual that those present day to day barely noticed them. It is excellent that Micki DeMoss caught them and no doubt it helped Pat to get to the process of diagnosis and treatment.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
good article. lots more responsibility for the 3 assistants. i wonder how it will affect recruiting.

Reaction Score
good article. lots more responsibility for the 3 assistants. i wonder how it will affect recruiting.

It wil affect recruiting just like it would do when Geno leaves.

To what degree remaains to be seen. If you are choosing a college and there is a likelyhood that the coach who recruitred you won'tbethere in a year or 2, en you would have to at least consider another school.

Regardless, Tenn will still be a very good program, whoever is coaching

Reaction Score
It will affect recruiting at Tennessee. I’m guessing with recruits from the 2013 class and onward. If there a real or perceived instability in a program, recruits will be swayed to go elsewhere. It is sad to state but there are coaches that will use Pat’s illness against her and her program.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It will affect recruiting at Tennessee. I’m guessing with recruits from the 2013 class and onward. If there a real or perceived instability in a program, recruits will be swayed to go elsewhere. It is sad to state but there are coaches that will use Pat’s illness against her and her program.
i don't think it's sad per se... there is instability at tennessee for the future of the program. the reality is that for kids coming in for the class even of 2012, there's no guarantee Pat will still be there. and even she and her assistants admit she forgets things when she's talking to kids, etc. in a huge pressure situation, what will happen (down by 1, 10 seconds left, etc etc).

i guess i see your point that the whole situation is sad, but using the extreme instability of the future of the head coach of tennessee is not a nefarious tactic by any coach recruting against them.

of course, a lot depends on how other teams approach discussing that. it could have the reverse effect and turn kids (or their families) off
if the other coaches are at all insensitive or pushy with how they handle it.

"Look, we all feel for Pat and what she is going thru and how courageous she is, etc etc. However, no one knows how long she will last or even how effective she will be while she's there. Come to _______, play for me, and i'll be there for your 4 years to guide and develop you, and to help our team win"... blah blah. i'm sure there are a zillion ways to spin it...

Reaction Score
Very true EricSD... the coaches will take stabs in a indirect fashion. The coaching by committee will not help the situation at TN with the potential recruits and their families either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom