Pat Forde: Gluttony by the Big Ten and SEC Would Be Catastrophic for College Sports | The Boneyard

Pat Forde: Gluttony by the Big Ten and SEC Would Be Catastrophic for College Sports

Reaction Score

"This is next-level gluttony. And next-level cowardice."
"The two most powerful conferences in America are scared to compete. They want to begin every season with advantages built in—the most bids, the easiest playoff path—without proving it on the field. They might well end up with those benefits, but at least earn them. Instead, the richest of the rich want the biggest tax breaks."
"Predictably and understandably, most of the rest of college football is appalled. This is unchecked greed in action, a further mocking of competitive balance and a nationally cohesive sport. It’s crass and offensive and unapologetically so."

Reaction Score

"This is next-level gluttony. And next-level cowardice."
"The two most powerful conferences in America are scared to compete. They want to begin every season with advantages built in—the most bids, the easiest playoff path—without proving it on the field. They might well end up with those benefits, but at least earn them. Instead, the richest of the rich want the biggest tax breaks."
"Predictably and understandably, most of the rest of college football is appalled. This is unchecked greed in action, a further mocking of competitive balance and a nationally cohesive sport. It’s crass and offensive and unapologetically so."
Fanbase size is how they determine who is who these days

Reaction Score
It really is sad how the SEC and B1G have such little confidence to win on the field versus being guaranteed spots. And don't they know that if they can't win on the field, then they can just get selected by the corrupt CFP selection process?

Reaction Score
It really is sad how the SEC and B1G have such little confidence to win on the field versus being guaranteed spots. And don't they know that if they can't win on the field, then they can just get selected by the corrupt CFP selection process?
Those two conferences hold all the cards. The fact that they’re offering the lesser power conferences ANY automatic spots is shocking to me. Let’s be real the Big 12 and ACC (esp. once FSU leaves) are not in the same tier.

Reaction Score
Those two conferences hold all the cards. The fact that they’re offering the lesser power conferences ANY automatic spots is shocking to me. Let’s be real the Big 12 and ACC (esp. once FSU leaves) are not in the same tier.
Correct, they're not in the same tier but things can change and there's no guarantees in life. If they tried to have no auto bids for anyone else, the rest of the country would revolt with their eyeballs and their pocketbooks and the political pressure would increase as well.

Reaction Score
Correct, they're not in the same tier but things can change and there's no guarantees in life. If they tried to have no auto bids for anyone else, the rest of the country would revolt with their eyeballs and their pocketbooks and the political pressure would increase as well.
I hope that happens. Let it all burn down. Separate football from the ncaa and let basketball and Olympic sports return to regional leagues.

Reaction Score
Not in the same tier in total but there are plenty of programs in the ACC and Big 12 which are just as good and better than those in the P2. Kids can choose to go to the Oklahoma States and NC States rather than the Indianas and Arkansases of the world and enjoy just as much opportunity to play for a championship as the P2 schools.

I actually think the Arizona schools benefit more for kids who want to stay close to home. Lots of travel to Texas and Utah rather than Oregon and Washington.

Reaction Score
At some level while the b10 and sec are getting the blame I almost positive this request is coming from the acc and b12 who are worried that either their league champ will be the odd man out or they're worried they'll be shown out by their second team being in the low 20s and worried another conference in the g5 might punk them for two teams.

Edit: I said league champ, I meant more on the lines that their best team won't be league champ. I think? I mildly screwed that up

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Giving conference multiple automatic bids turns the CFP into a glorified series of bowl games that over time, no one, including the players, will take seriously.

Reaction Score
At least he's not blaming UConn for ALL the problems in college sports. I mean our men's swimming cuts really threw the college sports environment into a tizzy...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom