Passing Game | The Boneyard

Passing Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
12-21-1-228 combined for the three of them.

Would I have liked 4-6 more completions and total attempts somewhere between 25-30? Sure.

But here's what I really liked. Four different receivers with receptions of 20 yards or more.

Deleone stated a desire to stretch the defenses and make the passing game more vertical and they delivered.

In years past with Edsall we'd steamroll the powder puffs but hadn't shown a vertical passing game. I think we did that today without giving away too many schemes for Vandy to view.

I definitely expect to see some more surprises and offensive sets we're not accustomed to seeing.

And that's a good thing.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I was excited when Nebrich threw deep but the DB recovered and knocked the ball away. I was excited because we threw deep and the ball wasn't ten yards out of bounds when it got to its destination.

I liked Johnny Mac's throws, but I question if he has the footwork to move within the pocket to buy himself an extra second to get off a pass.

I wonder if we let McCumming's throw more against Vandy, to keep em honest and if we don't see Nebrich at all next week. I know its Vandy, but that is a tough environment for a true freshman against a defense that will play a lot faster than what they saw today.

Reaction Score
MacEntee is accurate as advertised. On the near pick he just put too much air under it and the wind held it up. He showed good arm strength on some of his other throws and was on target most of the day. But to call him immobile is being kind. He looks like he's stuck in quicksand.

Reaction Score
I wish we could just combine all 3 of our QBs into 1. That'd be a hell of a football player.

Reaction Score
Agree, you don't need to be fast, look at Tom Brady for example, but you have to be able to move within the pocket to help out your blockers. Johnny looks like a kid that would have benefited from taking salsa or ball room dancing lessons over the summer. Even his drops look like a chore for him, but it was nice to see him deliver catchable passes to receivers. I really hope he improves with reps because we could be in for a nice season if he does.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I wish we could just combine all 3 of our QBs into 1. That'd be a hell of a football player.

Luckily the more athletic QBs are younger and have time to learn to throw as well as McEntee throws. A guy like McEntee is not likely to be able to learn how to move in the pocket and is obviously never going to have the speed that Nebrich has let alone the speed that McCummings has. Nebrich and McCummings are more likely to develop into better passers.

Reaction Score
My sense is that P and DeLeone think that Nebrich is the guy they eventually want, but that they can't just throw him in the fire as a true freshman but need to get his feet wet first. If that's not the case, why play him at all?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's important to get all three snaps since Box left.

Given the high probability that at least on of the three will miss some time due to injuries, you don't want to be left with a back up with zero game experience.

We're in a rare situation where all three need game experience.

DieHardHusky

The Blue Guy
Reaction Score
It was good to see all 3 QBs get some playing time, and I loved it when we were taking the shots downfield and on the fade to Geremy that was incomplete due to a Pass Interference call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom