Pass the ball! | The Boneyard

Pass the ball!

Reaction Score
When Bouk was out last year, we were pleasantly surprised that the team hung tough and even won a few games (Marquette!) that we didn't expect to win.

They were moving the ball around much more with Bouk out (note: I am not saying they were a better team without him, but lacking a guy who could deliver like Bouk, they became unselfish).

This year's team is playing a lot more hero ball than they did when Bouk was out last year. I really hope they get back to what they did in the middle of last year. Mostly, I don't see the guards kicking out and swinging the ball around. We're driving a lot and Gaffney and Cole in particular aren't kicking the ball back out. I know we need scoring and Cole is doing very well getting us those points, but I don't have much faith in this approach, especially against the better teams.

Games like last night show that we have so many players who can hit open shots. But because we don't have a Bouk out there, the players don't trust each other enough to work the ball around to get key players open.

Most of these players can hit the open 3. Most of them: Polley, Gaffney, Cole, Martin, Akok, Hawkins, Diggins, Whaley, even Johnson. The opposition can't guard everyone.

Several of them can also get the ball in open space and drive to the hole.

We have a lot more offensive capabilities than we showed in our tougher games -- with the exception of Auburn, but even against Auburn, we just shot really really well as opposed to moving the ball around.

Reaction Score
Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

Curiouser
Reaction Score
But in the post game presser, Hurley said he wanted Hawkings to shoot more. He thought Hawk was passing up too many open looks.
This was my point to @Umami Zen the other day when he was clamoring for Hawkins to defer to his teammates more and look for his own shot less: his role is to shoot and that’s what Hurley wants him to do. If anything he is passing too much, which is what Hurley is saying too.

To that end, we need to run more plays for Hawkins if he is going to execute on that game plan.

Reaction Score
This was my point to @Umami Zen the other day when he was clamoring for Hawkins to defer to his teammates more and look for his own shot less: his role is to shoot and that’s what Hurley wants him to do. If anything he is passing too much, which is what Hurley is saying too.

To that end, we need to run more plays for Hawkins if he is going to execute on that game plan.

Hawkins needs a license to shoot the ball every time he touches it if he's open anywhere on the 3 point line. He is a beast in the catch and shoot. At any point in the shot clock.

We sometimes wait for a longer possession and end up with a worse shot.

He had one bad transition 3 yesterday. If he settles down that should be a staple of his game. His balance on the catch is gorgeous

Reaction Score
There are very few CBB players who have the form/range/mechanics that Hawk has on his shooting. His shot looks like its going in even on his misses. I am ecstatic that he is wearing a UConn jersey and delivering the goods. His coach wants him to shoot more and he wants to shoot more. As @8893 has said. This is his role on the team.

At the time of my comment some observations had been made that Hawk looks frustrated when he's open and doesn't get passed to. In fact some Yarders even said it looked like some of his teammates avoided passing to him.I also commented that I thought his body language showed his frustration.

That ship has sailed now with our recent injuries and the blessing of his coach to fire away. He is clearly a talented young player in his ascension into a prime time player. While he's in Storrs he will play a major role in many of our successes and victories. Time to shock Huggins.

Reaction Score
I used to say that every shot that Ben Gordon took was a good shot. Early in the shot clock, double teamed, whatever. And while that is over stating the case. Almost every shot Ben took was a good shot because he was taking it.

It's starting to look like the same will apply to Hawk.

Reaction Score
tested. and Diggins both were bypased when wide open in recent games.
The player who bypassed ass should be right next to the coach on bench after the TO necessitated by the act.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Hawkins needs a license to shoot the ball every time he touches it if he's open anywhere on the 3 point line. He is a beast in the catch and shoot. At any point in the shot clock.

We sometimes wait for a longer possession and end up with a worse shot.

He had one bad transition 3 yesterday. If he settles down that should be a staple of his game. His balance on the catch is gorgeous

He's figuring it out. Earlier, I saw him being guarded and deciding that breaking down his man and going 1 on 3 was the right move. I don't want him doing that. I want him passing out when he's guarded tight. If he can beat that man, and two guys swarm to him, somebody is open. When the ball is moving it will find its way back to him and he will get open looks. So yes, shoot when open. Don't shoot when not open. I think freshman have a learning curve from playing on a team where they had to be the man.

Reaction Score
Bypassed ass? You sure you have the right site?
This kind of thing sometimes happens to me when I'm typing, all of a sudden the cursor jumps to the middle of a previous sentence and I make no sense.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Thread title makes no sense because from what I saw the team set up plays and passed the ball quite a bit more than I’ve been used to seeing.

They absolutely did. At least most of the game. Gaffney went through a stretch where I think he was trying to prove something to the coaches and instead proved he needed to sit. He moved the ball much better when he returned.

Ball movement and off the ball movement were horrifically bad against MES. Just lots of dribbling and ISO. Not team basketball.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Thread title makes no sense because from what I saw the team set up plays and passed the ball quite a bit more than I’ve been used to seeing.
I agree, I haven't seen a ton of hero ball this year.

Reaction Score
If your advice is as fundamental as we need to "pass the ball" more, then you really have zero (or very little) faith in the coaching staff. What do you think they are doing in practice?

have faith that DH and crew are familiar with passing

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score

This is the old argument that, is a good shot a shot by a good shooter, or is a good shot an open shot? Given the list of players who have hit threes at a reasonable clip this year (see above) I prefer ball movement and an open shot over telling a guy it's his job to shoot. That can lead, especially at crunch time, to forced/bad shots and 4 guys standing around.

Of course, designing plays, pick & rolls, pick & pops and the like to free up the good shooters, or working inside out when the out defender has to double is the best way to get the good shooter the good shot

The one guy right now who should not take the 3 is, unfortunately, Jackson. He's got work to do.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have debated to say anything else on the original post of mine. But here goes. It has much less to do with Hawkins talents as a shooter/scorer and more about his body language prior to the injuries of TM/AS. If you've ever played or coached sports you realize that a younger ascendant talent such as Hawk has an assimilation/adjustment period with upperclassmen who are comfortable in their own roles as the younger guy shows his in-game value . The older guys are initially reluctant to hand over the keys of the car to the young guy. It is critical to have the coach/staff help facilitate acceptance of the younger guys with the older guys/vets. Post-injuries -DH has made it clear about him wanting Hawk to be more assertive by taking more shots and for the team to understand/accept his role.

IMO .Prior to the injuries.. The assimilation period was still in transition re: passing to the young guy when/if he was open.With the injuries and with the help of DH's blessing.. There are points that need to be replaced by others until TM/AS get back in the lineup .Lost a lot of production with those injuries that needs to be reproduced by the rest of the team. Hawk is clearly one of those guys.

Glad Hawk is on the team and look forward to the team developing chemistry on the floor as they win more games.

Reaction Score
I thought we moved the ball well against Grambling St. There were no players that only looked to shoot the ball. Andre looks like he is throwing a dart when he shoots a three. It is very surprising with all the coaching available that he has come into the season with his 3 point shooting form. It is best for Hawkins that he shoot when open and not force things. Team play not relying on one player will get us through this.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Last year-12.9 assist per game
This year-15.9 assist per game

Take it for what it’s worth.

In our one loss against Michigan State, we had 6. It has been better, we just seem to go through stretches of play where the ball stops moving and people stop moving. The press doesn't help, shortening our shot clock...unless we attack it with passes instead of trying to dribble through it. That is what I am looking to see tonight, WVU will press. We have to attack it through the air. Akok being in will help there, he's a superb target.

Reaction Score
;Both Hawkiins and Diggins both were bypased when wide open in recent games.
The player who bypassed ass should be right next to the coach on bench after the TO necessitated by the act.

Reaction Score
If your advice is as fundamental as we need to "pass the ball" more, then you really have zero (or very little) faith in the coaching staff. What do you think they are doing in practice?

have faith that DH and crew are familiar with passing
I have a lot of faith in the coaching staff.

Your first premise doesn't follow with your conclusion.

The players can develop more over the course of the season, and the fact that I even mentioned that this is what happened previously under Hurley, shows that teams can become better passing teams under the coach you said I must have no faith in.

I mean, Calhoun's teams used to look discombobulated even into January--but they usually came around.

Reaction Score

Not a decent comp for me. Games over the course of an entire year versus 5 games against cupcakes and 3 against decent teams.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

There's something happening here but what it is ain't exactly clear.

Reaction Score
I have a lot of faith in the coaching staff.

Your first premise doesn't follow with your conclusion.

The players can develop more over the course of the season, and the fact that I even mentioned that this is what happened previously under Hurley, shows that teams can become better passing teams under the coach you said I must have no faith in.

I mean, Calhoun's teams used to look discombobulated even into January--but they usually came around.
You want them to pass more? sorta like they did mid-season last year. When Bouk was out. You are concerned they are playing a bit too much hero ball? You think we have enough shooters, but we need to focus on moving the ball more so we can take advantage of them. Is this roughly your point?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom