Partial Qualifier | The Boneyard

Partial Qualifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I remember this often being an issue when recruiting players with the academic credentials of Montrell Dobbs. Schools such as Temple and Marshall were Able to accept these players because they were not in a BCS conference.

Now that we have been dropped to the AAC are we allowed to except partial qualifiers?

Reaction Score
Sorry everyone, but this is a valid question. Since next week is the AAC conference, I hope someone asks the Commissioner and in particular UConn’s leadership about this. Of course in the old Big East, partial qualifiers were not allowed, but CUSA did allow them. So the question is: will the AAC now allow partial qualifiers?, and if so will UConn then allow them?

Reaction Score
The partial qualifiers are such a tough issue. I think you get great success stories about 20% of the time, but the other 80% are probably guys who don't really belong here. That's the issue with UConn trying to go the Boise State model in this awful conference - I don't think we'll take partial qualifiers like Boise does.

Reaction Score
The partial qualifiers are such a tough issue. I think you get great success stories about 20% of the time, but the other 80% are probably guys who don't really belong here. That's the issue with UConn trying to go the Boise State model in this awful conference - I don't think we'll take partial qualifiers like Boise does.

Since we are making statistics up, I think 90% turn out to be great contributors and 10% end up being washouts

Reaction Score
It is a legitimate question. In the past UConn has not accepted partial qualifiers in football, but most of the schools in our league have I think. Or at least were allowed to. Don't know the individual policies of the schools. We've done it for other sports, though and the world hasn't come to an end. I can imagine a scenario where the AAC allows it but UConn doesn't.

Reaction Score
From my understanding there technically haven't been any "partial qualifiers" in D1 since 2006. I say technically because coming out of high school a student athlete either qualifies, or does not. However, they can apply to waivers from the NCAA if they are classified as a "non-qualifier" that may cause them to be treated in much the same way partial qualifiers were prior to 2006 (able to practice with the team but not play and receive financial aid.)

1. >>In 2005, the NCAA no longer allowed for partial qualifiers. They do provide a waiver process for non-qualifiers and if granted, then that SA has a similar situation that a former partial qualifier would have had. Now, a SA is either a qualifier or non-qualifier. Leaving the waiver process out of this discussion, a non-qualifier has two routes they can take to become eligible to compete at the D-I level.

The student can continue to attend the 4-year institution without any athletically related aid and is unable to compete and practice. A non-qualifier can not even attend practices in any capacity (read: manager). After one year in residence, the student can request a re-evaluation of their status with the NCAA and the institution and can become eligible to compete and practice if they meet certain Progress Toward Degree (PTD) requirements (another article on PTD and continuing eligibility to come).

The second route a non-qualifier can take is the 2-year college route. Most non-qualifiers take this route, because they can attend a 2-year institution, receive athletically related aid, practice and compete immediately. However, if a non-qualifier takes this route, there are strict requirements to be eligible to transfer to a 4-year institution and compete:
  • Earn Associates Degree from 2-year institution
  • Have a minimum of three full-time semesters
  • Have a 2.0+ on all transferable coursework (key word is transferable)
  • Earn 48 transferable hours toward a specific degree at the 4-year institution
  • Earn 6 hours of College Level English
  • Earn 3 Hours of College Level Math
Those are the basicstipulations (there are more for Men’s Basketball) to be a 2-4 non-qualifier and compete at the 4-year institution. As I said earlier, in 2005 the NCAA removed all legislation pertaining to partial qualifiers and no longer have that designation. Thus, all NCAA institutions and conference abide by these minimum standards for qualification status."<<

2. http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/sacl/genrel/auto_pdf/ncaa-requirements.pdf (sliding scale - look @ #'s)

3. http://www.midpac.edu/counseling/downloads/Mid Pacific college night Freshman Eligibility.pdf

The question that needs to be asked is "what is the numbers of non-qualifiers (if any) that are allowed on campus that can become eligible after one year." That I believe is addressed by individual conferences. I believe that I read somewhere that the ACC allows up to 4 total (2 male & 2 female) but no more than one per sport.

Reaction Score
Since we are making statistics up, I think 90% turn out to be great contributors and 10% end up being washouts

Never tried to claim I was quoting a statistic. Might want to work on reading comprehension.

With that being said, I bet my numbers are closer than yours.

Reaction Score
I say partial qualifiers, or if that is unthinkable, then lets hire Carolina's academic coordinator(s).

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Never tried to claim I was quoting a statistic. Might want to work on reading comprehension.

With that being said, I bet my numbers are closer than yours.

I didn't say that you were quoting a statistic. I said you were making numbers up, which you were. Its no big deal chill out. just a joke.

What does comprehension mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer