parity... | The Boneyard

parity...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've mentioned this before.

What is the P5 going to do when parity begins to show its ugly head... when the likes of Alabama, Michigan, Texas, OSU, and even Oklahoma can't cake walk through their conference.

What's their media partners going to do when these money makers are reduced to pedestrian 9-3 or god forbid 8-4 teams? what happens when the national debate, which currently focuses on the best undefeated or one loss team has to distinguish between 30 teams from 5 conferences with 2-3 losses.

8 Top 25 teams lost this weekend to a lower ranked team within their conference. 3 were top 5 (oregon, alabama, and oklahoma)...

it's not going to happen over night, but it's going to happen. if you continue to shrink the pool, it's going to get harder and harder to differentiate the have's and have not's... and the fan base is trained by the media to only focus on the winners....

so what happens first. the fans begins to waver and lose interest because for 20 years the only thing that mattered was undefeated school A was playing undefeated school B? the media shifts their spin and focuses on only a handful of programs despite the record (ie Texas and Michigan) focusing more on tradition and history? And, does this somehow create an opportunity for schools outside the P5 to gain a foothold?

Reaction Score
Ultimately you will see a model that more closely resembles the NFL. We will likely see an expanded playoff with wildcard/at large entrants included. I can see a consolidation of The P5 into a P4 allowing for 4 P4 conference champs and 4 wildcards. The wildcards could come from the P4 Leagues or from independents and G5 Entrants. I could definitely see The current P5 Schools reserving a spot in the playoffs for the top G5 School in order to avoid Gov't intervention. I see something like this...

Tournament

1)SEC Champ
8)G5 Entrant (WC)

4)Big 12/ACC Champ
5)SEC #2 (WC)

3)B1g Champ
6)ND (WC)

2)PAC 12 Champ
7)Top Remaining P5 Team (WC)

1st round played at the higher seeded teams home stadium.
Semis played on rotation between Rose, Sugar, Orange, Fiesta, Cotton, Peach Etc.
Final played on rotation of games above, or put out to bid like the Super Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger
Top Bottom