Parity is mediocrity dressed up | The Boneyard

Parity is mediocrity dressed up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This morning's Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/why-the-dominance-of-the-u-conn-womens-team-should-be-embraced/2016/03/31/f6bfb6aa-f6f5-11e5-8b23-538270a1ca31_story.html takes up the subject we've all been talking about. It makes many interesting observations, among them:

-sports dynasties transcend winning and rises to the level of art (define art)
-how should we feel about dominance?
-”No one really likes blowouts.” (full disclosure: I do)
-in sports there is “impersonal competition,” in which a team strives to achieve something besides winning
-”How great is unchallenged greatness?”
-great teams make their sports better
-”parity is often mediocrity coated in drama”

There may be enough here to chew on until tip-off. Let's hope.

Reaction Score
Nice article.
I am amazed at how many others fail to recognize that UConn dominance at this level is likely to end as our seniors graduate. Enjoy excellence and the sheer beauty of their play while you can.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I hope I remember this post in 1, 2, or 3 years, especially this quote:

"This could be the end of U-Conn.’s possession of women’s college basketball. Stewart is graduating. The Huskies haven’t had the top-ranked recruiting class since Stewart’s mega-class in 2012; Maryland earned this year’s. The championship streak is bound to end soon."

Time will tell us whether it's the players or the process. I'll pick process every time.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

"This could be the end of U-Conn.’s possession of women’s college basketball. Stewart is graduating. The Huskies haven’t had the top-ranked recruiting class since Stewart’s mega-class in 2012; Maryland earned this year’s. The championship streak is bound to end soon."

Time will tell us whether it's the players or the process. I'll pick process every time.

Of course, it is not either but both: the right blend of players superbly trained and conditioned.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Among teams in the NBA, aside from 5 really very good teams, there is great parity. You know, those 3/4s of loafing followed by a quarter of mosh pit nonsense. As Sir Charles has so recently said, most NBA organizations are a disgrace, ripping off their fans. The sports on the top of the heap have always renewed and broadened fan support with dynasties and players seemingly larger than life.

Reaction Score

When was the last time UConn won a title without a generational type player (as they've inaccurately come to be called) like Stewie, Maya, or DT? We certainly have seen them fail to win one with those type of players, but have they ever won a title without one? Coaching matters. Having the head and shoulders above everyone else top player in the country matters a lot more.

Reaction Score
Nice article.
I am amazed at how many others fail to recognize that UConn dominance at this level is likely to end as our seniors graduate. Enjoy excellence and the sheer beauty of their play while you can.

I'm kind of reminded about watching Katie Lou shoot the ball in videos of her game before she came to UConn. I don't believe that I ever saw her miss a shot. When she finally arrived and DID miss a few, I couldn't quite grasp that this was possible. Same with UConn: they haven't lost in so long that I can't imagine their ever losing. How to prepare for that day is something I wonder about regularly.

Reaction Score
I'm kind of reminded about watching Katie Lou shoot the ball in videos of her game before she came to UConn. I don't believe that I ever saw her miss a shot. When she finally arrived and DID miss a few, I couldn't quite grasp that this was possible. Same with UConn: they haven't lost in so long that I can't imagine their ever losing. How to prepare for that day is something I wonder about regularly.
Stewie and company once lost four times in a single season. It happens.

Reaction Score
Stewie and company once lost four times in a single season. It happens.

And I have yet to fully recover from those loses. With this program, you remember the loses at least as much as the wins; maybe more . . . (I still have nightmares about Kaleena missing an open three that would have won a ND game and UConn failing to foul in the closing seconds at Stanford to take away the possibility of a three and of the Huskies losing possession of the ball with seconds to play with Achonwa laying it in for the win.)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The whole point missed about UConn's dominance isn't that they win every year - they don't. It's more that they are rarely out of the discussion. That rarely lose when they have dominant , unique senior players the way Baylor did with Griner. Looking back, many people forget that Sue Bird was not even viewed to be the best guard in UConns freshman class that year. The answer is that the coaching is like none elsewhere. That programs like Duke and Maryland and Notre Dame get a load of AAs often but only once in a while win it all if at all. Next wear, if UConn doesn't lose some games and does win it all, I'll be surprised. We lose too much, but I'll guess we'll still be a tough out.

As for parity at a higher level, not at a universally mediocre level, this year at least seems to come a little closer to top tier parity than I've seen. Several well coached teams and disciplined, intense teams. Hopefully it's more than a one year deal.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
When was the last time UConn won a title without a generational type player (as they've inaccurately come to be called) like Stewie, Maya, or DT? We certainly have seen them fail to win one with those type of players, but have they ever won a title without one? Coaching matters. Having the head and shoulders above everyone else top player in the country matters a lot more.

2000. Tamika Catchings won most of the POY awards.

Reaction Score
If having the head and shoulders above everyone else top player in the Country matters more than Coaching -What happened at Baylor with Griner and Sims,Oklahoma with the Paris Sisters,Stanford with the Ogwumike Sisters,Norte Dame with Skyler,Loyd,and McBride, and Louisville with Angel ?

Reaction Score
In 2003 and 2004 we had D and nobody else did. We had Maria Conlon,Ann Strother and Barbara Turner. After that we had Jessica Moore and Wilnett Crocket. Maria was a decent shooter. Ann and Barbara never developed into elite players and our centers were just tough. Jessica finished the championship game with a torn ACL. Those years were a combination of D's will and the coaching staff keeping it all together. You don't have to have the greatest individual players to win but you need at least one elite player and a group that can play together and be willing to do whatever it takes.

Reaction Score
Geno's used this quote once (though I'm fairly sure he didn't originate it):
You can train a donkey to race , but it isn't going to win the Preakness.

He can coach up a team only so much, but if what he has are plodders and somebody else has the thoroughbreds, it'll be heavy going.
The key is to find at least that one winner chomping at the bit that can pull the rest of the team past the post first.
(k, I'll stop now :p)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Loved this article as it was on the money. Where there is no benchmark there can be no greatness. Where there is no greatness there can only be mediocrity.

Often parity is mediocrity, but not always. Within parity can lie epic greatness. When the AFL and the NFL merged once parity between the now conferences was attained you reached the new golden age of football. The same with the merger of the ABA and the NBA. The leagues reached a new popularity then because of rivalries that pitted the old guard (in football, Dallas) versus the new upstarts (Steelers). In basketball the teams LA and the Celtics were old NBA teams, but the Lakers played a showy, ABA style of ball versus the older style Celtics. Parity then led to popularity when rivalries captured the nations interest. The same could happen in WCBB again. Except now UConn is the established old guard.

Reaction Score
If having the head and shoulders above everyone else top player in the Country matters more than Coaching -What happened at Baylor with Griner and Sims,Oklahoma with the Paris Sisters,Stanford with the Ogwumike Sisters,Norte Dame with Skyler,Loyd,and McBride, and Louisville with Angel ?
All but Griner are not so-called generational players, and Baylor did win one title with Griner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom