Parents on Signing Day | The Boneyard

Parents on Signing Day

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Seems to be annual rite of passage. At least one parent has to be jerk when their son announces.

From my neck of the woods.

Yes, this is the same Escambia High as Emmitt Smith and Trent Richardson.

BREAKING: Escambia's Jacob Copeland signs with Florida

Jacob Copeland and his lengthy recruiting saga came to an end at Escambia High on Wednesday's National Signing Day, when he announced live on ESPN2 that he'll play for Florida, picking the Gators and coach Dan Mullen over Alabama and Tennessee.

Copeland's decision triggered an emotional moment on national television by his mother, who was decked out in Alabama gear. Seated to his right, she walked out of the announcement after her son put on a Florida hat.

Copeland's mother eventually came back into the Escambia gym and hugged her son.

636536124253793056-COPELAND.jpg

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The only reason she was upset was because she has to give a lot of money back to the Bama boosters.

She walked out to find out if the Florida boosters would cover it. When they said "yes, and will throw in a little extra" she came back and gave him a hug.

Reaction Score
Don’t have any sympathy for the kid at all. Drama queens. He embarrassed his mother. Had him sitting next to him in a Bama shirt and a Tenn hat. These kids who play the hat game are straight clowns. Yeah, I know they’re in HS and by definition they’re idiots, but the best decision I ever made was when I stopped following all this nonsense.

Reaction Score
Seems to be annual rite of passage. At least one parent has to be jerk when their son announces.

From my neck of the woods.

Yes, this is the same Escambia High as Emmitt Smith and Trent Richardson.

BREAKING: Escambia's Jacob Copeland signs with Florida

Jacob Copeland and his lengthy recruiting saga came to an end at Escambia High on Wednesday's National Signing Day, when he announced live on ESPN2 that he'll play for Florida, picking the Gators and coach Dan Mullen over Alabama and Tennessee.

Copeland's decision triggered an emotional moment on national television by his mother, who was decked out in Alabama gear. Seated to his right, she walked out of the announcement after her son put on a Florida hat.

Copeland's mother eventually came back into the Escambia gym and hugged her son.

636536124253793056-COPELAND.jpg

LOVE the kid in the pic giving him the "what the hell" look....Just curious how the mom is the jerk here? Obviously felt like a fool and had to hide for a bit. The punk punked his own mother.

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Or she knew but thought she could change his mind at the last minute. My mother would have been of that mindset.

This is just as likely. He didn’t seem surprised that she left.

Reaction Score
How do you all know the kid dresses his mom? How do you know he had made his decision and decided to prank his mom? How do you know his character enough to call him a punk? How come nobody mentioned the guy behind him (dad/brother/uncle??) who was dressed in Tennessee gear? He didn't seem to upset that the kid picked Florida. How do you know the guy behind him didn't go to Tennessee, the mom didn't go to Alabama, and they both were leaning on him heavily to pick "their" school, but he wanted Florida the entire time.

How do you know that he didn't think/know making that decision would break his mom's heart? Or that he was going to pick Bama, but changed his mind at the last minute because he didn't want to give in to the pressure of a mom trying to decide his life for him? NONE of that is possible? The kid must be a "punk"?

The mom ALSO had a Tennessee hat on with her Alabama shirt. Clearly they just didn't want him at Florida. If you think looking at that picture tells the story, you need to watch the video. The guy behind (must be his dad or uncle) in Tennessee gear started clapping immediately after he picked Florida. He didn't smile, but he supported the kid's decision and didn't walk out.

I'm stunned how many people think they know exactly what transpired between two people they've never met based on what they were wearing. Where have I heard that argument before? #LookHowSheWasDressed

FFS I can't believe the nerve of some of you pretending to know something you possibly can't, and trashing a kid in the process. Have to agree with @Chin Diesel the mom appears to be the jerk for walking out because she was upset about something that's his decision and his alone.

You guys think it's more likely he intentionally embarrassed his mom on national TV than the mom just storming off because she was pissed he didn't do what she wanted him to? Unreal.

Reaction Score
Don’t have any sympathy for the kid at all. Drama queens. He embarrassed his mother. Had him sitting next to him in a Bama shirt and a Tenn hat. These kids who play the hat game are straight clowns. Yeah, I know they’re in HS and by definition they’re idiots, but the best decision I ever made was when I stopped following all this nonsense.
The drama queen is the one who picked up her things and left because she didn't get what she wanted.

Reaction Score
In addition to Copeland showing up himself in Alabama's red sport jacket and bow tie, his mother's Tennessee hat and Bama sweatshirt and the guy (father? uncle? friend? advisor?) in back sporting a Tennessee jacket and likely hat suggests confusion, family indecision, last minute change of heart, late SEC bonus incentive changes, etc. Takes all kinds to make up the world ...

Reaction Score
This whole thing reminds me of an interview I saw many years ago with Bear Bryant. They asked him why he was such a successful recruiter (aside from the bags of cash I assume) and he said "I always recruit the Mamas" Asked why he said: "Because if mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy"

Hopefully this was staged or this kid could have some problems.

Last edited:

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Common sense ain’t to common
Stupid is as stupid was
Should I continue?

Reaction Score
I think the whole thing with high school kids picking a cap is just a really great idea. Demonstrates great respect to all the programs involved and clearly demonstrates a selfless perspective...........this drives me crazy!

Reaction Score
I think it’s just as likely that they choreographed the whole thing to get on SC and on ESPN’s homepage. There’s no sympathetic figures here.
Maybe. If so they’re all a bunch of &&&holes.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

All glory to God, I see. Quite the young man you are raising, Mom.

Is it wrong for me to wish this kid does not pan out (football-wise only)?

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
The only reason she was upset was because she has to give a lot of money back to the Bama boosters.

She walked out to find out if the Florida boosters would cover it. When they said "yes, and will throw in a little extra" she came back and gave him a hug.

Who is gonna pay for the Charger now?

Reaction Score

All glory to God, I see. Quite the young man you are raising, Mom.

Is it wrong for me to wish this kid does not pan out (football-wise only)?

Yes.

He is a kid having fun in a spotlight he didn't create. Those who watch ESPN, read recruiting mags, and frequent internet site about college athletics.............that would be us, made that stage. Why shouldn't he have a little fun? It isn't my style, but what harm did he cause? Stop watching, reading, clicking and it will stop. Can't light matches then complain about the smoke.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom