Pardon My Take - Calhoun Interview | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pardon My Take - Calhoun Interview

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This interview is solid gold. Grit guy…. Far more than I realized.

And it’s a fantastic refresher for the young UConn fans that might not have been old enough to fully appreciate the Calhoun era.

Reaction Score
Big Cat is a Chicago guy. Which actually makes the love for Calhoun even better. We were/are a National program.

This was a great interview. Won’t help with recruiting but just good to have the program in the National spotlight. We are all lucky to have had a legend like JC. The man is a beauty.
Big Cat is originally from Massachusetts.

Reaction Score
Those basketballs are incredible. Calhoun was a great sport - for as long as Big Cat's dined out on that Ryan Gomes quote he must have been bouncing off the ceiling.

I've always thought that among any public figure I've ever interacted with Calhoun was the most different from his public persona. Just an awesome guy who's always got time for people.

Reaction Score
I like Hurley as a coach but he's an objectively terrible interview. That may not be the case if he were not a coach, but by and large he's pretty careful about what he says, and it's largely peppered with athletic clichés.
This is why I said I’d like to see them do a collaborative thing with the family.

I don’t think he could carry one himself, but I do think the conversations may be more interesting w/ pops & bro there cause it wouldn’t all necessarily be about current things.

Lastly, I think. The PMT guys could interview a tax auditor and make it interesting. They really do a master class in semi-serious interviewing

Reaction Score
Lastly, I think. The PMT guys could interview a tax auditor and make it interesting. They really do a master class in semi-serious interviewing

Not Dak Prescott or AJ Green, as I recall. Those dudes were like listening to someone read the phone book.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What's a phone book? I haven't seen one of those in years.
Someone periodically leaves one by my mailbox. I leave it there until trash day and just throw it in the can.

Reaction Score
Not Dak Prescott or AJ Green, as I recall. Those dudes were like listening to someone read the phone book.

There have been a handful of awkward or contentious ones.. Dak is the oddest one I remember listening to, Dan Marino was also very awkward. They had Aaron Donald on with some other dude who was in business with him and he was a total tool, they wanted to talk to Aaron and he kept forcefully steering the conversation to their energy drink. The famous one they mention is passing is Dan Blizerian, who's people said they would sue if it came out. Would give my right arm to hear that one!

Reaction Score
Love Calhoun. His public persona was always very curmudgeony, but having spoke to him a ton since he started at USJ, he's just genuinely a nice guy. Like, he doesn't ask "how are you" because he thinks he has to. If he asks, it's because he wants to know. I mean, he's still a grumpy old man, but he has the best interest of his people at heart.

He and KEA speaking to me at their camp when I was 10 or so really changed my life. Never would've become a player, coach, teacher etc. without it.

Reaction Score
If you know you saw one years ago that would seem to indicate that you know what they are.
You are correct, I knew I should have left off that last sentence. The point being that the younger folks probably have no clue about such things.

Reaction Score
Love Calhoun. His public persona was always very curmudgeony, but having spoke to him a ton since he started at USJ, he's just genuinely a nice guy. Like, he doesn't ask "how are you" because he thinks he has to. If he asks, it's because he wants to know. I mean, he's still a grumpy old man, but he has the best interest of his people at heart.

He and KEA speaking to me at their camp when I was 10 or so really changed my life. Never would've become a player, coach, teacher etc. without it.
I always enjoyed listening to Calhoun and I respected his adversarial relationship with some media types who never built a thing in their lives. I used to go to The Sports Bar in Windham occasionally and one bartender there couldn't stand Calhoun. I never understood that since Calhoun and UConn Basketball probably increased his tips.

Reaction Score
I always enjoyed listening to Calhoun and I respected his adversarial relationship with some media types who never built a thing in their lives. I used to go to The Sports Bar in Windham occasionally and one bartender there couldn't stand Calhoun. I never understood that since Calhoun and UConn Basketball probably increased his tips.

I mean I know a former player who absolutely despises the guy. I think he was pissed his wife made him invite Calhoun to the wedding. He's a polarizing personality for sure

Reaction Score
The jealousy coursing through my veins that they got those basketballs is severe and debilitating.
I am sure Jim would sign one for you. That was a great interview. Really enjoyed it.

Reaction Score
I mean I know a former player who absolutely despises the guy. I think he was pissed his wife made him invite Calhoun to the wedding. He's a polarizing personality for sure
I really don’t see Jim Calhoun as a polarizing personality at all. He’s a great guy. True, he holds people accountable and a few people can’t deal with that because that’s a new expectation in their lives.

Reaction Score
Those basketballs are incredible. Calhoun was a great sport - for as long as Big Cat's dined out on that Ryan Gomes quote he must have been bouncing off the ceiling.

I've always thought that among any public figure I've ever interacted with Calhoun was the most different from his public persona. Just an awesome guy who's always got time for people.
A lot of that sideline stuff was for our entertainment and more importantly for his. I totally agree with your observations.

Reaction Score
I really don’t see Jim Calhoun as a polarizing personality at all. He’s a great guy. True, he holds people accountable and a few people can’t deal with that because that’s a new expectation in their lives.
Couldn’t agree more.

Reaction Score
There have been a handful of awkward or contentious ones.. Dak is the oddest one I remember listening to, Dan Marino was also very awkward. They had Aaron Donald on with some other dude who was in business with him and he was a total tool, they wanted to talk to Aaron and he kept forcefully steering the conversation to their energy drink. The famous one they mention is passing is Dan Blizerian, who's people said they would sue if it came out. Would give my right arm to hear that one!

I remember the Marino one they flat out said on the podcast before they aired it that it was terrible.

Hurley would be awesome with them if it ever happens though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom