Parasite | The Boneyard

Parasite

Reaction Score
This South Korean film has been getting a lot of buzz and justifiably so. Extremely funny and thrilling, occasionally a bit on the nose but I loved it anyways. A lot of twists and surprises and changing tone throughout. S Korean cinema in general is regularly spitting out gems and Bong-Joon Ho and Park Chan-Wook are two of my absolute favorite directors. I also recommend checking out The Handmaiden.

Reaction Score
My favorite film of the year hands down. So glad to see it win Best Ensemble at the SAGs and super excited to see how it fares at the Oscars. Really seems to be gathering a lot of momentum and feels like its a showdown between it and 1917 for Best Picture!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Just saw this today. Great film. Most interesting and unique film I’ve seen in a long time. This is now my pick for Best Picture.

Reaction Score
Just saw this today. Great film. Most interesting and unique film I’ve seen in a long time. This is now my pick for Best Picture.

Agreed. I was blown away and it's been a while since I had that feeling. One of the better flicks I've seen in a long while. Maybe Moonlight? I probably like that one more than most. But I was more blown away by the emotion the story extracted from me considering I wasn't super interested in the plot.

Check out The Handmaiden. I have recommended this movie so many times and I need to rewatch to see if it loves up to my memory.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Agreed. I was blown away and it's been a while since I had that feeling. One of the better flicks I've seen in a long while. Maybe Moonlight? I probably like that one more than most. But I was more blown away by the emotion the story extracted from me considering I wasn't super interested in the plot.

Check out The Handmaiden. I have recommended this movie so many times and I need to rewatch to see if it loves up to my memory.
Will do.

I’m sure this one will stay with me for a while. I’m glad I knew nothing about it beforehand. One of the things I’ve been thinking about are some parallels to Roma, which I also loved. Parasite obviously has a few different levels but on some levels I see some similar themes and techniques.

I thought that the father and daughter of the poor family and the mother of the rich family were standout actors.

Reaction Score
Will do.

I’m sure this one will stay with me for a while. I’m glad I knew nothing about it beforehand. One of the things I’ve been thinking about are some parallels to Roma, which I also loved. Parasite obviously has a few different levels but on some levels I see some similar themes and techniques.

I thought that the father and daughter of the poor family and the mother of the rich family were standout actors.

I still haven't seen Roma. Totally forgot about it. Spot on re: the actors. I actually remember the father from his lead role in The Host.

Reaction Score
My favorite film of the year hands down. So glad to see it win Best Ensemble at the SAGs and super excited to see how it fares at the Oscars. Really seems to be gathering a lot of momentum and feels like its a showdown between it and 1917 for Best Picture!

Parasite might be the best reviewed 2019 movie by the critics. However, while a few have been nominated, no foreign language movie has ever won the Best Picture Oscar. Based on that track record, I would be a bit surprised if it won Best Picture. It is a huge honor for a foreign language movie to get nominated, so in that way it has already been honored. Funny things can happen with the Best Foreign Language Oscar, but I have to think with the huge positive publicity this movie has gotten, Parasite is no doubt a huge favorite to win that award.

By the way, it is also a huge honor for foreign animated movies to get nominated for the Best Animated Feature Oscar, even though they rarely win that award. Foreign movies that get nominated for this award will often wind up on my list of movies to see. They can be quite rewarding.

Reaction Score
Parasite might be the best reviewed 2019 movie by the critics. However, while a few have been nominated, no foreign language movie has ever won the Best Picture Oscar. Based on that track record, I would be a bit surprised if it won Best Picture. It is a huge honor for a foreign language movie to get nominated, so in that way it has already been honored. Funny things can happen with the Best Foreign Language Oscar, but I have to think with the huge positive publicity this movie has gotten, Parasite is no doubt a huge favorite to win that award.

By the way, it is also a huge honor for foreign animated movies to get nominated for the Best Animated Feature Oscar, even though they rarely win that award. Foreign movies that get nominated for this award will often wind up on my list of movies to see. They can be quite rewarding.
Agreed. Especially after Mendes took home the top prize at the DGAs, it seems like 1917 is gathering serious momentum as a runaway for Best Picture, notwithstanding the handicap Parasite has as a foreign language film. Regardless, Parasite getting five noms is awesome recognition for imo the best film of the year and debateably one of the best films of the decade.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
This movie was crazy. We didn't mind the subtitles as the plot was pretty riveting. What a disgusting family (the poor).

I thought the maid and her husband were decent actors, too.

That whole moment where the phone's send button was compared to a North Korean missile...hysterical !!!

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Interesting that I heard about this movie because of this thread and it goes on to win best picture. I need to watch it. Subtitles don't bother me as I can't watch an English language film without closed captions anyway. So my brain doesn't really even see them anymore.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This movie was crazy. We didn't mind the subtitles as the plot was pretty riveting. What a disgusting family (the poor).

I thought the maid and her husband were decent actors, too.

That whole moment where the phone's send button was compared to a North Korean missile...hysterical !!!
I didn’t think the poor family was disgusting. They were surviving their circumstances, same as the maid and her husband.
That’s what caused the father of the poor family to kill Richie Rich, out of solidarity with the maid’s husband and being pissed off at Mr. Rich’s disgust over their smell. I won’t pretend to know South Korean class culture, but it couldn’t clearer imo that that was a Scorsese/Coen Brothers/Tarantino-inspired take on it.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I didn’t think the poor family was disgusting. They were surviving their circumstances, same as the maid and her husband.
That’s what caused the father of the poor family to kill Richie Rich, out of solidarity with the maid’s husband and being pissed off at Mr. Rich’s disgust over their smell. I won’t pretend to know South Korean class culture, but it couldn’t clearer imo that that was a Scorsese/Coen Brothers/Tarantino-inspired take on it.
Once they went Peach fuzz on the maid they were going above and beyond just looking for jobs.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Once they went Peach fuzz on the maid they were going above and beyond just looking for jobs.
No doubt. But it was essential to their survival and I thought it was brilliant and darkly comedic.

Reaction Score
Saw this on a plane ride last week. Really entertaining and well done. I too knew absolutely nothing other than it had subtitles going in.

Thought the use of floors or stairs as ascending or descending in class was not subtle but still effective.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom