Panthers up for sale, could the team be moved to Connecticut? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Panthers up for sale, could the team be moved to Connecticut?

Reaction Score
bathsalts_featured.jpg

Reaction Score
Laugh all you want but if Connecticut doesn't move forward, it will become part of the rust belt where billions of dollars a year will go to pay for welfare, and Hartford can rival Chicago for the most murders in the nation. We can build new prisons for all of the convicts. I can see an empty Aetna HQ, an empty space where the XL Center now stands, and most other businesses leaving for Florida or Boston -- within a few years.

On the other hand, for perhaps about $4 billion, we can turn Hartford into an entertainment, restaurant, convention and sports capital, with Disney and MGM taking part in the city's renaissance. For about the same amount we can upgrade and expand Bradley airport, connect it with downtown Hartford with decent modern rail service, and line the train route with small and medium sized high tech companies that will draw younger IT workers. UConn will be a key asset to make this work, and in the process UConn will become a top 10, research-driven AAU university. The tax revenue will make this work in the long run. I know which one I prefer.
Mexico City, London and Toronto also want NFL teams. Think Hartford really has a chance over them?

Reaction Score
I'm guessing this kid is in 8th grade. Billion, million and trillion are not the same, to some maybe because 1 is just as far out of reach as the other. I suggest the Dave Ramsey plan, save 15% of your allowance and cash flow the whole thing as a favor to the state. You can do it, anything is possible in your world.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing this kid is in 8th grade. Billion, million and trillion are not the same, to some maybe because 1 is just as far out of reach as the other. I suggest the Dave Ramsey plan, save 15% of your allowance and cash flow the whole thing as a favor to the state. You can do it, anything is possible in your world.
Dave Ramsey In a nutshell - live like an animal, don't enjoy anything, and count your money in retirement. Total quack.

Reaction Score
I still don't believe that to be true. Kraft would have gotten the best deal in history and really didn't end up with more than what he left on the table. Rowland blew it.
No attack Waq....but this is as silly as the OP...........

Reaction Score
Aside from the initial post and others, it/they prompted some resulting interesting and insightful comments. Acknowledging media reports of declining NFL interest nationally, the linked WSJ article states the Panthers "...have sold out 225 of their 227 home games in team history, including 157 straight." It helps that Carolina appears to be on its' way to the franchise's 4th playoff appearance in 5 seasons.

Charlotte fan interest may be lukewarm and relocated fans of other teams reportedly frequently buy tickets from local fans, but sold out games are sold out games. Even if a new owner was to buy the Panthers with an intent to move them elsewhere, other US cities would appear to be stronger possibilities than Hartford. And, as others mention the NFL also appears to be interested in Toronto, London, and Mexico City.

NFL franchise as Insurance City economic stimulus? Seriously? No doubt, that would truly inspire taxpayers of other Connecticut municipalities already financing Hartford and potentially bailing it out of bankruptcy. Hey, you wanna invest in a sport with declining viewership, growing CTE concerns, the need for a likely taxpayer-funded massive stadium ... ? Fuhgetaboutit!

Reaction Score
If the NFL can achieve the level of being a global gridiron league, which seems to be the goal, I'd assume the viewership will only increase and the grandeur of the sport would be enormous. Is that possible? Yes. That would definitely mean very few small market franchises, probably leaving historic franchises alone. But that will take a long time. The NHL will never be globalized, same with the NBA. They have leagues set up around the world that would compete with very solid footing and resources. MLB has global potential, that remains to be seen. Can easily absorb Japanese and Korean franchises.

Right now, Super Rugby and KHL are the only transcontinental leagues in the world, if I am correct. The NFL stands to be next in line.

When it comes to CTE, that certainly can be addressed to a good degree. I'd bet pro hockey players get CTE, too. Same with pro rugby.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Anyone who invests in a stadium right now is insane.

Unless you’ve got something magic in it that changes the trend of people staying home.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Might as well throw in a full-size replica of the Mark Twain house, built entirely out of Legos.

OMG, this would be so cool!!
There is(was) already a scale model at BDL. It's pretty big and detailed, but certainly not "full-size."

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that it was either Nate Silver or someone else of the FanGraphs ilk that wrote a piece detailing how a "downtown" stadium had little to no economic on the surrounding area. The only people that lose were the tax payers and the only people that win were the owners.

This notion that a new basketball arena or even more insanely idiotic a new football stadium would cause an economic boom to Hartford that would come anywhere close to offsetting the sticker price of a new stadium is far fetched and based in reality only in message boards.

This is a quick article about the premise from a professor at Stanford (tied #5 in National Universities by US News FYI).

Sports stadiums don't spur economic growth, Stanford expert says

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that it was either Nate Silver or someone else of the FanGraphs ilk that wrote a piece detailing how a "downtown" stadium had little to no economic on the surrounding area. The only people that lose were the tax payers and the only people that win were the owners.

This notion that a new basketball arena or even more insanely idiotic a new football stadium would cause an economic boom to Hartford that would come anywhere close to offsetting the sticker price of a new stadium is far fetched and based in reality only in message boards.

This is a quick article about the premise from a professor at Stanford (tied #5 in National Universities by US News FYI).

Sports stadiums don't spur economic growth, Stanford expert says
That is why it would make more sense to have a covered stadium that can be used for conventions, trade shows, basketball, ice hockey, concerts etc., as well as football. It is more expensive, but it would be used more frequently and generate more revenue.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That is why it would make more sense to have a covered stadium that can be used for conventions, trade shows, basketball, ice hockey, concerts etc., as well as football. It is more expensive, but it would be used more frequently and generate more revenue.

There is a brand new convention center in Hartford....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We have a fantasy fiction board. It’s called conference realignment.

Can we move this there? It’s a nice side dish for the Dood or s w a i m.

Last edited:

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
There is(was) already a scale model at BDL. It's pretty big and detailed, but certainly not "full-size."
I watched the State Police arrest a woman who decided to vandalize it one morning...made the flight delay entertaining.

Reaction Score
The original plans for Adriaen's landing included a dome stadium to allow UConn to become D1. I like the idea of a dome stadium, but everything else this guy is talking about is simply unreasonable.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The NFL's Panthers are up for sale. Could the team be purchased by a group who move the team to Connecticut. Then UConn and the Panthers could share a stadium. The local newspaper said there is no guarantee the team will stay in North Carolina. I know it was previously discussed that the Patriots were going to move to Hartford, but that sure fell apart. Still, Hartford would benefit economically if a pro football team locates there.
Will city’s ‘hard tether’ keep Panthers in Charlotte? Not necessarily.

Why on earth would you move a team from a booming high growth area like Charlotte, with no competing franchise for hundreds of miles, to a decaying place like Hartford, with three pro franchises, two of which are very popular, within a short drive of your population? There are few places that would be worse than Hartford, or Bridgeport or New London.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom