HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
:cool:

07E2D875-0E9E-400B-AC96-DE987EC19EE3.jpeg

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
Congrats to Paige. Interesting that this list does not include Azzi. She isn't among the 20 best shooting guards in the nation? Really???

Edit: Just saw in the Nika Watch thread that coaches can only nominate 1 player from their team per position. Great motivation for Azzi.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Congrats to Paige. Interesting that this list does not include Azzi. She isn't among the 20 best shooting guards in the nation? Really???

Edit: Just saw in the Nika Watch thread that coaches can only nominate 1 player from their team per position. Great motivation for Azzi.

Will Azzi be on the small forward watch list?

Reaction Score

She could still be nominated as a SF even though everyone knows she is a SG. Basically once Nika was on the PG list, either Azzi or Paige had to be considered as a SF, or a great player would have to be left off their lists.

Personally although both would be better at the 2 than the 3, if we have to put one of them at the 3, I think Paige makes more sense than Azzi. Paige is taller, much longer and a much better rebounder than Azzi. She can be great at all three positions and spend significant time at all of them as well.

The first guard/wing starter out will probably be Nika, and most likely replaced by a natural 3 in Caroline with Paige moving to the point. If Nika comes back in for say Azzi, Paige can play the 2. Then if Paige gets a quick blow, Azzi goes back in to the 2 and maybe Aubrey subs for Caroline soon thereafter.

Of course KK may change all of that, but to a large extent until she proves herself, Nika and Azzi can almost always stay at their best position, Caroline and Aubrey could come in for a 1,2, or 3 and still be kept at their best position when they enter the game, and Paige is the swiss army knife that could be great at all three with her versatility, and enable the others to be where they are most effective.

Of course injuries change everything, and I don't know how much Aubrey will be available on the wing if she is needed more upfront. I hope Ice is good enough to start with Aaliyah, and Aubrey can be a super-sub at the 4 and the 3. If Aubrey needs to start with Aaliyah she probably would not play much at the 3.

Reaction Score
Very interesting. I get the impression that the coach's have the major say in what player gets nominated for each position. Tough decision for Geno.

Reaction Score
Very interesting. I get the impression that the coach's have the major say in what player gets nominated for each position. Tough decision for Geno.

Picking the two seniors is a no-brainer. Geno named his four seniors, I'm sure. I see Fudd on my short list for NPOY. In any case players can be added during the season. This preseason stuff is just for getting as many players mentioned as possible.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
She could still be nominated as a SF even though everyone knows she is a SG. Basically once Nika was on the PG list, either Azzi or Paige had to be considered as a SF, or a great player would have to be left off their lists.

Personally although both would be better at the 2 than the 3, if we have to put one of them at the 3, I think Paige makes more sense than Azzi. Paige is taller, much longer and a much better rebounder than Azzi. She can be great at all three positions and spend significant time at all of them as well.

The first guard/wing starter out will probably be Nika, and most likely replaced by a natural 3 in Caroline with Paige moving to the point. If Nika comes back in for say Azzi, Paige can play the 2. Then if Paige gets a quick blow, Azzi goes back in to the 2 and maybe Aubrey subs for Caroline soon thereafter.

Of course KK may change all of that, but to a large extent until she proves herself, Nika and Azzi can almost always stay at their best position, Caroline and Aubrey could come in for a 1,2, or 3 and still be kept at their best position when they enter the game, and Paige is the swiss army knife that could be great at all three with her versatility, and enable the others to be where they are most effective.

Of course injuries change everything, and I don't know how much Aubrey will be available on the wing if she is needed more upfront. I hope Ice is good enough to start with Aaliyah, and Aubrey can be a super-sub at the 4 and the 3. If Aubrey needs to start with Aaliyah she probably would not play much at the 3.
I may be wrong but I truly believe tht Geno is not giving anyone "significant" mins (especially Paige remember the ND game) I thk he's got the players to keep fresh legs at the guards position and has hinted at using them, with the injuries and wear and tear on on the team the last 2 yrs he had no choice but to run the starters ragged. Championships aren't won in the early part of the season but they can be lost. Geno will probably use the early months to get everyone acclimated to each other and up to speed, esp the newbies who can possibly play an important role later on, whteva tht role may be. Welcome to the big time rookies!
As far as Caroline and Audrey they can sub in at the 2 or 3 position, Aubrey can play the 3, 4 and a little 5 if needed, neither and I repeat neither one of them is gonna play the point unless forced to by unforseen circumstances and Geno ain't having none of tht he only has so much hair to pull out....imho

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I fear Aubrey will be the odd woman out on a lot of awards/lists. Still, I expect her to be a solid 2nd-round draft pick.

I’d consider going to Senior Night just for Aubs. If we’re also celebrating Nika, Lita, and/or Paige, I’ll be there for sure.

sun

Reaction Score
Does anyone have a credible source for the claim that coaches are nominating players for awatds based on their position?
I have a hard time believing that because that would mean that a lot of coaches are wasting their time submitting nominations for players who will never be considered for an award, & must choose a player's position before the season even starts.
I've only been able to find that a national committee of experts chooses the watch list, and that players can play themselves on & off the list.
And that fans also get to vote until the final 5 are selected.

I didn't find any reference indicating that coaches submit nominations.
That would require a lot of Division 1 schools needing to submit a lot of nominations needlessly.
That's like putting the coaches in charge of who is able to make the watch lists instead of the national committee of experts that's in charge of making the award.
In Paige's case I can understand that they might be concerned about her being mobile enough to play PG because of her knee injuy & missing a full season.
But what if Paige ends up playing PG?
Then I figure that she can be added to the PG watch list without any nomination from Geno.
Just like Azzi could be added to the SG watch list without being nominated by Geno.
I'm just supposing that's the way it works because I haven't found any reference that says differently..
And no one has posted a reference.
We don't even know the names of the committee members who decide the watch list or the awards.
Perhaps the committee already favors a certain player to win the PG award & another to win the SG award?
Why do the national experts need nominations from coaches at all?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Looks like they put Azzi and Caroline on the SF list. I guess you can have two...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom