Paige vs Caitlin | The Boneyard

Paige vs Caitlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not a pro job. But here are their stats. Note Caitlin has thrown up twice as many 3’s as Paige with 10% less accuracy. Caitlin also gets to the free throw line twice as much. She has 133 assists and 103 turnovers.

Attachments

• B9BDB42C-4760-4D22-9AB4-CE272BDC9C97.png
    B9BDB42C-4760-4D22-9AB4-CE272BDC9C97.png
    230 KB · Views: 185
  • 411E5A78-C8E4-4788-92AA-F177A7AC798C.png
    411E5A78-C8E4-4788-92AA-F177A7AC798C.png
    214 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not a pro job. But here are their stats. Note Caitlin has thrown up twice as many 3’s as Paige with 10% less accuracy. Caitlin also gets to the free throw line twice as much.
Not sure if this helps:

1614378374150.png

Reaction Score
Not in those stats - UConn is fifth in the nation in scoring defense out of 336 teams. Iowa is No. 336 in the nation out of 336.

To be fair, Clark has improved her shooting efficiency lately to the point that it’s not a blemish against her any more against normal humans. Bueckers has been super human in that regard, but Clark’s numbers have risen to quite excellent by normal standards. Turnovers are still a huge issue, though (Clark leads the country in those, and plays on the worst defense in the country, so those are two big problems). But Clark has been on a pretty remarkable shooting tear and now has a signature win over Michigan which she didn’t have 24 hours ago. I think she deserves first-team A-A honors and the attention that goes with it, even with the defensive and turnover flaws.

In Paige’s case, there really aren’t caveats to her resume (at least that she can control). Best you can say is she didn't shoot well in that one game against UT before she hit the dagger to seal it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Both players are basically asked to run AND be the offense. Paige has better players around her (though neither player has a ton of consistency surrounding them). I haven’t seen much of Caitlin, but from her numbers I have to assume she’s a great player in her own right. Either way I think Paige gets NFOY and could easily take NPOY because of her clutch plays against better competition (on top of her regularly great play).

Reaction Score
Both players are basically asked to run AND be the offense. Paige has better players around her (though neither player has a ton of consistency surrounding them). I haven’t seen much of Caitlin, but from her numbers I have to assume she’s a great player in her own right. Either way I think Paige gets NFOY and could easily take NPOY because of her clutch plays against better competition (on top of her regularly great play).
Iowa maybe doesn’t have a lot of great players around her. But Czinano has led the nation in FG percentage the last two years, with or without Clark, and Warnock is a pretty efficient wing with a lot less usage. Warnock benefits from the attention Clark draws, of course.

Dirty little secret - Iowa won one game this year when Clark was benched in crunch time. Iowa was down 6 with 5 minutes to go against Purdue, Clark sat, and her teammates went on a 17-2 run without her as Warnock hit three shots in a row to put them ahead. Just a one-off game and Purdue isn’t great, but that did happen.

Reaction Score
In almost any other year Clark would be the NFOY but not this year! Paige is the best player (by far) on the number 1 team in the country and should be the NFOY and NPOY! actually could have been best if Paige is the NPOY (as there is nothing in her game which is Freshmen like) and Clark the NFOY.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Comparing stats is somewhat like comparing apples to oranges since they're on vastly different teams and playing in different circumstances. Clark has much higher usage than Paige in that she's the focal point of the offense more frequently. She takes 19 shots per game and averages almost 7 assists and 5 turnovers per game, meaning that the offense flows through her quite frequently. For being such a high usage player, her numbers are fantastic. 48% from the floor and 40% from deep is outstanding for a guard who takes so many shots. I find it ironic how a lot of people here are critical of her percentages but give more respect to Dana Evans who is shooting 44.5% from the floor and 38% from 3, and Evans has faced a lighter schedule too. Clark has incredible range on her shot, taking VERY deep threes that she can consistently knock down, and she has been a very consistent shooter, shooting over 40% in 17 of her 20 games so far. The lack of efficiency is a byproduct of taking a LOT of shots and having the ball in her hands so much.

The main difference between Paige and Clark from a statistical standpoint is that Paige is lower usage and a lot more efficient. She has a better A/TO ratio and ridiculously high FG/3pt percentages. She's had monster games in 2 of her 3 big matchups this year (3/4 if you include Marquette) and has come through big time in the clutch this season for the Huskies.

As far as eye test, both are outstanding but I'd give the edge to Paige based on games I've seen due to efficiency and decision making. She has a knack for taking and making tough runners and jumpers inside the arc and just doesn't make a lot of mistakes on the court. Both are great passers but Paige makes fewer errant passes than Clark does. Clark appears to have more range on her shot and hunts down perimeter shots more frequently where the majority of Paige's shots are taken inside the arc, and often off screens or off the dribble. Paige is also a much better defender. Different players in different situations, but both have been remarkable.

I'll end this by saying that people seem quite concerned about comparing the two with a motive of establishing that Paige is the superior player, but honestly both should just be celebrated. These are the 2 best freshmen point guards in NCAA history and both have put up dazzling seasons.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Look at Czinano's stats...that's about as consistent as you'll find. Warnock has been a steady threat too.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, all due respect, I hate this comparison! I wish it would stop. Go away.
Frankly, I do not care if Caitlin shoots 90%, it doesn't matter. Come on, you guys know better.
Paige is generational. We have to be thankful as sports fans that we get to see players like her, a few times in our lifetimes. You can make your own list.
Here's an analogy I use as a science teacher about STEM and engineering. There's nothing wrong with being a technician but that's not what we're talking about, we're talking about designing the airplane motor, not working on it.
Caitlin is a skilled and talented technician. Paige is the engineer.

Reaction Score

Look at Czinano's stats...that's about as consistent as you'll find. Warnock has been a steady threat too.
Iowa lost twice to nationally ranked (at the time) Northwestern, and Czinano averaged something like 33 and 13 on 90 percent shooting (27-30) in the two games. May have just matched up well against them, but geez, Ill take that production.

Reaction Score
Paige's only focus is to win games, the other player's goal is to score points. That's my judgment.
we're not going to know Clark's true mentality until she is playing on a good team..........I suspect she'd be happy to shoot less if there was somebody else on the court to pick up the scoring slack.....

Reaction Score
Can we just appreciate that they are both great freshmen? I've seen some posts in other threads that try to put Clark or her town down to show why Paige is better. Its petty
They’re even good friends from USA teams and stay in touch with each other, so the rivalry is really only here with internet randoms choosing sides. At least unless they meet in the tournament, and then they’d have to become rivals for a day.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Can someone create a thread with a "How many more Paige vs. Caitlin threads will there be before the official NFOY announcements?" poll.

I don't know how to create a thread that includes a poll.:):rolleyes:

Reaction Score
What do the stats & eye-test tell you?? Paige is the clear NFOY, while Caitlin is the clear #2.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Paige's only focus is to win games, the other player's goal is to score points. That's my judgment.
Huh? Seriously, that's what you think? This is NOT Kelsey Mitchell, Caitlin has a ton of assist (and turnovers) trying to get her teammates involved. The problem is the talent in Iowa is not quite there yet but help is on the way.

As we note MANY, MANY times, just because a player has good stats, is by all rights with the metrics and eye test, shows as a very good player, saying such IS NOT DISPARAGING UCONN players.

SMH....

Reaction Score
These type of debates are absurd. 2 different players on 2 different teams. The player on the lesser team needs to score more points. The player surrounded by more talented players needs to make them better but score less points. The player who doesn’t win an award still has done what the team needed her to do. The whole thing borders on buffoonery.

Reaction Score
I find it funny we put these two together a lot but I guess since they are the standout freshman I can kind of get behind the idea. There’s really no rivalry individually and I’m sure UConn would handle them team wise as well. Clark is more of a pure offensive threat but Paige is a more natural leader and influences the game regardless if she shoots, passes, They both have tons of room to improve though and I look forward to see them progress over the years.

Reaction Score
What if Paige had homesickness and said I want to go to Minnesota? She'd be on a losing team but would all of her traits that right now we see make her a winning player just vanish? No, it just would not be contributing to big national top 25 wins and buzzer beaters. But its the traits that make someone a winner. Caitlin Clark could have gone to a team already ranked high and she could be the exact same type of player but now all of a sudden she's a winner but if she goes to Iowa she is not a winner? Some of this is relative. What if Clark wasn't at Iowa, maybe their record is much worse? So now with that in mind maybe Clark is a winner in that she is contributing to help Iowa win more than they would have.

Reaction Score
What if Paige had homesickness and said I want to go to Minnesota? She'd be on a losing team but would all of her traits that right now we see make her a winning player just vanish? No, it just would not be contributing to big national top 25 wins and buzzer beaters. But its the traits that make someone a winner. Caitlin Clark could have gone to a team already ranked high and she could be the exact same type of player but now all of a sudden she's a winner but if she goes to Iowa she is not a winner? Some of this is relative. What if Clark wasn't at Iowa, maybe their record is much worse? So now with that in mind maybe Clark is a winner in that she is contributing to help Iowa win more than they would have.
Why would Paige go to Minnesota? I’ve been to the gopher hole. There’s literally people there who think she took the easy way out by not being a hometown hero and elevating a program that probably still wouldn’t be that good with her. They would be the same players no matter where they went and contribute to wins. The difference is Clark went to a school she knew she would get touches and be the main player right away. Bueckers went to a school that’s consistently a top 5 school in the country and can be a freshman and still the best player on such a historic program. It’s not about that they lose their abilities depending on school, but who went where they went to be comfortable and who went where they went to be challenged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom