Paige, UCONN & NFT (Non-Fungible Token) | The Boneyard

Paige, UCONN & NFT (Non-Fungible Token)

Reaction Score
CNBC just reported Rob Gronkowski's creating a digital image of several of his highlight moves that will go to auction, presumably at some very high $$ number. In shorthand, one of the features of NFTs is the original creator of this digital art also gets a share of each succeeding sale. Given the insane amounts generated in this emerging popular market ("Beeple"), it would be equally insane for Paige and UCONN not to take advantage of it.

Consider a highlight series of images that would include Paige's 3s against Tennessee and South Carolina. Paige's media following this season insures it would generate an amazing auction result. But who would own the proceeds? A case can be made for either party's ownership, but I'd argue for a 50:50 split. Clearly, Paige - like no other Women's College BB player today, and without whom there wouldn't be these images - would deserve at least a share of the ownership. NCAA attitudes towards student athletes revenues is increasingly hospitable.

Equally, UCONN and its cachet also lends value. I'm not sure that Paige, without the media attention UCONN provides, would have achieved this amount prominence. So 50:50! So come on Paige and UCONN, get on with it.

Reaction Score
Very interesting point about amateur athletes. I wonder if they are going to just have to wait until they leave school before NFTs can be sold? If I was a famous college player like Page and could potentially make millions on NFTs -it might at some point effect my decision on timing my move from college to the pros. I hope not.?.
If UCONN owns all the images however- it’s an incredible (possible) source of income for the school moving forward.

Reaction Score
There is also a first mover advantage that shouldn't be lost. As for who owns the images, I believe they are owned by whoever creates and registers them. Owning an original Paige Beckers creation would have different value from say NY Fan creating the same image. Nor does it have to be limited to PB. There are as many possibilities as the imagination allows. How about a series or a "collection"?

As for ownership, proceeds can be put in trust until after graduation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k3mba

Top Bottom