Paige Signs New NIL Deal | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Paige Signs New NIL Deal

Reaction Score
What if she wants to live the life of an adult and not under the thumb of UConn? What if at age 23-24 she's tired of playing school and having to go to study hall when she could be out doing what she wants?
Yeah, escape the brutal tyranny of UConn, rendered even worse by the fact that she is probably the most popular and pampered figure on campus! The horrors she must face on a daily basis! Who wouldn't want to get away from a place where your every need is catered to, medical, nutrition, trainers, instant help for virtually any problem that arises in her life, and the adulation of basically every person on (and off) campus! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I wonder how her watching (recently in person) teammate Dorka`s considerable success in the WNBA impacts her thinking about staying an additional year at UConn. It might weigh in favor of her going, not staying.

Dorka benefitted from the extra year at UConn but Paige is already WNBA ready, doesn`t need it in the same way that Dorka did. She just needs to stay healthy.

Also wonder if she would leave if she could get some assurances pre-draft that through one or more trades she would land in a preferred destination like Minnesota, New York or possibly Los Angeles. Or, at the very least, that she would not end up with a lousy franchise.
Dorka is a bad comp. Very different positions and style of play. Ionescu might be a better comp.

Reaction Score
Yeah, escape the brutal tyranny of UConn, rendered even worse by the fact that she is probably the most popular and pampered figure on campus! The horrors she must face on a daily basis! Who wouldn't want to get away from a place where your every need is catered to, medical, nutrition, trainers, instant help for virtually any problem that arises in her life, and the adulation of basically every person on (and off) campus! :rolleyes:
Lol. Very true. Your college years are probably the most enjoyable and stress-free years you'll have. Once you graduate, the party's over.

Reaction Score
Right now she's making big NIL money and yet has plenty of question marks as to if she can return to greatness. We all hope and pray that she can, and that the knee problems are a thing of the past. At UConn she is protected. Her health is kept top secret. It's won't be that way in the W, and if she can't play, she won't earn. So, there are many reasons why she might desire to stay at UConn. I believe she very much wants to go down as a UConn great. To see her jersey number hanging high in the rafters. Here she will be playing for a National Championship for the next two years, among friends and teammates who like her. If and when she goes pro that will most likely not be the case. She will undoubtedly be drafted by a low level team, with little possibity of winning games, much less a championshop. At first anyway, she will be playing with teammates who are jealous and resent her fame, extra earnings and press.

Leaving UConn won't necessarily mean life will be peaches and cream. :)

Bueckers will make serious dough wherever she plays, UConn or the W. I don't think $$$ will be a deciding factor.

Reaction Score

It's called independence. I don't think your reasons mean that much to her.

There was a Twilight Zone episode in which a man died and found himself in a place where his every whim is made real. he thinks he's in heaven but he isn't. :rolleyes:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Can't. When you declare for the WNBA draft you immediately lose your remaining ncaa eligibility. Bird got drafted then played his senior year and then signed with Boston before the next draft, where the Celtics got McHale.
Does she have to declare if she is over 21?

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Don't agree with you on only 2 because there is so much more Mamba Mentality player at the college level.
I name Caitlin and Paige with 'true' Mamba mentality. I'm sure there are others who come close but , IMHO, not like these two.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
You undersell this. The Celtics had the number one pick and Warriors had the 3rd pick. The Celtics traded their 1st for the Warriors pick which was McHale but they also received another player in the trade , Robert Parish. And Joe Barry Carroll was a fine player he wasn’t McHale or Parish.
The single greatest move by any general manger anywhere anytime. What a time to be a Celtic Fan. I'm all the way in on the New York Yankees and the New York Football Giants and despise Boston in those sports. But Celtic green warms my heart for Beantown.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Dorka is a bad comp. Very different positions and style of play. Ionescu might be a better comp.
All true but nevertheless seeing a teammate excel at the higher level could be a factor in what will likely end up being a gut decision with various factors cutting both ways.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She probably will be athletic by any reasonable standard, but it is often hard for kids of pro athletes to repeat their parents success. That's a reminder of just how difficult it is to be an elite athlete and another reason why we should appreciate the astounding number of them we have seen as a part of the program.

Ken Griffey, Sr. and Joe Bryant were pretty good ball players.

Reaction Score
The single greatest move by any general manger anywhere anytime. What a time to be a Celtic Fan. I'm all the way in on the New York Yankees and the New York Football Giants and despise Boston in those sports. But Celtic green warms my heart for Beantown.

Luckily I was a huge Celtic fan in that era. They also got Dennis Johnson.

Reaction Score
It's called independence. I don't think your reasons mean that much to her.

There was a Twilight Zone episode in which a man died and found himself in a place where his every whim is made real. he thinks he's in heaven but he isn't. :rolleyes:
And?

Reaction Score
Meanwhile, back on the NIL deal, wouldn't Nika be a natural for Nike? If she can't earn money here because of her visa, maybe Nike could "limit" (wink, wink) this to Croatia and deposit money there.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile, back on the NIL deal, wouldn't Nika be a natural for Nike? If she can't earn money here because of her visa, maybe Nike could "limit" (wink, wink) this to Croatia and deposit money there.
Again Nika? This thread is about Paige.

Reaction Score
Bueckers will make serious dough wherever she plays, UConn or the W. I don't think $$$ will be a deciding factor.
How does that comment have anything whatsoever to do with what I said?

Reaction Score
If I am guilty of wishful thinking, so is Geno Auriemma. I have not seen her play recently except for short video clips, but he obviously has.

Here is his interview from June 20, 2023, the infamous "shut the **** up and win games" interview. He starts talking about Paige at around the two minute mark. Some illustrative quotes:

"best she`s ever been"

"never seen her better"

So the player who was once the NCAA player of the year has never looked better, per Geno.

We can only HOPE!

Reaction Score
How does that comment have anything whatsoever to do with what I said?
Here's what:

Right now she's making big NIL money and yet has plenty of question marks as to if she can return to greatness. We all hope and pray that she can, and that the knee problems are a thing of the past. At UConn she is protected. Her health is kept top secret. It's won't be that way in the W, and if she can't play, she won't earn. So, there are many reasons why she might desire to stay at UConn.

Did you or did you not mention money as a reason for staying?

Reaction Score
Again Nika? This thread is about Paige.
You wouldn't know it from reading the other posts. Did you read the other posts? No problem with them, just with Nika? At least I posted about NIL and Nike, and yes Nika.

Reaction Score
Here's what:

Did you or did you not mention money as a reason for staying?
No not really, it was a small portion of what I said that you have taken out of context. Read the entirety of what I said please.

Reaction Score
You wouldn't know it from reading the other posts. Did you read the other posts? No problem with them, just with Nika? At least I posted about NIL and Nike, and yes Nika.
Yes, I did. Yours was the last. I guess I could have responded to all of them, but most people going off topic recently have been bringing up Nika. So, Nika again?

I see you gave me an angry emoji. I’ve never done that to anyone, so I decided to do that to your post to see how it felt. As it turns out, I didn’t feel anything.

So many threads on the BY devolve into a discussion of Nika, even when she has nothing to do with the topic.

To respond to your post, maybe you’re not being serious. Nika with Nike. Similar spellings. Or maybe you’re serious. Nika has 50k followers on Instagram, Paige 1 million. I have not seen Nike work with relatively low profile players, even ones as talented, likable, and charismatic as Nika.

The topic of this thread is Paige getting a deal with Nike. Presumably Nike believes in Paige’s future, including with UConn.

sun

Reaction Score
Receiving this Nike endorsement must be such a relief for Paige because she missed out on the 1st round of Nike endorsements last year when they signed Juju Watson while in high school & Caitlin Clark.
Paige being injured stunted her NIL growth somewhat because she was left behind.
I imagine that caused her some consternation & provided much incentive for her to rehab even harder to get her mojo back.
It's pretty clear when she speaks that she has become more mature and is no longer young Paige but rather the mature Paige that will become not only a national star but a future international spokesperson.
IMO this may be a defining year for Paige's career with all eyes watching how much that she impacts UConn & the world of WCBB.
She said that she wants to get back to having fun & you know that for Paige that includes winning it all.
We're all hoping that Paige can not only "just do it" for herself but also get it done for UConn too.
UConn fans & now even Nike want Paige to have the most fun ever & to "Go knock them out!"

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
How do you know she's WNBA ready?

When was the last time you saw her play? She's coming back after losing an entire season due to a serious knee surgery operation. The season before, she missed roughly half due to another knee problem. We all hope the returning Paige is the same player she was, with the same skills and abilities, BUT that remains an unknown at this point.

I do like your (wishful) thinking regarding where she might land in the draft, but until she proves herself again her value is also an unknown.
Well, you just touched the 3rd rail Gordo... Gordo...Gordo?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom