Paige Running Around | The Boneyard

Paige Running Around

Reaction Score
Is it just me? But I noticed this for the first time after it was mentioned on the SC Post Game Thread and I watched the game again. Does Paige have any business trying to cut into the lane without the ball against a big player like Boston? Nope. Then why, I always wondered, does she do it? Well, follow me on this as there are a few reasons. First, it shows motion and gets her teammates to also move. Second, she does get a few opponents to pick themselves and gets an easy jumper. But mostly it is crystal clear now. Paige has an engine that's like a Toyota, it just goes and goes and goes. Most of the time her defenders do not, and by the third and fourth quarter are sucking wind not being able to keep up. So next time when we start slow, just look at Paige when she doesn't have the ball, it's coming.

Reaction Score
It's what Maya did too! Move well without the ball. Don't you remember Geno's famous clip about Maya moving and asking for the ball, then moving again? I think Paige does the same thing - continuously moving and forcing defenders to move too, creating openings and plays.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's what Maya did too! Move well without the ball. Don't you remember Geno's famous clip about Maya moving and asking for the ball, then moving again? I think Paige does the same thing - continuously moving and forcing defenders to move too, creating openings and plays.
I tried to find the video clip because it was hysterical. When Maya was a freshman, per Geno, she had no clue.

ESPN did an interview with the both of them when Maya was older, and asked Geno about Maya as a freshman and he said something like this (going from memory)...

"Maya moving without the ball? She has no idea. She runs here, there, all over the court, constantly moving, but completely unaware of the offense that is being run. Then suddenly she gets the ball, drains a 3, and the announcers are like 'OMG look at how amazing Maya is moving without the ball', but she really had no clue what she was doing!"

Maya sat next to him the whole time shaking her head, but with a wry grin on her face - she knew he was right!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is it just me? But I noticed this for the first time after it was mentioned on the SC Post Game Thread and I watched the game again. Does Paige have any business trying to cut into the lane without the ball against a big player like Boston? Nope. Then why, I always wondered, does she do it?
In the UCONN offense Paige has all the business in world cutting through the lane. You do this for a couple of reason 1) Probe the defense to see how they are going to react 2) Get Boston's attention shifted to Paige-in doing so you free up one of the post players that is closer to the basket. 3) Allow the screen time to set up. Paige does it because that is what she is supposed to do.

Reaction Score
In the UCONN offense Paige has all the business in world cutting through the lane. You do this for a couple of reason 1) Probe the defense to see how they are going to react 2) Get Boston's attention shifted to Paige-in doing so you free up one of the post players that is closer to the basket. 3) Allow the screen time to set up. Paige does it because that is what she is supposed to do.
It also pulls the defender into the traffic, where she can almost use that as a partial screen.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
This is also one of Paige's unbelievable play in South Carolina game.

This is Paige showing off the jump hook over Boston's blocking hand, a move that Olivia has yet to develop.

I will say that I haven't seen Liv try any fadeaway shots in the last month or so. That is a very positive trend, in my opinion. I have to believe that she makes those foul line jump shots in practice, or Geno wouldn't let her take them in games. And she does make them more reliably against lesser competition. I think we all have to believe that before long she will make them in big game situations.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Similar to Rip Hamilton, who learned from Reggie Lewis, that if you are always moving, someone will find you, someone will be open, or you will be open. Constant motion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom