Paige on Defense | The Boneyard

Paige on Defense

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With no live sports to watch, this morning I watched Paige’s last HS game with her Hopkins teammates in the state semifinal vs Stillwater. While Paige makes her usual share of highlight reel plays on offense, it is on defense, particularly in the 1st half, where she is all over the court, disrupting everything Stillwater attempts to do on offense.

I don’t have stats for the game, but Paige must force 10+ turnovers with steals and really tough defense. She also blocks several shots and pulls down a number of defensive rebounds in traffic. The most impressive thing she did occurred when a Stillwater player was driving full speed towards the basket, and Paige planted her rail thin body in front of her opponent, taking a hard charging foul.

I‘ve probably watched a dozen or so Hopkins full game tapes this season. I’ve never seen Paige play a better defensive game. You can be certain that if she has that kind of defensive ability in her, Geno will expect to see it every game.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I haven't watched Paige's defense all that closely, but here's my impression: Her positioning could be better, but she has good anticipation and great hands. She gets in the passing lanes and can swipe the ball very well off the dribble. She also gets a decent number of blocks. I look for the Huskies to force a lot of turnovers the next 4-5 years.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I haven't watched Paige's defense all that closely, but here's my impression: Her positioning could be better, but she has good anticipation and great hands. She gets in the passing lanes and can swipe the ball very well off the dribble. She also gets a decent number of blocks. I look for the Huskies to force a lot of turnovers the next 4-5 years.
I absolutely agree with your assessment. But in this particular game, it was as if Paige wanted everyone to know that she could move her feet and stay in front of her opponent. Several of the turnovers Paige forced were simply the result of getting up in the face of a ball handler with her legs and arms spread wide and moving her feet until the Stillwater player threw the ball away.

Stillwater is a very good, well-coached team. Their kids can all play. But Paige reminded me a little of Aubrey with the way she enveloped some of the Stillwater players, forcing them to make one bad decision after another.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I absolutely agree with your assessment. But in this particular game, it was as if Paige wanted everyone to know that she could move her feet and stay in front of her opponent. Several of the turnovers Paige forced were simply the result of getting up in the face of a ball handler with her legs and arms spread wide and moving her feet until the Stillwater player threw the ball away.

Stillwater is a very good, well-coached team. Their kids can all play. But Paige reminded me a little of Aubrey with the way she enveloped some of the Stillwater players, forcing them to make one bad decision after another.
I believe that Paige stepped up her game against Stillwater because she wanted to make sure Hopkins got to the finals. She had stated that her goal as a Senior was to win the State again and continue the record unbeaten streak. She wanted to go out a winner, she has a Hopkins record as a player, making it to 5 straight State Finals.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
this doesn't involve defense specifically, but it's something that i haven't seen mentioned about paige: Her great change of pace. she lulls players, then accelerates in a flash -- not just afoot but also with her grasp of the moment and execution of whatever is needed -- the pass no one else sees, getting the right angle somehow. she can really set the trap masterfully, and seemingly instantaneously. it's probably a gift that's instinctual

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
this doesn't involve defense specifically, but it's something that i haven't seen mentioned about paige: Her great change of pace. she lulls players, then accelerates in a flash -- not just afoot but also with her grasp of the moment and execution of whatever is needed -- the pass no one else sees, getting the right angle somehow. she can really set the trap masterfully, and seemingly instantaneously. it's probably a gift that's instinctual
There’s an old football expression that defensive backs use, “If your even, he’s leavin.” Essentially it means that when a wide receiver is shoulder to shoulder with a DB, the WR is running full speed and the DB is usually not, so the WR often blows right by the DB.

I think of that expression every time I see Paige shift into overdrive and blow by a defender. So from now on, I’m going to adapt that old DB credo to Paige. If she’s even, she’s leavin.

Reaction Score
Interesting, I thought defense the weakest part of her game, players getting by her for easy scores in the four or five games I watched. She also did make good plays on defense but she’s far from college ready at that end of the court.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
well, i certainly don't think anyone is trying to make the case that defense is her calling card -- can't recall many high school school seniors known for that (Kelly, maybe). but i think it's kind of absurd to be knocking her as some kind of lost cause on that end of the court.

ain't so.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
well, i certainly don't think anyone is trying to make the case that defense is her calling card -- can't recall many high school school seniors known for that (Kelly, maybe). but i think it's kind of absurd to be knocking her as some kind of lost cause on that end of the court.

ain't so.
Kia Nurse was a player no one wanted to play against. Her defense was annoying to all her opponents.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Kia Nurse was a player no one wanted to play against. Her defense was annoying to all her opponents.
gabby, too. but how about in high school? were any recruits noted for defense? mikayla? my memory's getting progressively worse. i think pheesa and moriah were dissed for their defense but developed into adequate performers

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
gabby, too. but how about in high school? were any recruits noted for defense? mikayla? my memory's getting progressively worse. i think pheesa and moriah were dissed for their defense but developed into adequate performers
Good question. For the record, both Mir & Aaliyah are noted as really tough defenders in HS. IMO, they have the potential to be lockdown defenders in college. Just for fun, Geno might put out a team with Mir, Aaliyah, Aubrey, Liv and Paige to press opponents all over the court. :)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The most important thing is that Paige clearly enjoys playing defense and likes the challenge. and has all the physical tools to be a real pressure defender Technical weaknesses in her 1-1 defense will be fixed in due course.

Also, it seems that Hopkins emphasizes good technical offense and pressure defense and not the details of 1-1 defending

Reaction Score
With no live sports to watch, this morning I watched Paige’s last HS game with her Hopkins teammates in the state semifinal vs Stillwater. While Paige makes her usual share of highlight reel plays on offense, it is on defense, particularly in the 1st half, where she is all over the court, disrupting everything Stillwater attempts to do on offense.

I don’t have stats for the game, but Paige must force 10+ turnovers with steals and really tough defense. She also blocks several shots and pulls down a number of defensive rebounds in traffic. The most impressive thing she did occurred when a Stillwater player was driving full speed towards the basket, and Paige planted her rail thin body in front of her opponent, taking a hard charging foul.

I‘ve probably watched a dozen or so Hopkins full game tapes this season. I’ve never seen Paige play a better defensive game. You can be certain that if she has that kind of defensive ability in her, Geno will expect to see it every game.
Saw what you saw and realized that the hype was warranted.

Reaction Score
Defensive players are like shortstops in baseball. Everyone is looking for that person who will hit 330 and then one day you realize that someone who can clog up the middle is going to win a lot of games for you by stopping a lot of those balls that would have normally been hits.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Good question. For the record, both Mir & Aaliyah are noted as really tough defenders in HS. IMO, they have the potential to be lockdown defenders in college. Just for fun, Geno might put out a team with Mir, Aaliyah, Aubrey, Liv and Paige to press opponents all over the court. :)
I’ve been thinking exactly the same. Add Saylor and Amari into the mix the following year(s). I’ve seen Saylor steal balls off the dribble, but her specialty is in anticipating passes. If the ball is in the air too long, she does exactly what Maya, Stewie, and Gabby did—snatch it and start the break the other way.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’ve been thinking exactly the same. Add Saylor and Amari into the mix the following year(s). I’ve seen Saylor steal balls off the dribble, but her specialty is in anticipating passes. If the ball is in the air too long, she does exactly what Maya, Stewie, and Gabby did—snatch it and start the break the other way.
I’m looking forward to opponents struggling to get off a shot or even get the ball out of their own backcourt against all the long, athletic players that the Huskies will be able to roll out on the court at the same time.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Interesting, I thought defense the weakest part of her game, players getting by her for easy scores in the four or five games I watched. She also did make good plays on defense but she’s far from college ready at that end of the court.

Practically no one arrives as a freshman college ready on defense. She does not get low enough and her hands are generally not up where Geno wants them, so she is susceptible to the offensive player busting by her. See that fairly frequently. Still, I'm not throwing her back into the pool.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
This thread prompts a few thoughts:

1. I do not follow HS players closely. Bueckers became the exception because she is so entertaining! However, perhaps that allows me to better determine who has been hyped. If it reaches even my ears, well... While I've seen scouting reports about the good defense of some HS players there has been one, and only one, that has reached the level of hype to my ears. That would be Nurse, and the hype was not about her defense in high school, but what a pain she was guarding veteran players on the national team. No other HS player to my casual ears had that kind of hype about her defense before putting on a Husky uniform.

2. I also think Nurse could have been the type of leader we have needed for awhile, but she was a victim of circumstances. For her entire UConn career she was surrounded by legitimate point guards and multiple first team Americans. It's not her fault she held back on some of her leadership potential, nor the coaching staff's, nor the players. Sometimes situations just dictate conditions beyond control, either for good or bad. Had Nurse reached her leadership potential at UConn that might have made a difference in a few key games, plus get her on the wall.

3. Getting back to Bueckers, I commented earlier on the BY that she could be great in a Stewart or Samuelson role of being the point on a 1-2-2 press. Actually, with the roster we will have those positions for the press would be interchangeable. Most could play the point, most could play the rear. Most will play good defense. They may not have the Nurse hype for defense but the scouting reports are promising.

4. Considering who will be on the roster just how good do people think Bueckers needs to be on defense? Even if she proves to be the fifth best defender that is still an excellent defensive squad we will have. Bueckers is coming into an ideal situation for herself in more ways than one. She seems to be highly coachable and will adapt fully, but with the others on her team she does not need to adapt much further than Samuelson, ie, make sure she only gets beat the right way for help defense. The type of defense we will need from her is entirely within her reach; the type of defense we will get is likely to exceed what is needed.

5. Muhl has been overlooked in this thread. For a press that will discombobulate opponents I would have Muhl in there before ONO. Edwards, Griffin and McLean all are capable of being the last line of defense for a press. Not for the half court, but for a full court press they would do nicely. In fact, an opponent might be more likely to make a bad pass in the area of a deceptively lengthy leaper than a tall player. For that matter, Muhl may prove better for a press than a few others cited.

Reaction Score

Now you've done it! Jingo is going to be quoting this and telling us it's next year's starting lineup. ;)

Reaction Score
Paige, Can’t wait to see you soon in a UCONN uniform!
As soon as safety allows! A prediction:
Paige sells lots of tickets like Dee! We’ll see
a full house in Husky town. We love you already
PB! Please bring with you. I know your trying! November 2020 the countdown is on.......

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Paige is quick enough and tall enough at her position to not worry one bit about her defense. She isn't going to be a stopper but the player she defends is not going to be "Diana Taurasi or Alana Beard." Her arms appear to be long as well - so added that with her size and quickness she not only will be okay defensively but she is/will be amazing for a press.

Reaction Score
Can’t wait to hear what Geno Is going to say about Paige’s defense after practice.

Something like,

Geno: yeah, we ran a 5 on 4 drill.
Reporter: But Coach, there are 10 players on the court.
Geno: Oh, was Paige on the court on the defensive end?

btw. I also saw her last game and was impressed by her defense (most of the time)

Reaction Score
Practically no one arrives as a freshman college ready on defense. She does not get low enough and her hands are generally not up where Geno wants them, so she is susceptible to the offensive player busting by her. See that fairly frequently. Still, I'm not throwing her back into the pool.
Neither am I. Virtually all high school players arrive in college needing to learn defense. No one questions her offense. I just want people to temper their expectations and give the girl time to develop. The coach who said a star offensive player couldn’t guard a chair just might be able to facilitate that development.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom