Paige makes U19 World Cup Team | The Boneyard

Paige makes U19 World Cup Team

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sorry to see that Aubrey did not make the squad, but it was always going to be an uphill climb for her. Having seen both play, I will say I am surprised Celeste Taylor made the squad over Aubrey. With that said, Aubrey now has a little extra motivation to prove to everyone just how talented a basketball player she is.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Yes. A bit of a surprise that Jones did not make the team while 2 of her future Stanford teammates did make the team.
Agreed, though I think this could be a blessing in disguise in the long run. I have to think on some level, being the consensus number 1 recruit for one's entire senior season would, even if only slightly, lead to a tendency to rest on one's laurels and/or get distracted enjoying the spotlight. It's pretty obvious her junior year was a better year for her than her senior year in terms of on-court accomplishments, even if her game still improved at the margins.

Getting temporarily displaced from the spotlight will, I'm sure, really give her some motivation to work on her game for the next month and then hit training and practices hard once summer session starts at Stanford. While she loses out on getting more high-level international playing time, she's already had a lot. It might be better to come into her freshman year laser-focused and ever so slightly humbled and hungry. That's my lemons-to-lemonade take, anyway...

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Agreed, though I think this could be a blessing in disguise in the long run. I have to think on some level, being the consensus number 1 recruit for one's entire senior season would, even if only slightly, lead to a tendency to rest on one's laurels and/or get distracted enjoying the spotlight. It's pretty obvious her junior year was a better year for her than her senior year in terms of on-court accomplishments, even if her game still improved at the margins.

Getting temporarily displaced from the spotlight will, I'm sure, really give her some motivation to work on her game for the next month and then hit training and practices hard once summer session starts at Stanford. While she loses out on getting more high-level international playing time, she's already had a lot. It might be better to come into her freshman year laser-focused and ever so slightly humbled and hungry. That's my lemons-to-lemonade take, anyway...
Do you have a permit for your lemonade stand? I hear they are cracking down!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Normally my lemonade opinions are just my two cents, but is it legal if I give 'em away for free?!
I love lemonade, so you are good with me!

Reaction Score
Sorry to see that Aubrey did not make the squad, but it was always going to be an uphill climb for her. Having seen both play, I will say I am surprised Celeste Taylor made the squad over Aubrey. With that said, Aubrey now has a little extra motivation to prove to everyone just how talented a basketball player she is.
The option to "Try OUT" is a good thrill for Real motivated WBB players. Aubrey, with Geno's help, will show the world what she can do. Remember Gabby came in a bit behind the curve, wasn't super great as a frosh--it's not how you begin the race, it's how you end it. Gabby ended the race a champion in all respects. Expect no less from Griffin.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
At first I was disappointed to learn that Griffin did not make the team. However, after learning that Jones did not make the team, I felt a little better. I wonder just how good a college player Jones will be.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
At first I was disappointed to learn that Griffin did not make the team. However, after learning that Jones did not make the team, I felt a little better. I wonder just how good a college player Jones will be.
Jones will be a very good college player, but Aubrey is probably a better athlete, with perhaps a greater upside when all is said and done. Hopefully, Aubrey can get some halfway decent coaching in college...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I got so carried away with A.Griffin I forgot to congratulate Paige, how to go Uconn kid. Your list of successes shall be many and all with your teammate Aubrey. Who shall pave the way for whom?

Reaction Score
Jones will be a very good college player, but Aubrey is probably a better athlete, with perhaps a greater upside when all is said and done. Hopefully, Aubrey can get some halfway decent coaching in college...:rolleyes:
I doubt that !! Holly is gone. I reently watched the 2015 NC game. Gabby got few minutes and not greatly productive. For the next 3 years she became GABBY because she had specialized coaching. AND, a coach that saw something a bit different that made a Champion. Aubrey has something a bit different. What a crazy season next year shall be: Talent and energy sometimes multiples. Poor poor Geno!!

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I doubt that !! Holly is gone. I reently watched the 2015 NC game. Gabby got few minutes and not greatly productive. For the next 3 years she became GABBY because she had specialized coaching. AND, a coach that saw something a bit different that made a Champion. Aubrey has something a bit different. What a crazy season next year shall be: Talent and energy sometimes multiples. Poor poor Geno!!
I think you're referencing the wrong post. My post has nothing to do with HW & Gabby. I'm comparing Haley Jones and Aubrey Griffin.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Here's the roster:
  • Fracesca Belibi (HS Sr., Stanford commit)
  • Aliyah Boston (HS Sr., SoCar commit)
  • Cameron Brink (HS Jr., Stanford commit)
  • Paige Bueckers (HS Jr., UConn commit)
  • Caitlin Clark (HS Jr., uncommitted)
  • Queen Egbo (Fr., Baylor)
  • Naz Hillmon (Fr., Michigan)
  • Rhyne Howard (Fr. Kentucky)
  • Jordan Nixon (Fr., Notre Dame)
  • NaLyssa Smith (Fr., Baylor)
  • Celeste Taylor (HS Sr., Texas commit)
  • Hailey Van Lith (HS Jr., uncommitted)

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Here's the roster:
  • Fracesca Belibi (HS Sr., Stanford commit)
  • Aliyah Boston (HS Sr., SoCar commit)
  • Cameron Brink (HS Jr., Stanford commit)
  • Paige Bueckers (HS Sr., UConn commit)
  • Caitlin Clark (HS Jr., uncommitted)
  • Queen Egbo (Fr., Baylor)
  • Naz Hillmon (Fr., Michigan)
  • Rhyne Howard (Fr. Kentucky)
  • Jordan Nixon (Fr., Notre Dame)
  • NaLyssa Smith (Fr., Baylor)
  • Celeste Taylor (HS Sr., Texas commit)
  • Hailey Van Lith (HS Jr., uncommitted)
That is 4 PGs (Paige, Caitlin, Jordan, Hailey) & only 1 SG (Celeste. ) Likely Paige and or Caitlin playing a lot of SG.

Reaction Score
I've never seen this many young ones ( rising seniors. The last u19s consisted of; 2018 Christyn Williams, 2016 Cox and Dangerfield, 2014 Turner Green and Wilson, and 2012 Stewart Tuck and Jones. Of course I'm talking about these classes when they were rising seniors, thus being the youngest players on the team. Four 2020's, five 2018's and only three 2019's seems a little weird.

Hopefully they win!! The last U19 ran into the pros of Vadeeva and Musina in the final. I bet if Cox played that tournament she could have held her own against them.

This team seems very strong at the guard positions. Clark and Bueckers will definitely have to be playing the 2 or "combo guard" positions. I think Howard and Smith will start, and be stars for this team. Boston or Egbo will start at the five.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That is 4 PGs (Paige, Caitlin, Jordan, Hailey) & only 1 SG (Celeste. ) Likely Paige and or Caitlin playing a lot of SG.
I hate to break it to you, but when I watched L.I. Lutheran play CTK, Celeste Taylor was running the offense at pg.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don’t know their exact birthdates, but it appears that Paige, Caitlyn, and Hailey are all playing up by TWO years. That’s a lot of responsibilities for young guards.

I think all 3 of them could play SG, even Hailey Van Lith.

It’s an interesting mix. I’m surprised that HayJo didn’t make it.

Reaction Score
Yes. A bit of a surprise that Jones did not make the team while 2 of her future Stanford teammates did make the team.
Here in Colorado the local news was playing up Belibi's selection and also mentioned her SAT scores--never any doubt she was Stanford bound after hearing those.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom