Paige ESPN All American | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Paige ESPN All American

Reaction Score
The Women Basketball community would have a heart attack on Twitter if Paige wins NPOY. I don’t understand why they hate the attention she gets. She is a great player that brings the views and the clicks that will draw more interest to the Women’s game.
Just wait until next year, and the year after that, and the year after that when it comes down to picking between two UConn players.

Reaction Score
Sorry. you're not watching! Megan has nothing to do with Paige. Paige is the floor general, primary ballhandler, best player on the team, or WCBB for that matter. Megan is a "3". Megan would have affected E.
I think the team would have been a little better with Walker, Meg would probably be leading the team in scoring, which would have allowed Paige to stay at point guard. I think the line up would have been Bueckers, Westbrook, Williams, Walker, and Liv. I remember a few huskies doing individual workouts and tagging each other on Instagram back in the summer of 2019, I think E was the one who started the post, and Walker was the one who tagged Paige and said something along the lines of don’t forget our newest husky, I’m sure Meg was excited and looking forward to playing with Paige, but just took her opportunity and headed to the league. Walker would have given us 2 All Americans, made us that much more of a favorite to win the title, and she likely would have been taken 1st or 2nd overall in the upcoming Draft.

Three things Walker staying would have changed
Paige doesn’t go off for 30 points 3 games in a row
Mühl doesn’t emerge as a starter
Edwards doesn’t get to wear #3

Reaction Score
I don’t know that Walker would have taken PT from Paige, but she would have done three things that might not have allowed this team to grow into the potential national championship team that they have become.

Walker would likely have taken minutes from Aaliyah, limiting her development. She would also command the ball more in isolation, potentially stifling movement on offense.

Lastly, as the only senior on the team, Megan would have most likely been the designated team leader, relegating Paige to a supporting role. IMO Paige’s leadership is her most important contribution to this UConn team.
^^^^^ this. Team chemistry would not be what it is now.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Following SI’s AA team recognition, and now ESPN, I fully expect that Paige will be named 1st team AA on every single AA team to be announced in the coming weeks.
What the heck is WRONG WITH YOU??? Knock on some wood, throw salt over your should and say 3 Hail Mary’s to not jinx this!

Jeesh some guys...Head bang

:D

Reaction Score
If Megan Walker had stayed, I doubt Paige would have gotten the playing time she needed to become an All-American. Walker would have given UConn a better shot at the NC, but our season would have been less rewarding and fun filled. Either way, I would still be glued to the TV screen every time they played.
I think if she had stayed, you'd be seeing less minutes from Evina & Nika. Their best lineup could possibly have been Paige, CW, MW, AE, ONO. Walker could have played the 4 to start games, but she probably would have flourished on the wing when AE subbed in. She's a much more reliable outside shooter than Westbrook, Muhl, & Williams. Her outside shooting would have really helped, but I like the team we have now.

Reaction Score
The suggestion to cut the award in half brought to mind the King Solomon Conundrum. You may recall that the late king had to decide to whom to give the contested baby (let's call it the NPOY award). He offered to cut it in two and share the baby with each claimant. Seemed fair. But then the real mother (let's call her Paige) declined the deal. She said the life of the child (let's call it the NC) was more important than any prize: "Give the woman the baby, and give me the NC." Problem solved.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Social Media is heating up on who should win National Freshmen of the Year. Many favor Caitlin as she has the better stats when comparing them against Paige stats. Probably not a coincidence but some of the ones favoring Caitlin are not fans of UConn. ? IMO the WBCA has a tough decision to make if they have to decide between Paige and Caitlin. Paige has gotten the more publicity and she's a member of the #1 Ranked Team in the Country. They won't be able to overlook the Stats Caitlin has accumulated. If Iowa goes deep into the BIG Post Season Tournament, that will significantly help Caitlin as Paige has finished playing for regular season. In the Ideal World, I would like to see Paige and Caitlin share the Award.
:eek: What, the title of the award is singular not plural.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think you gotta give it to Smith over Collier. The two head to head games were a mismatch and Smith took Big 12 POY. The other 4 of yours I think I‘d match.
I am not sure why my esteemed colleague @MilfordHusky has Charli over Smith (maybe cuz she was one time UConn commit?) as Smith did dominate her with 37-14 in points, led her 15-14 in reb; and 4-2 in blocks and 2-0 in wins
Collier did have an interesting matchup in 2 games against Mack: 36-37 points; 36-21 in reb: 5-8 in blocks while splitting the season.
I have seen Mack play 5 times and I think she’s good but not AA good and I would put Hillmon ahead of her.

Reaction Score
This is a better team than last year. MW was a great shooter and a good one on one player but was not a good defender and a bad passer.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Congrats to Paige and the others. I disagree substantially. My top 5 include:

Paige
Evans
Clark
Hillmon
Collier

I would also have Kiana Williams ahead of Haley Jones.

I am not sure why my esteemed colleague @MilfordHusky has Charli over Smith (maybe cuz she was one time UConn commit?) as Smith did dominate her with 37-14 in points, led her 15-14 in reb; and 4-2 in blocks and 2-0 in wins
Collier did have an interesting matchup in 2 games against Mack: 36-37 points; 36-21 in reb: 5-8 in blocks while splitting the season.
I have seen Mack play 5 times and I think she’s good but not AA good and I would put Hillmon ahead of her.

- As to who is voting on these things, both si.com and ESPNw have tightened their staffs this year. Sports Illustrated attibuted their picks to "staff" (a sign that one person may have been pulling together research and submitted it to an editor) while ESPNw used to dutifully list who their voters were. Not this time. We know Graham Hays is no longer there and he was the writer I thought was most in touch with personnel.

- I agree with DefenseBB that while I admire what Ms. Mack has done for Oklahoma State, there is no way she's an AA over Naz Hillmon who was voted B1G player of the year (over two people ESPNw chose for their teams).
Naz is on my second team (Smith is really good).

• If I had my druthers, I'd choose these five and a sixth person first team. They've all been exceptional.
  • Paige
  • Clark
  • N. Smith
  • Cunane
  • Boston
and
- Evans coming off the bench to wreak havoc at opptune times.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
- As to who is voting on these things, both si.com and ESPNw have tightened their staffs this year. Sports Illustrated attibuted their picks to "staff" (a sign that one person may have been pulling together research and submitted it to an editor) while ESPNw used to dutifully list who their voters were. Not this time. We know Graham Hays is no longer there and he was the writer I thought was most in touch with personnel.

- I agree with DefenseBB that while I admire what Ms. Mack has done for Oklahoma State, there is no way she's an AA over Naz Hillmon who was voted B1G player of the year (over two people ESPNw chose for their teams).
Naz is on my second team (Smith is really good).

• If I had my druthers, I'd choose these five and a sixth person first team. They've all been exceptional.
  • Paige
  • Clark
  • N. Smith
  • Cunane
  • Boston
and
- Evans coming off the bench to wreak havoc at opptune times.
Sorry I can't agree with Boston as a first teamer. While she has name recognition and is a good player she has not been one of the 5 or 6 best this year. I would enjoy hearing your defense of her as a 1st team AA this year. While I imagine she may be anointed with 1st team status I believe that 2 would be on team and name recognition as well.

Reaction Score
I don’t know that Walker would have taken PT from Paige, but she would have done three things that might not have allowed this team to grow into the potential national championship team that they have become.

Walker would likely have taken minutes from Aaliyah, limiting her development. She would also command the ball more in isolation, potentially stifling movement on offense.

Lastly, as the only senior on the team, Megan would have most likely been the designated team leader, relegating Paige to a supporting role. IMO Paige’s leadership is her most important contribution to this UConn team.
Perfectly stated Old Dude .. esp the part about stifling movement on offense .. moreover, IMO, Megan and Paige's styles were/are not complementary .. in the impasse, Megan would have lost out [less minutes] and Megan would not make All-American playing on the same team with Paige .. not everyone agrees with me but I strongly feel that ONO is our other All-American this year, she does so many things for the team on BOTH offense and defense ... [and no, i m NOT related to Liv! haha...]

Reaction Score
If Megan Walker had stayed, I doubt Paige would have gotten the playing time she needed to become an All-American. Walker would have given UConn a better shot at the NC, but our season would have been less rewarding and fun filled. Either way, I would still be glued to the TV screen every time they played.
Really? If I had not crossed the street, the bread truck would not have hit me. Total speculation for what purpose? Paige is here, Megan is not and we are seeing a generational talent play great UConn basketball. Why does there ALWAYS has to be at least one person to diminish a player's accomplishment by throwing hypotheticals or speculating, "If not this, then that..."? It could easily have been that if Megan stayed Paige still starts and does what she is doing, but what's the purpose of even speculating?? Just enjoy the team for what it is and who's on it!!

Reaction Score
Really? If I had not crossed the street, the bread truck would not have hit me. Total speculation for what purpose? Paige is here, Megan is not and we are seeing a generational talent play great UConn basketball. Why does there ALWAYS has to be at least one person to diminish a player's accomplishment by throwing hypotheticals or speculating, "If not this, then that..."? It could easily have been that if Megan stayed Paige still starts and does what she is doing, but what's the purpose of even speculating?? Just enjoy the team for what it is and who's on it!!
UConn player accomplishments have been diminished during Mount Rushmore discussions :

• Stewie had Moriah, Tuck, KML, Hartley, and Dolson.
  • Maya had Renee and Tina.
  • UConn would have won NCAA championship without Stewie her freshman season (speculation).
  • Maya won only 2 national championships.

SNY disgustingly diminished Moriah's accomplishments during their UConn All Time Top 10 special. Penalized her for playing with Stewie. Failed to highlight Taurasi played with Bird and Swin for 2 years. Failed to highight that Sue played with Sveta, Shea, Swin, Taurasi, etc.

Reaction Score
I don’t think MW was fully “in,” and am glad she’s gone.
^^^^^ this. Team chemistry would not be what it is now.
Walker had bad shooting numbers vs some of the elite teams last year, but I don’t get how the above statements with no facts to back it up is allowed, but saying so and so might look to transfer at the end of the season isn’t allowed?

Reaction Score
Walker had bad shooting numbers vs some of the elite teams last year, but I don’t get how the above statements with no facts to back it up is allowed, but saying so and so might look to transfer at the end of the season isn’t allowed?

I agree.
To further that, if this team had Walker, UCONN would be like some of other of the great UCONN super teams. I don't agree with anyone "talking down Walker" to the degree it's being done.

With Walker,
1-- This team wouldn't have to see much of Liv (or Aubrey) taking 15+ 20+ foot jump shots in close, big games.
2-- UCONN would have been undefeated.
3-- There would have been more rest for Paige, CWill and Evina because UCONN would have blown out teams much earlier.
4a-- Her presence would have allowed for growth due to stiffer competition between Edwards, Evina, CWIll and Nika.
4b-- Walker would have given a shot to have benched anyone at the 1-4 positions who wasn't performing such as CWill's game vs Arkansas. (Geno would have used minutes as the driving force to reward playing time rather than having to play players that weren't performing to his standards.).
5-- Walker would have been playing with better players across the board (I love ya Danger but Paige is better) coached by the greatest WCBB in the history of the sport. That would have translated into better performances across the board.
6-- Her terrific shooting would have opened up the lane - thus resulting in tremendous ball movement / execution of offense sets.
7-- She would've fit perfectly with Paige. You'd have two tremendous outside shooters. It's not like UCONN hasn't had super players on the same court before. Especially when one is a great, great, great passer.
8-- UCONN would have been the prohibitive favorite to win it all.

Just countering all the negative regarding Walker. Walker should not have been brought up here but as she was - then might as well give her her deserved props. She helped keep UCONN relevant on a highly flawed team. And that's huge.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I didn't look at the head-to-head play, but Charli's overall numbers were more impressive. She averaged 20.9 and 12.2. Smith averaged 18.1 and 9.3. I like NaLyssa and like her game. When she was in high school, I wished that UConn had gotten her.

Reaction Score
And I hope in the final minutes of the NC win, there are 5 freshmen on the floor......

inal

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
UConn player accomplishments have been diminished during Mount Rushmore discussions :

• Stewie had Moriah, Tuck, KML, Hartley, and Dolson.
  • Maya had Renee and Tina.
  • UConn would have won NCAA championship without Stewie her freshman season (speculation).
  • Maya won only 2 national championships.

SNY disgustingly diminished Moriah's accomplishments during their UConn All Time Top 10 special. Penalized her for playing with Stewie. Failed to highlight Taurasi played with Bird and Swin for 2 years. Failed to highight that Sue played with Sveta, Shea, Swin, Taurasi, etc.

Some interesting career stats:

Sue shot 48/46/89

Kaleena shot 49/45/87

Moriah shot 55/42/82

Maya shot 53/40/80

Stewie shot 53/36/80

Diana shot 47/39/82

The best overall shooter from the floor of this group was 5'7" Moriah Jefferson. The best 3-point shooters were Sue and Kaleena. The best FT shooters were also Sue and Kaleena. In 2014-15, Mo shot .496 from the arc, edging out the great KML, who shot .482.

Reaction Score
Some interesting career stats:

Sue shot 48/46/89

Kaleena shot 49/45/87

Moriah shot 55/42/82

Maya shot 53/40/80

Stewie shot 53/36/80

Diana shot 47/39/82

The best overall shooter from the floor of this group was 5'7" Moriah Jefferson. The best 3-point shooters were Sue and Kaleena. The best FT shooters were also Sue and Kaleena. In 2014-15, Mo shot .496 from the arc, edging out the great KML, who shot .482.
Kaleena took a lot more 3-point shots than Moriah. Kaleena hit 398 of 890 3-point shots. Can't find Moriah's career stats anywhere, but I know she probably took maybe half as many as Kaleena.
I don’t think MW was fully “in,” and am glad she’s gone.
I agree. Megan rarely played well against the top teams.

Reaction Score
I-I-I don't know, whether Walker "would have given Uconn a better shot at the NC." To my mind, Walker never achieved her number 1 potential. And she in no way exhibited the take charge skills that Paige has exhibited minus that senior leadership. With or without Walker, Paige was never going to gather bench splinters.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom