Paige coming back | The Boneyard

Paige coming back

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
According to an article in the Athletic, Paige says she will be coming back for at least one more year of college basketball. She also said she will have to be 110% before she does play again.

Reaction Score
ESPN also has an article. Hopefully this will ease some concerns for the fans :)

Reaction Score
ESPN also has an article. Hopefully this will ease some concerns for the fans :)

“I just want to be 110% healthy before I ever play basketball again.”I’m reading between the lines here but, to me, it says she wasn’t at that point when she returned last season. There was a weakness there that caused the current injury. Even though they were different injuries, it was the same knee. I wish her well and can’t wait to see her talent back on the court. But, some poor decisions may have occurred last year.

Reaction Score
“I just want to be 110% healthy before I ever play basketball again.”I’m reading between the lines here but, to me, it says she wasn’t at that point when she returned last season. There was a weakness there that caused the current injury. Even though they were different injuries, it was the same knee. I wish her well and can’t wait to see her talent back on the court. But, some poor decisions may have occurred last year.
I caught that as well. It was also mentioned multiple times in broadcasts and by both Geno and Paige that she wasn’t at 100% at various points throughout the tournament. I don’t think it was necessarily a poor decision seeing as the two injuries were apparently unrelated, freak accident type of situations. Just a risk-reward assessment and Paige’s desire to return to play taking precedence over 100% healthiness. Also, the consideration of what is 100% has a significant mental component to it. According to the UConn staff, the knee was 100% at Paige’s point of return but the mental feeling of 100% wasn’t quite there til probably the offseason.

Reaction Score
I caught that as well. It was also mentioned multiple times in broadcasts and by both Geno and Paige that she wasn’t at 100% at various points throughout the tournament. I don’t think it was necessarily a poor decision seeing as the two injuries were apparently unrelated, freak accident type of situations. Just a risk-reward assessment and Paige’s desire to return to play taking precedence over 100% healthiness. Also, the consideration of what is 100% has a significant mental component to it. According to the UConn staff, the knee was 100% at Paige’s point of return but the mental feeling of 100% wasn’t quite there til probably the offseason.
I agree that it comes down to the players mentality but it pretty clear - as you say - the desire to return took precedence over health. Her statement says she won’t let that happen again. Although they were 2 seperate injuries, they were on the same knee. I believe they are related. There is a weakness in that knee. I hope she doesn’t return until she attains that 110%.

Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Breanna Stewart said something similar about her Achilles injury? I thought I heard it being discussed during one of the play-off games.

That year off made such a difference and it's evident on the court. Hoping Paige has a similar result.

Reaction Score
Although they were 2 seperate injuries, they were on the same knee. I believe they are related.
Since none of us are apart of Paige’s medical team, I don’t think anyone can claim the injuries are related. Especially if Paige & co. claim they are unrelated injuries. Being the same knee could just be mere coincidence. Consider that the injury also happened about 5 months after she returned from the initial left knee injury. That’s pretty much twice as long as the recovery for that initial injury. Had the injury occurred during the NCAA tournament it would be a different story and the relation of the two injuries would be much more obvious. However, with the break she had in between (returning from the first knee injury to tearing the ACL), I do believe she was fully healed and just caught a tough break.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well damn, I was really looking forward to seeing her play for UCONN again. This pretty much puts the nail in the coffin. :(

Reaction Score
To all the doomsday predictions….the girl has loyalty in her heart….and also she wants to win a championship and add to her legend….I never doubted she would stay.
No one like her.

Reaction Score
As long as "110% healthy" isn't the same as "110% committed" that's bandied about so frequently by prospects.

Kidding aside, I hope 110% healthy means "in better physical condition than ever." She's a worthy adversary - not an enemy. May God and her dedication see her become even better.

Reaction Score
Where did people think she was going to go?

Of course she's coming back.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
As long as "110% healthy" isn't the same as "110% committed" that's bandied about so frequently by prospects.

Kidding aside, I hope 110% healthy means "in better physical condition than ever." She's a worthy adversary - not an enemy. May God and her dedication see her become even better.
In her presser, she said during the summer right before the injury, she was feeling stronger and playing better than she ever had. Her smile said it all. She was not fooling herself and Geno is on record as saying the same thing. . She will use this time to further improve her strength and her mind. I would put her firmly in the coaching circle (as she only half joked) and really have her continue her deep dive into the details of the game.

And also giving a lot of Mind Melds to the players.

Reaction Score
Where did people think she was going to go?

Of course she's coming back.
She’s eligible age-wise for the next WNBA draft in 2023. However, Paige has never wavered from her intention to stay (at least) 4 years and complete her degree.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
From the NYTimes…

Schoenthal said Bueckers would have marketing opportunities if she jumped to the W.N.B.A. But he added: “I think there is an argument to be made that she’s more marketable while at UConn because UConn women’s basketball is probably more popular than most W.N.B.A. teams. So I think it’s fair to say that one of reasons she’s coming back is name, image and likeness.”

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

“I mean, she’s going to make well over a million dollars. It’s not even a question,” Jason Belzer, the chief executive of Student Athlete NIL, an agency that works with brands doing campaigns for student athletes

Schoenthal said Bueckers would have marketing opportunities if she jumped to the W.N.B.A. But he added: “I think there is an argument to be made that she’s more marketable while at UConn because UConn women’s basketball is probably more popular than most W.N.B.A. teams. So I think it’s fair to say that one of reasons she’s coming back is name, image and likeness.”

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It’s undeniable that the era of NIL has created lots of challenges for college sports. But the idea that NIL would keep star athletes like Paige in school is a benefit few considered when NIL became a reality for college athletes.

Reaction Score
For a variety of reasons, I hope Paige plays two more seasons. From her own standpoint she might be a little better year after next, since it is not uncommon for players to not get all the way back until the second year after surgery. The other is the expectation that pairing Paige and Azzi would be one of the best PG/SG combinations of all time. As good friends that is something they and we were really looking forward to.

As a result of injury plagued seasons for both, the first of what was supposed to be three seasons of this dynamic duo never really happened, since one or the other was out all together or playing at less than full strength. The second year of the duo is ruined by Paige's injury, so next year is the first time this combo we expected for three seasons can really show how effective they can be together.

That would be only 1 of the 3 anticipated, at least with both healthy. If Paige stayed one more year, she could hopefully get a second healthy year with Azzi, which is something I could see her wanting to do. It would be a shame if this combo expected for three seasons only had one healthy one together.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

“I mean, she’s going to make well over a million dollars. It’s not even a question,” Jason Belzer, the chief executive of Student Athlete NIL, an agency that works with brands doing campaigns for student athletes

If anyone is out of NYT articles, I posted this above as a gifted article.

Reaction Score
Some facts are in order. The quoted individual is looking to protect how he makes his living, by underestimating how much Bueckers would make in the W. N. B A. As I have stated previously. Paige made about $900,000 last year with this years projection at 1.6 million. Nike has a 50 million 10 year offer when she turns pro. This is in addition to what she already represents. He ignores the fact that she doesn't loose her current revenue, but gains substantially more as a pro. Unless the player is marginal talent there is no benefit to jeopardizing your future by staying in school. I put the odds of Bueckers staying at Conn past the age of 22 at less than 10%.

Reaction Score
Good for Paige on coming back next season. She has to do what is best for her and her family. She is a mature young lady with a solid support system. I respect her decision no matter what.

Reaction Score
It should never have been about coming back as good as she previously was last season. She should have taken extra time to strengthen the muscles around the kneee to protect against future injuries. That is something she did not do and probably why she was reinjured. Some players are just more prone to knee injuries and need to be more proactive in their approach. A player like Paige needs to be more concerned about her long term future than just helping a college team win games. I certainly hope her stating that she will not come back till she is 110% is in respect to taking time to strengthen her knees after they are healed instead of just beginning to play ball.

Reaction Score
It should never have been about coming back as good as she previously was last season. She should have taken extra time to strengthen the muscles around the kneee to protect against future injuries. That is something she did not do and probably why she was reinjured. Some players are just more prone to knee injuries and need to be more proactive in their approach. A player like Paige needs to be more concerned about her long term future than just helping a college team win games. I certainly hope her stating that she will not come back till she is 110% is in respect to taking time to strengthen her knees after they are healed instead of just beginning to play ball.
You obviously have no concept of how much post surgical rehab is done on knee injuries. The doctors and trainers would not clear a player for contact practice until all those muscles test out to 100%.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Nike has a 50 million 10 year offer when she turns pro. This is in addition to what she already receives.
What is your source for this assertion? I haven't seen it stated in any news article.

Also, if Nike is really ready to make this offer, why would they make it conditional on Paige turning pro, given that NIL is legal for college athletes? Everything I've read suggests that Paige would get much better TV audience ratings playing for UConn than for a WNBA team, as well as more publicity generally. Isn't she worth more to Nike at UConn than in an Indiana Fever uniform, to pick a random team who might draft her?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom