Paige Bueckers Was Born to Play Basketball | The Boneyard

Paige Bueckers Was Born to Play Basketball

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In the years that Geno has coached UConn WBB we have become used to seeing exceptional effort from his players. Jen, Sue, Shea, Maya, Gabby and many others, who left it all on the court, immediately come to mind. But I cannot recall anyone from the remarkable pantheon of UConn WBB players who gave a more extraordinary effort than Paige Bueckers, especially over the last two games. After the SC loss, Geno challenged his team to “get tougher.” Paige received Geno’s message and set out to will this team to another level with her play and her effort.

Against Seton Hall and ND, Paige was everywhere on the court. She was UConn’s best offensive player as well as the team’s best defensive player. She dove for loose balls, fought for rebounds among the trees, took charging calls, jumped every passing lane, all while running the offense and making one big play after another……and the plays Paige made!!! In yesterday’s game, Paige made several plays that no one else on the court could make, and she made them so effortlessly that you might just take them for granted.

In the first half, when Sam Brunelle, her former World Championship teammate, tried to make an outlet pass with Paige standing 3 ft away from her. Paige had perfect timing, snatching the pass out of midair, controlling it, dribbling by a stunned Brunelle and knocking down a mid-range jumper, hitting nothing but net.

Right before the half, Paige had the presence of mind not to throw up a 60 ft shot with little chance of making it. She spotted a streaking Christyn, dropping a perfect dime just over the outstretched hand of a ND defended for a crowd-pleasing, buzzer-beating layup.

In the second half, as UConn began to pull away, Paige made a steal on the defensive end. With two ND defenders positioned to cut her off, Paige turned on the afterburners, splitting the defenders like the parting of the Red Sea for a layup. Lastly, Paige made a quick move to attack the basket hitting a running, one-handed bank shot from 10 ft that would have been extremely difficult for just about any other player. For Paige, it was like making just another easy layup.

Paige literally transcends the game of basketball with her effort. A bloody nose earned in the SH game was just the start. Against ND, she hit the floor at least 6 times off the top of my head, and likely more. One play stood out. Paige dove after a loose ball in front of Maya Dodson, ND’s big post, getting run over in the process. That hit had her on the floor for a minute until she was able to collect herself and get back in the game.

Now we are all praying for the best and fearing the worst, waiting for the results of an MRI and the prognosis for Paige’s recovery. It’s a terrible, anxious feeling to have. Whatever the news turns out to be, everyone needs to see Paige back on the court as soon as possible, because we have never seen anyone quite like her. Paige Bueckers was born to play basketball.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So true @oldude When I rewatch old UConn games which is often, I spend more than 90% on Paige's games. Part of my insane attraction for Paige's game is that she is doing so much on intellect and team play. That her defense and intangibles (like throwing her body around like a football player) has risen to the level of DPOY was a bit of a surprise. And I will again say, no matter who you compare her to, no one has more pressure on her to excel from being at UConn (A program with 11 championships but trying to get back to the glory) to NIL and social media pressures.

I am in tears right now hoping for good news.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Like many other posters, I’ve been following UConn since the mid-90’s and have watched many of the legends. My favorite player up to now has been Sue Bird. In college and in the pro’s, she was/is the consummate floor leader.

Enter Paige Beuckers. Is there anything on the court she cannot do? As talented and skilled as she is, her singular gift is to ”see” & “feel” the game like no one else. From full-court passes that hit the player in stride, to knowing when to turn it on offensively, to anticipating/stealing a pass, to making baskets in a myriad of ways, to hitting that sweet pull-up jumper, her game is elegance defined.

Yes, there are many UConn greats with numbers, accolades, trophies and histories. However, early in her second season, I would offer that she is the most complete player to ever wear a UConn uniform.

Reaction Score
This is a lovely post. And all true. IMO the only former UConn player comparable to her is Diana, who had the same brand of transcendence and court vision. And Paige is doing it basically a year in her career earlier than Diana did (and arguably doing it with greater output). Obviously, comparing players like this is futile but I do see the Diana “it factor” in her - a fully complete game with, as you say, elegant court vision and virtually unlimited weapons.

She is just so easy and fluid to watch.

Reaction Score
In the years that Geno has coached UConn WBB we have become used to seeing exceptional effort from his players. Jen, Sue, Shea, Maya, Gabby and many others, who left it all on the court, immediately come to mind. But I cannot recall anyone from the remarkable pantheon of UConn WBB players who gave a more extraordinary effort than Paige Bueckers, especially over the last two games. After the SC loss, Geno challenged his team to “get tougher.” Paige received Geno’s message and set out to will this team to another level with her play and her effort.

Against Seton Hall and ND, Paige was everywhere on the court. She was UConn’s best offensive player as well as the team’s best defensive player. She dove for loose balls, fought for rebounds among the trees, took charging calls, jumped every passing lane, all while running the offense and making one big play after another……and the plays Paige made!!! In yesterday’s game, Paige made several plays that no one else on the court could make, and she made them so effortlessly that you might just take them for granted.

In the first half, when Sam Brunelle, her former World Championship teammate, tried to make an outlet pass with Paige standing 3 ft away from her. Paige had perfect timing, snatching the pass out of midair, controlling it, dribbling by a stunned Brunelle and knocking down a mid-range jumper, hitting nothing but net.

Right before the half, Paige had the presence of mind not to throw up a 60 ft shot with little chance of making it. She spotted a streaking Christyn, dropping a perfect dime just over the outstretched hand of a ND defended for a crowd-pleasing, buzzer-beating layup.

In the second half, as UConn began to pull away, Paige made a steal on the defensive end. With two ND defenders positioned to cut her off, Paige turned on the afterburners, splitting the defenders like the parting of the Red Sea for a layup. Lastly, Paige made a quick move to attack the basket hitting a running, one-handed bank shot from 10 ft that would have been extremely difficult for just about any other player. For Paige, it was like making just another easy layup.

Paige literally transcends the game of basketball with her effort. A bloody nose earned in the SH game was just the start. Against ND, she hit the floor at least 6 times off the top of my head, and likely more. One play stood out. Paige dove after a loose ball in front of Maya Dodson, ND’s big post, getting run over in the process. That hit had her on the floor for a minute until she was able to collect herself and get back in the game.

Now we are all praying for the best and fearing the worst, waiting for the results of an MRI and the prognosis for Paige’s recovery. It’s a terrible, anxious feeling to have. Whatever the news turns out to be, everyone needs to see Paige back on the court as soon as possible, because we have never seen anyone quite like her. Paige Bueckers was born to play basketball.
I can’t begin to tell you the anticipation and joy I get from watching Paige play basketball. She’s one of a kind.

Reaction Score
Ciao, i'm not american like you but italian, but i'm in full agreement with you. in Paige we see the essence of basketball that is not just making big tally of points but being a teammate who improves by example and with the game who is next to her at that moment by helping her in every way. .. I am happy with your comments about her ... you can see that you love her and I join you, hoping to hear good news about her this afternoon

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Ciao, i'm not american like you but italian, but i'm in full agreement with you. in Paige we see the essence of basketball that is not just making big tally of points but being a teammate who improves by example and with the game who is next to her at that moment by helping her in every way. .. I am happy with your comments about her ... you can see that you love her and I join you, hoping to hear good news about her this afternoon
Ben detto. :)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This is a lovely post. And all true. IMO the only former UConn player comparable to her is Diana, who had the same brand of transcendence and court vision. And Paige is doing it basically a year in her career earlier than Diana did (and arguably doing it with greater output). Obviously, comparing players like this is futile but I do see the Diana “it factor” in her - a fully complete game with, as you say, elegant court vision and virtually unlimited weapons.

She is just so easy and fluid to watch.

I actually like Paige's game more than DT's. Diana would often take very hard shots early in the clock. The fact she made so many and at the most important times is great but I just dont see it as my ideal. Diana could pass with the best of them but it definitely took second stage. What really impresses me above all with Paige is the restraint in her game. She just does not take (or want to take) hard shots if there are other options. Like a 4D chess player, she just looks to survey the board.

And to be honest, while I understand the attraction of "Swaggy" play for fans and players alike, I think Paige's restraint in passing is even more impressive. I recall the first game she played against Lowell where she did an around the world behind the back to Aubrey who was not really expecting it and it went off her fingers. I thought based on her Hopkins experience that she would look all the time for the exceptional harder pass than the more fundamental pass that gets the job done but was I wrong. She enjoys the fundamental pass as much as any highlight pass and while she can do any pass in the book, that is not who she really is.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One more endearing characteristic of Paige is that she wears her emotions on her sleeve. We have now seen Paige’s tears on two occasions. The first time was joyful, when Geno surprised her with the AP POY Award in front of her teammates during the Big Dance last season. Sadly, we all witnessed Paige’s painful tears yesterday after that terrible injury.

But it is Paige’s exuberant emotional displays on the court, frequently celebrating a great play by a teammate, that make you love the way she plays the game. IMO the highlight in yesterday’s game was Christyn’s buzzer-beater at the half. Trailing the play after dropping a perfect dime on her streaking teammate, Paige leaped about 3 ft in the air, raising her fist in triumph as Christyn’s shot fell at the buzzer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Grazie!!

Reaction Score
Seeing her live against Seton Hall, there was no doubt in my mind that she has a talent like no other and I truly mean that. I have never seen such a high basketball IQ, such incredible anticipation on defense, so many different shots, so many perfectly elegant passes. Yes, and she is also emotional, charismatic, and thoroughly professional in her approach to the game. It is as though her mind imagines a play, a pass, a shot, or a steal on the court, and her body automatically gets it done. Just extraordinary. I truly hope she will not need surgery.

That end of the first half pass yesterday was unreal but I easily believed it because she did the exact same thing against Seton Hall and we all just flipped out. Her talent is actually being underestimated.

Reaction Score
I agree 100% with Old Dude, great post.
I tried to make a point last week regarding Paige's play that her effort and performance, just the sheer amount of plays she makes, makes everyone else look avg. ( Both her teammates and opponents).
She is spectacular in every sense of the word.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Seeing her live against Seton Hall, there was no doubt in my mind that she has a talent like no other and I truly mean that. I have never seen such a high basketball IQ, such incredible anticipation on defense, so many different shots, so many perfectly elegant passes. Yes, and she is also emotional, charismatic, and thoroughly professional in her approach to the game. It is as though her mind imagines a play, a pass, a shot, or a steal on the court, and her body automatically gets it done. Just extraordinary. I truly hope she will not need surgery.

That end of the first half pass yesterday was unreal but I easily believed it because she did the exact same thing against Seton Hall and we all just flipped out. Her talent is actually being underestimated.
To quote Chris Dailey’s mystical complement about Paige, “She sees things…..”

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I actually like Paige's game more than DT's. Diana would often take very hard shots early in the clock. The fact she made so many and at the most important times is great but I just dont see it as my ideal. Diana could pass with the best of them but it definitely took second stage. What really impresses me above all with Paige is the restraint in her game. She just does not take (or want to take) hard shots if there are other options. Like a 4D chess player, she just looks to survey the board.
Are you sure you watched Diana play?

As a starter on the 2002 team she ended the season with 202 assists, second to Sue. When she needed to take on a greater scoring load as a junior and senior she still led those teams in assists. She averaged 162 assists per season in her 4 years at UConn while also leading the team in scoring twice and barely 2nd in scoring to Swin in 2002. I would also note that in '02-'03, Diana led the team in scoring and assists and tied for the lead in rebounds as a guard.

My ideal? Three national championships. We'll see what Paige is able to do.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Are you sure you watched Diana play?

As a starter on the 2002 team she ended the season with 202 assists, second to Sue. When she needed to take on a greater scoring load as a junior and senior she still led those teams in assists. She averaged 162 assists per season in her 4 years at UConn while also leading the team in scoring twice and barely 2nd in scoring to Swin in 2002. I would also note that in '02-'03, Diana led the team in scoring and assists and tied for the lead in rebounds as a guard.

My ideal? Three national championships. We'll see what Paige is able to do.
I sense another GOAT debate. ;). I would only add that IMHO, at this point in her career. Paige is a better defender than DT.

Reaction Score
I sense another GOAT debate. ;). I would only add that IMHO, at this point in her career. Paige is a better defender than DT.

Diana did whatever was needed to win, including making her teammates better.
I think we can all agree that Diana was a phenomenal, all-time great player. There is no slight made at what Diana has accomplished. In fact, she herself has commented that Paige’s skills are other worldly.
If I could make a more current reference to Paige’s “way” of playing the game it would be to compare her to Beth Harmon in The Queen’s Gambit. As Beth Harmon would lie in bed watching the chess pieces come alive on the ceiling (courtesy of pharmacological enhancements), I envision Paige dissecting the flow of the game in a similar way. She justs sees the game differently from everyone else. Combined with her skills, shooting, passing, anticipatory defense, etc., that is why I think she is the most complete all-around player.

Reaction Score
I love the DT/Paige discussions, but think of it more as a comparison rather than a debate at this very young point in Paige’s career. I think most would agree, though, that Paige has shown so much brilliance already that it’s clear she has the potential to be the best WBB player of all time, and how she grows and develops in the next decade will be fascinating to watch. Her peak, I imagine, is still very far away - imagine if she takes a trajectory like Maya or DT did in the pros. Phew. As I felt when DT graduated, I am so thrilled we get to watch Paige on that journey.

The long and short of it is that I think Paige and DT share many skill sets and instincts, but also are different in many ways — and both, I imagine, will end up on WBB Mount Rushmore when all is said and done.

Reaction Score
To quote Chris Dailey’s mystical complement about Paige, “She sees things…..”
I think all the truly great ones have that. Bird knew exactly where everyone would be, not just where they were. Gretzky also. Jordan too. I remember one pick and roll last year with AE when Paige had her back completely turned and threw a pass to her exactly where she had taken several steps to at exactly the right instant. I thought to myself "great pass, but lucky pass". I know better now.

Reaction Score
Diana had a way of making good players great and unsure players confident and champions. She was very much like Jordan in that respect. Would you have ever heard of John Paxson or Steve Kerr as players without him? Or Marie Conlon without Diana? I haven't seen the same effect on our team yet in any discernible way but certainly "the light went on" yesterday in Caroline's head and I have to think that Paige had some impact there.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I spent a lot of last night thinking about the amazing impact Paige has had on WBB in general, as well as the impact on me. I have been a UCONN WBB fan since the 90's and cherished all the players thru the years. I wanted to express my feelings on Paige and didn't know exactly how to put it into the right words. I was prepared to stumble and bumble with a post about it this morning. Opening the BY I found what is my favorite post to date, penned by oldude above. You my friend and all the rest who have commented on this thread are the reason the BY is without a doubt the best forum in college sports.
You have all opened up putting your heart and thoughts on your sleeves expressing love and admiration for the best player in WBB. Thank you all for your posts and thoughts, like all of you I will be waiting with great anticipation on any word on the health of our MVP.

Reaction Score
Wish list
Good news from the MRI and Paige's return to the court as soon as it's safe for her to do so.
The rest of the Huskies filling her admittedly tough sneakers while she is on the bench.
Starting with Thursday night, let's "Win one for Buckets!"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom