Paige Bueckers, UConn have sights set on national title | The Boneyard

Paige Bueckers, UConn have sights set on national title

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Use www.outline.com to read this article.
Copy the article's address, go to www.outline.com, paste the article's address, click and read. This is an abstract of the full article. So if someone has access to The Athletic's full article, then please provide more info.

Re: Arizona game: "Evina Westbrook ... forced herself to watch it all — the announcer’s words, the bench reactions and her own play." “That was one of the most painful film sessions that I’ve had,” Westbrook says. “It was hard to watch us play like that knowing that’s not us, but at the same time (we) had to turn it into a positive, like, Ok, we got to live with it.

"Paige Bueckers has said she won’t stop thinking about it until her team wins a national championship. Perhaps even longer after that. Olivia Nelson-Ododa similarly thinks about the game often, especially during workouts. Like Westbrook, she knows looking at it is tough, but it’s necessary for growth."

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Most of the quotes I think I have seen but the one on Aaliyah (about the Americup) is pretty interesting and I think it is new

“It’s made her a little hungrier for the game,” Auriemma says. “She hardly got a chance to play at all, and I think that kind of made her see just how much time you have to put into this game, how hard you have to work to be at that kind of level. Since she’s been back, I’ve been really pleasantly surprised and happy with how much time she has spent on the court working on her game. She’s going to be better just because she’s a year older, and she’s going to be better because of the experience of practicing with those older kids all those times.”

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
and this about depth

“Everyone says, ‘It’s great, you have a lot of depth,’” he says. “Yeah, it’s great until it isn’t. So you have to hope you have a mature team and that they understand and accept you’re going to have five or six weeks before we start playing games to earn your role, whatever that role is going to be.”

Reaction Score
I think there's been every possible quote said about the final 4 loss. Again it's been said before after a final 4 loss, after the 2017 loss, 2018 loss, the 2019 sr team that was planning to avenge that loss to Notre Dame after falling short once again to that same team. Every team in the country has sights set on the ntl title, there are other teams who felt they coulda won it last season as well with South Carolina being a tip in from most likely beating Arz in a ntl title and they also have 2 srs who have one last shot to win the ntl title before graduating. At the end a poster put it best, will only know if they learned until the last week of April if they learned from the loss

Reaction Score
Sometimes it doesn't matter how much you learn or how much you want something. Breaks, circumstances or the opponent may just arrange for the outcome to simply not be what you wanted. Applies to life and basketball.

The outcome in of itself does not determine if you will have a successful life, career, or legacy. While winning is certainly nice, many put too much of an emphasis on "winning" vs effort and character. At the time of those losses over the past few years when the team came up short I was as disappointed/let down as anyone, but I am not going to judge someone's worth as a person and rip on them in a public forum because of their performance in a basketball game. I suspect these individuals are hard on themselves by the nature of who they are. They don't need our help.

Reaction Score
I believe UConn is going to destroy everyone they play this year - including the National Championship game. South Carolina, Stanford, and all the rest - bring it on. We have a number of "women scorned", who are seeking revenge. That is powerful stuff!

Reaction Score
I believe UConn is going to destroy everyone they play this year - including the National Championship game. South Carolina, Stanford, and all the rest - bring it on. We have a number of "women scorned", who are seeking revenge. That is powerful stuff!
I hope. But gotta think South Carolina has that exact mentality with what happened to them. SC, Stanford and Uconn are the teams to beat and I don’t know think any one of them is far above the rest.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Don't you think South Carolina feels just as scorned as UConn? They came even closer to playing in the NC game.

Reaction Score
Don't you think South Carolina feels just as scorned as UConn? They came even closer to playing in the NC game.
have said this before, South Carolina has of the best players in Wcbb who missed a bunny to pretty much win the ntl title. Not only that they added a future Wnba top 5 pick in Cardozo and have #2 3 4 recruits coming in. I think they're on a mission to right that wrong from last season and I won't be shocked if they are the #1 overall seed. A lot of who gets to the finals imo will depend on who avoids the 2-3 matchup because if Uconn is the #2 that means they will draw up a tough opponent like Stanford in final 4. Idk if Uconn can match that team esp considering their title pedigree. Again it's not impossible but this idea that Uconn is gonna blow everyone out is silly

Reaction Score
I hope. But gotta think South Carolina has that exact mentality with what happened to them. SC, Stanford and Uconn are the teams to beat and I don’t know think any one of them is far above the rest.

All three of the rivals for the crown have motivational tools. Stanford has their's now that the early polls are out so we should be reading "west coast bias". Defending champs that return as much usually get the top ranking in pre-season. I'm really looking forward to seeing Stanford play at Tenn and then at SCar 3 days later.

Reaction Score
have said this before, South Carolina has of the best players in Wcbb who missed a bunny to pretty much win the ntl title. Not only that they added a future Wnba top 5 pick in Cardozo and have #2 3 4 recruits coming in. I think they're on a mission to right that wrong from last season and I won't be shocked if they are the #1 overall seed. A lot of who gets to the finals imo will depend on who avoids the 2-3 matchup because if Uconn is the #2 that means they will draw up a tough opponent like Stanford in final 4. Idk if Uconn can match that team esp considering their title pedigree. Again it's not impossible but this idea that Uconn is gonna blow everyone out is silly
Cardoza did nothing against UConn after the first 5 minutes.

Reaction Score
what does that have to do with her being in SC? The Cuse hc is a jerk so I really don't care about that toxic environment and judging her play. If you don't think she can make an impact you are mistaken

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, missing a bunny to win a big game is becoming somewhat of an issue for one of the “best players in WCBB”! She is a very good post but is imo, overrated based on her stats to date. I do believe she could be a truly dominant player but she is going to have to bring it consistently in order to truly live up to that standard.

Reaction Score
love this post. I never thought of it like that for SC. Of course I've read of ton of articles about UConn's disappointment and motivation to win the whole thing, but definitely SC has every right to feel just as torn and hungry heading into this season. I think it's been mentioned in other threads but the pre-season top 3 teams (Stanford, SC, UConn) are all great. Talent wise, I think they are pretty much equal. I do think UConn has the best player in Paige, and the best seniors in ONO, Evina, CW, and Dorka.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
It’s an excellent article. If you are a regular and The Boneyard you will have seen many of the quotes before, but it is a very good compilation of the players, their abilities, and the way they will likely fit in to this year‘s roster. I’ve said this before but The Athletic is the only content I pay for on the Internet. They generally have some kind of sale going and at one dollar a month it is well worth it. Their coverage of UConn is very very good.

Reaction Score
what does that have to do with her being in SC? The Cuse hc is a jerk so I really don't care about that toxic environment and judging her play. If you don't think she can make an impact you are mistaken
Yes, her game that night (day, I forget) was not earth-shattering.Physically imposing, but we handled her pretty well.
Now...
Make her a year older and more mature, surround her with the current Gamecock's roster, have Dawn work with her for a few months and we might just have a problem dealing with the result.
Sort of Dorka's potential working against instead of for us.
That game in Greensboro will be VERY interesting....

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, missing a bunny to win a big game is becoming somewhat of an issue for one of the “best players in WCBB”! She is a very good post but is imo, overrated based on her stats to date. I do believe she could be a truly dominant player but she is going to have to bring it consistently in order to truly live up to that standard.
Yea I saw a gamecocks fan on general wbb posts video yesterday about workout Dawn yelling out too many missed layups last season we fixing it this season and having the team run up and down on the break

Reaction Score
No attack just saying.... :)
Golden rule of life: never underestimate your rivals. – Sid Waddell

Her impact in the future cannot be judged by her first five minutes vs UConn. The reigning Atlantic Coast Conference Freshman of the Year, Co-ACC Defensive Player of the Year and the highest-ranked recruit in Syracuse history (No. 5 in Class of 2020).
She will be a force to be reckoned with improved coaching and surrounding cast of assistance.
I do think our cast can be up to the challenge though!

Reaction Score
No attack just saying.... :)
Golden rule of life: never underestimate your rivals. – Sid Waddell

Her impact in the future cannot be judged by her first five minutes vs UConn. The reigning Atlantic Coast Conference Freshman of the Year, Co-ACC Defensive Player of the Year and the highest-ranked recruit in Syracuse history (No. 5 in Class of 2020).
She will be a force to be reckoned with improved coaching and surrounding cast of assistance.
I do think our cast can be up to the challenge though!

Juhasz was B1G all-conference as a sophomore and a Junior. Cardoso is a great weapon but is still raw. Juhasz has been playing in a tough conference for 3 years, Cardoso only one. I'll worry about 2023 a year from now. Right now, for UConn, Juhasz is the better fit.
McGuff is no prize as a coach. The Syracuse coach got his team to a recent FF. He may have been an ass but he knew how to coach.

Reaction Score
Juhasz was B1G all-conference as a sophomore and a Junior. Cardoso is a great weapon but is still raw. Juhasz has been playing in a tough conference for 3 years, Cardoso only one. I'll worry about 2023 a year from now. Right now, for UConn, Juhasz is the better fit.
McGuff is no prize as a coach. The Syracuse coach got his team to a recent FF. He may have been an ass but he knew how to coach.
Who was talking about Dorka?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom