Paige Bueckers trade mark nickname filed | The Boneyard

Paige Bueckers trade mark nickname filed

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So here’s a question. If ESPN is carrying a UConn WBB game, and Paige is lightning it up to the point where the play-by-play guy/gal gets excited and refers to her as “Paige Buckets,” can Paige sue the network for trademark infringement?

Just askin……..

Reaction Score
So here’s a question. If ESPN is carrying a UConn WBB game, and Paige is lightning it up to the point where the play-by-play guy/gal gets excited and refers to her as “Paige Buckets,” can Paige sue the network for trademark infringement?

Just askin……..
The correct response would be, "Thanks for the free advertising. See you next game."

If she sued them, some judge (or idiot magistrate, you decide) would say, "Well, nobody can use that name until I decide what's what. I'll get back to you in six months or so." Not only that, but where exactly is Paige going to get the money to sue ESPN? GoFundMe?

Then again, ESPN is losing money hand over fist, so they would likely work it out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Just askin……..
No at the beginning. But after they are #1 sellers in Amazon then you should ..... :p

Reaction Score
From Wall Street Journal

Bueckers has so much earning potential that she’s one of the few college athletes who’s signed with an agent—Lindsay Kagawa Colas, an executive vice president at the prominent agency Wasserman. Colas didn’t blink at the $1 million estimate.

Wasserman recently registered the trademark for “Paige Buckets,” and Colas said the firm would consider trademarking other terms related to Bueckers. Rather than chasing many one-off deals for her, Colas said she aims to reach agreements with a handful of elite brands who commit for Bueckers’ three remaining seasons of college eligibility.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Just askin……..
I think they just have to throw a dollar in the trademark infringement jar.

Reaction Score
Not a legal person so looked up the definition of trademark infringement:

<<Trademark infringement is the unauthorized use of a trademark or service mark on or in connection with goods and/or services in a manner that is likely to cause confusion, deception, or mistake about the source of the goods and/or services.

One common example of trademark infringement is where clothing manufacturers attach brand labels to generic items, attempting to have them “pass off” as authentic.>>

Unless I'm missing something, not sure how ESPN or anyone else would be guilty of trademark infringement by just saying "Paige Buckets". I would think they would have to be making money off the nickname somehow.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score

Just askin……..
I would think that she decided to register this trademark so everyone including ESPN CAN refer to her as Paige Buckets, and NOT to anyone else.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
On a serious note, I am assuming that Paige is getting advice from someone, and has perhaps hired an agent. So far her initial steps on NIL have been more preparatory than actually cashing in.

Paige is not out there trying to compete with the Olympics marketing machine and I doubt that we’ll see very much in the way of endorsements until basketball season roles around in November. It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds.

Reaction Score
On a serious note, I am assuming that Paige is getting advice from someone, and has perhaps hired an agent. So far her initial steps on NIL have been more preparatory than actually cashing in.

Paige is not out there trying to compete with the Olympics marketing machine and I doubt that we’ll see very much in the way of endorsements until basketball season roles around in November. It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds.
Please read post #17, above, as well as the WSJ article. She has very adequate representation.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Please read post #17, above, as well as the WSJ article. She has very adequate representation.
I am blocked from the WSJ article. Does the article specify who Paige is represented by?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom