Paige at Point Guard a la Caitlin | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Paige at Point Guard a la Caitlin

Reaction Score
Now you're talking! Expect that

Now you're talking! Expect the bit of blowback that you got. What posters forget is that as fans we are allowed to have whatever expectations for the team that we want to have. I agree with your perspective that it is about NC's at UConn.
To me, as much as I like Nika, Paige goes back to running the team from the point. Geno needed her scoring this past year. Got to give props to Geno (or not) for seeing that and making it happen.
I for one don't like the passing game. It seems to stall against stronger, better defensive teams. (final 4) I don't like Liv at the high post. She's ineffective there. I don't believe you put people in places they are ineffective.
One more point (no pun intended): can't you run the "point" from any position? Larry Bird- point forward (wing), Nikola Jokic- point center. What if Nika did the dirty work tasks that she is so good at- pushing the ball, guarding the opposing point + team D, rebounding at the point and Paige runs the team from a wing, with Azzi on the opposite wing?
The offense did not stall because of the passing game. It stalled because we didn’t have the shooters that would punish double teams and hedges etc. this year, with Azzi, Paige, Caroline Ducharme, and hopefully Saylor and improved shooting by CW, EW, Nika, AE, and Liv, we should be able to really punish any kind of help defense on the part of our opponents. I don’t think it is at all unreasonable to think we could have at least three players shooting 40% from three and hopefully a couple or three others at 36+%. If that turns out to be true we will be pretty tough for anyone to beat!

Reaction Score
Here is a thought...with great shooters coming in and with Paige’s fabulous talent it a must she has the ball 80% of the time a la Caitlin ....she will be able to create for herself through screens and penetration....dishing to the shooters when she is doubled or tripled.
Paige’s talent are such that she can dominate better from this option.
Here is an option
View attachment 66752
Paige is #1....CW 3....2 Azzi....4# Ododa...5 EW or AE
It is a great option

Yeah Paige is a wonderful talent and I can see the potential of her taking her skill set to a whole another level. So many options for next season.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
IMO Nika is not a good ball handler Nor is she quick afoot. She is an aggressive player and a pretty good passer. Does occasionally get steals, but is unable to guard quick players. If Azzi is the shooter that she demonstrates in her videos and able to able to shoot like that in college, then if I'm Geno, I start her over Nika and have Paige and Evina handle the ball handling responsibilities. Christyn can also handle the ball, but she should not be the primary ball handler.

If I'm Geno, I'm also telling Evina to quite deferring to her teammates especially in the first half. Too many times this year, Evina would get the majority of her points in the 2nd half.

I too think she is an excellent ball handler. Also disagree that she is not quick. I would say she is not fast (Like MoJeff) but she is quick and one of the main reasons people have gone by her is because she plays them very close. If she backs off a bit it won't happen as much. But as long as we have good post defenders I don't think Geno minds. Another reason she had lateral challenges was because she started out hurt and then rolled the ankle several times. Next year if she stays healthy and gets more experience she is going to become a much better defender. Don't expect her to lose her starting spot. Perhaps reduced minutes because of the incoming talent but Geno loves the blue collar type players.

Reaction Score
not going to happen..........Fudd shoots better sitting down then anybody else on the team does standing up...............well on second thought Ducharme might take that one.........:rolleyes:
Well...don't know about sitting down but Ducharme can beat Fudd when Fudd's wearing a boot.

Reaction Score
With all due disrespect, anyone that proposes a offensive scheme where one player possesses the ball 80% of the time is severely unqualified to comment on UCONN WBB.
Thanks....but you missed the point....let us say we agree to disagree....and Paige is not just anyone....
That is a disrespect to her not to me
E

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
With all due disrespect, anyone that proposes a offensive scheme where one player possesses the ball 80% of the time is severely unqualified to comment on UCONN WBB.
You know, it’s the off-season and someone has suggested a basketball topic for discussion. I think it’s great that people are presenting differing opinions so that Boneyarders can, you know, talk basketball a little longer. That’s why the board is here. No need to be so dismissive because someone has an opinion you don’t agree with.

Keep your head up, @gold2323. Not everyone here is so condescending

@Jordy

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
All the posts, that quickly tossed Nika on the bench with Azzie arriving. Regardless of how many times the coach has expressed his need for Nika on the floor as well as his history of having his point as the 4th-5th scoring option. Just enough to keep the defense honest.

I keep hearing Nika singing a little song in my head and the it goes something like this. . .

Azzie to the left of me. Page on my right. Aaliyah setting a screen in front of me. Here I am, stuck in the middle, who am I going to pass it to?

Just say N

Reaction Score
All the posts, that quickly tossed Nika on the bench with Azzie arriving. Regardless of how many times the coach has expressed his need for Nika on the floor as well as his history of having his point as the 4th-5th scoring option. Just enough to keep the defense honest.

I keep hearing Nika singing a little song in my head and the it goes something like this. . .

Azzie to the left of me. Page on my right. Aaliyah setting a screen in front of me. Here I am, stuck in the middle, who am I going to pass it to?

Just say N
I hear ya!
Who sits, Christyn or Liv? Are we big and tough enough? That's what keeps bringing us to a halt in the Final Four the last few years. Can we just outscore people? Seems to be ok until the FF.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Yes but it has to be run like the Stockton-Malone option....but the main point is that Paige must bring the ball down almost all possessions.
it is more defined in this setup I posted.
You don’t want your primary scorer expending energy by bringing the ball up court or having her in front of all 5 defenders.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
IMO Nika is not a good ball handler Nor is she quick afoot. She is an aggressive player and a pretty good passer. Does occasionally get steals, but is unable to guard quick players. If Azzi is the shooter that she demonstrates in her videos and able to able to shoot like that in college, then if I'm Geno, I start her over Nika and have Paige and Evina handle the ball handling responsibilities. Christyn can also handle the ball, but she should not be the primary ball handler.

If I'm Geno, I'm also telling Evina to quite deferring to her teammates especially in the first half. Too many times this year, Evina would get the majority of her points in the 2nd half.
Just a reminder about the Uconn career assist leader Moriah and her less than stellar freshman year:
39 games played .424/.266/.760 for 4.7 ppg, 69 assist/49 TO = 1.4 A/TO, 2 blocks, 52 steals, 64 rebounds in 677 minutes.
Nika
23 games played .381/.343/.727 for 4.9 ppg, 62 assist/44 TO = 1.4 A/TO, 4 blocks, 40 steals, 56 rebounds in 562 minutes

Best thing about most freshman is they come in the next year as sophomores! :eek: :cool:

Reaction Score
You don’t want your primary scorer expending energy by bringing the ball up court or having her in front of all 5 defenders.

I agree but Bueckers will not be the primary scorer next year. I expect her to split time at the point with Müle and pick up minutes at other positions.

Reaction Score
You know, it’s the off-season and someone has suggested a basketball topic for discussion. I think it’s great that people are presenting differing opinions so that Boneyarders can, you know, talk basketball a little longer. That’s why the board is here. No need to be so dismissive because someone has an opinion you don’t agree with.

Keep your head up, @gold2323. Not everyone here is so condescending

@Jordy
“Take the Prisoner downstairs”, he said condescendingly.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I agree but Bueckers will not be the primary scorer next year. I expect her to split time at the point with Müle and pick up minutes at other positions.
Agree with you whole heartedly. I think Paige will be more comfortable at point and especially on the break. In the open court she can work magic. But the end decision is with Geno what does he need more her trans-rational passing to find the open man or her other worldly scoring. (hyperbole intentional) What a problem for a coach

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom