Paige and the blanket extra year of eligibility.. | The Boneyard

Paige and the blanket extra year of eligibility..

Reaction Score
5 titles in a row? 4 with Azzi? People keep saying no college student with utilize it because they want to make money right away..it took me five years to get my Bachelor's and I wasn't an athlete. I took the minimum amount of credits each semester to be full-time and didn't take summer school..anyway my point is that I enjoyed the fifth year of school. I still look back and wish I could do it all over again! Aww to be young once..in hindsight nowadays, most people will work until the mid-60's anyway..even after a lucrative playing career. I've seen some wild ideas/questions on here and to me, this one isn't that far-fetched!

Reaction Score
Beside the money (and a boat load of endorsements if she wins 4NC), the top players want to play against the best and that is the WNBA. No real decision.
But then people questioned Azure and Megan for leaving after three years played and no natty. So if there's no decision then number of years played isn't a factor, yeah?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
But then people questioned Azure and Megan for leaving after three years played and no natty. So if there's no decision then number of years played isn't a factor, yeah?

Your implication (My interpretation) was Paige already had 4NC's in your scenario and her motivation was to get an unprecedented 5th. IMHO, that falls under nothing left to prove at the college level. I suppose (God Forbid), we did not get any NC's, she might think like Sabrina did and at least consider staying in college to get a NC. But to bring the point home, Sabrina has a sobering injury in Yr 1 of WNBA. Need to start your professional clock as soon as possible.

Reaction Score
Your implication (My interpretation) was Paige already had 4NC's in your scenario and her motivation was to get an unprecedented 5th. IMHO, that falls under nothing left to prove at the college level. I suppose (God Forbid), we did not get any NC's, she might think like Sabrina did and at least consider staying in college to get a NC. But to bring the point home, Sabrina has a sobering injury in Yr 1 of WNBA. Need to start your professional clock as soon as possible.
True, good points. I guess on my end there's a great deal of wishful thinking. Getting to play with Azzi for an extra year! If not Paige then maybe one of the other freshman might

Reaction Score
A tad early to be discussing this, ya think?
The blanket year was granted this year..so I think they'd have to decide by next year if they want to be a freshman again right? Or can they do it when they're a senior. I honestly have no idea. The pandemic messed everything up..as flight attendants say..contents may have shifted! ;)

Reaction Score
I’ll be happy if she wins 1 national championship in her four years at UConn. This team has a long long long way to go before I would consider them a contender for the National Championship.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
5 titles in a row?
It’s official...
E07E3D9C-3461-4CA5-816A-84CAFD68A13C.jpeg

Reaction Score
The blanket year was granted this year..so I think they'd have to decide by next year if they want to be a freshman again right? Or can they do it when they're a senior. I honestly have no idea. The pandemic messed everything up..as flight attendants say..contents may have shifted! ;)

They can decide anytime.

Reaction Score
Has Calipari ever had a 4th year senior at Kentucky? They should allow Kentucky Men a sixth year of eligibility.

(This is sarcasm by the way. There are some Boneyarders that do not possess a sarcasm detector.)

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Has Calipari ever had a 4th year senior at Kentucky? They should allow Kentucky Men a sixth year of eligibility.

(This is sarcasm by the way. There are some Boneyards that do not possess a sarcasm detector.)

to avoid playing for the Knicks, I would stay in school.

Reaction Score
Seriously, after spending 30 years in college athletics, I think all student-athletes should have a degree before they're eligible for the draft. Over the top thinking? Yes, it is. Professional sports careers are short and not everyone makes huge money. by the time they hit their 40's the end would certainly justify the degree. Its a tough world out there.

Reaction Score

(This is sarcasm by the way. There are some Boneyards that do not possess a sarcasm detector.)
How much do one of them detectors cost?

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Here's one qualifier: This does not feel like a real season. With nobody there, all the games feel like scrimmage games. And I feel like that about professional sports too. (Does anyone remember who won the World Series?) But these kids have been denied the experience of large crowds cheering them on. And we don't know that next year will be any better. For that reason, one might chose to stay an extra year, and enjoy the full college experience.

Reaction Score
Paige is in the advanced class. She's the prodigy writing symphonies. Do we want her studying trig when she needs Calculus II. UConn won NCs before her and UConn will win NCs after her. I personally want the virtuoso on the greatest stages. I want her playing Carnegie Hall.
Reminds me of something. Have you ever taken a job that you've already had? I've done it twice. Doesn't turn out well. You know too much. You need to be somewhere else.
BTW I hate the BY's talk about next year. Besides knowing the signees, let's focus on this year. More fun!
Sorry, had to chime in. I'll ignore henceforth.

Reaction Score
Here's one qualifier: This does not feel like a real season. With nobody there, all the games feel like scrimmage games. And I feel like that about professional sports too. (Does anyone remember who won the World Series?) But these kids have been denied the experience of large crowds cheering them on. And we don't know that next year will be any better. For that reason, one might chose to stay an extra year, and enjoy the full college experience.

Yes

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
The extra year of eligibility topic will ramp up as season nears end with outgoing seniors. It’s an intriguing situation for me especially for the athletes that know they won’t make a wnba team or wont play after college. If enough of them decide to take the extra year it’s going to make some fun teams with depth and experience. IMO it will affect the mid to low P5 teams and mid majors the most in a positive way. It’s still a way off but it will be intriguing.
There are already student athletes contemplating and excited for the extra year with social media posts and a couple from some top P5 teams.

Reaction Score
The extra year of eligibility topic will ramp up as season nears end with outgoing seniors. It’s an intriguing situation for me especially for the athletes that know they won’t make a wnba team or wont play after college. If enough of them decide to take the extra year it’s going to make some fun teams with depth and experience. IMO it will affect the mid to low P5 teams and mid majors the most in a positive way. It’s still a way off but it will be intriguing.
There are already student athletes contemplating and excited for the extra year with social media posts and a couple from some top P5 teams.
Nice job by you. I'm ok with that. Xtra year for seniors. Posters are right, they've missed out on a lot during the pandemic. Don't think we need to talk about current freshmen though, like was the origins of this thread.
What about 5th year seniors being allowed to transfer. I don't get that at all. I hope that doesn't happen in this case.

Reaction Score
I certainly don't know why anyone, athlete or otherwise, would want to stay in college for 5 years. I don't know about you guys (gals?) but after 4 years both me and my liver have had enough. :cool:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
What was the happiest day of your life? turning 21?, Getting married?, The birth of your children/grandchildren?, graduating from high school/college?, your discharge from the US Armed Forces? the first time you had sex?, ;) having your mother-in-law-finally move out? :eek: I'll bet some of our BY brethren have some interesting stories behind the happiest day of their lives.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom