Paige and Nika | The Boneyard

Paige and Nika

Reaction Score
Nice Article on Muhl and Paige. Whether Paige will emulate DT is hardly likely: The is and always will be only ONE DT or SUE.
In the coming 3 years let us not forget we have ONO whom I believe will be one of the best post defenders with the ability to score. An AA as a JR or Sr, that kid has talent and MOSTLY DESIRE. CW, is exceptional in attitude and abilities she, ONO, Paige, Muhl, Andrea, Megan and another tall forward or backup post---well, how limiting is the SKY??? One thing is certain: Uconn will be fun to watch for the next 5 years.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I believe Paige and Nika can thrive together in UConn's open and fluid system. Besides, they're not likely to be on the court together that much, it least initially, in 2020/21 where a starting lineup of Meg (Sr.), CW (Jr.), ONO (Jr.), Aubrey (So.) and Paige (Fr.) might garner the most minutes as a unit.

Of course, I'm just speculating and a lot could, and probably will, change in the next 18 months.

Reaction Score
I dislike the whole "she is the next " thing. Maya wasn't the next DT, she was Maya the Great. There will never be a Maya 2. Nor another Stewart. But the first time I watched Bueckers play in a game the way she moved and player reminded me of DT. It was obvious that despite the offense running through, over and around her she wasn't taking many shots, seemingly enjoying finding open teammates. That, and the way she was animated, laughing, filled with confidence. That carried over to this season and last summer at the U17's. This past HS season she showed me something in a big game against another undefeated team. While talented, her team mates include a freshman starter at post and an 8th grader being first off the bench. Only one senior. So the team got a case of nerves in the 1st half and trailed. They came out in the second half and it was "clear out, I'm going to work" for Bueckers as she sliced for layups, hit a couple pull up jumpers, and a couple of 3's, essentially carrying her jittery team mates to the win. The rest of the season it was back to Bueckers setting up the defense and finding teammates, who played fearlessly in the state tournament.

Oh, and unlike DT, she actually plays some defense.

From the article:
Her confidence and panache will make her a fan favorite almost as soon as she arrives on campus.

She looks 14 and plays like she's 24.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
DT could rebound though. :cool:

Nika looks even younger.

Reaction Score
If Azzi stays healthy, she can go to any college she wants, play the position she wants and start the minute she gets there.

Exactly. No really great player is ever going to be intimidated by who else is there.

Reaction Score
Sounds like a heck of a combination with lots of potential with lots of opportunities. I hope that they can make layups and free throws.

Reaction Score
All I know is, having watched Paige play pretty since grade school; ladies and gentlemen, we will not be disappointed. If she can handle the expectations and standards of UConn basketball, not get homesick, and Coach, she is going to be something special for the program. Her work ethic has been incredible!!

Reaction Score
I dislike the whole "she is the next " thing. Maya wasn't the next DT, she was Maya the Great. There will never be a Maya 2. Nor another Stewart. But the first time I watched Bueckers play in a game the way she moved and player reminded me of DT. It was obvious that despite the offense running through, over and around her she wasn't taking many shots, seemingly enjoying finding open teammates. That, and the way she was animated, laughing, filled with confidence. That carried over to this season and last summer at the U17's. This past HS season she showed me something in a big game against another undefeated team. While talented, her team mates include a freshman starter at post and an 8th grader being first off the bench. Only one senior. So the team got a case of nerves in the 1st half and trailed. They came out in the second half and it was "clear out, I'm going to work" for Bueckers as she sliced for layups, hit a couple pull up jumpers, and a couple of 3's, essentially carrying her jittery team mates to the win. The rest of the season it was back to Bueckers setting up the defense and finding teammates, who played fearlessly in the state tournament.

Excellent points!! Paige just knows when to assert herself more in a game. She just has that ability to sense when it is time to go into that "Mamba" mode. Her defense has never been an issue so we are getting a nice backcourt addition. Plus I love the fact that she is unselfish and has that solid poised about herself. Never rattled under pressure. Granted it is high school. But her years of playing basketball against the best of the best, U16 and U17, has only helped to boost her confidence and skills.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom