Paige and Nika - Shooting after game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Paige and Nika - Shooting after game

Reaction Score
I don't see the problem with Olivia and Aaliyah playing at the same time. In fact, I think that is the optimal lineup, with Anna and/or Aubrey coming off the bench. Just because other Big East teams don't have two bigs doesn't mean that UConn will be at a disadvantage if they play with two bigs. Olivia and Aaliyah are both agile and quick enough to guard on the perimeter, unlike some bigs that UConn has had in the past (Natalie Butler, Kyla Irwin, Kaili McLaren, Stef Dolson). It would set up high-low action and give UConn a huge advantage on the boards.

Perhaps the reason why Geno is reluctant to do that is that he is worried about their tendency to foul. If so, I can understand -- if both of them have two fouls after the first quarter, then UConn has to play small ball for a long period of time. But if they can get that problem under control, then two bigs seems to me like the right approach for UConn.

I'm with you in regards to the Big East. But for me-- I think they can put any decent lineup out there. With that said I would expect one or two games this year - regardless of lineup-- to be a nail-biter.

But in regards to the big lineup- I think they (both) cover the perimeter "mediocre." Not bad but not good either imo. One player can be masked-- but both -- then add in Paige - just not a stellar defense giving up too much potentially on the perimeter. And maybe AMak isn't so stellar either if she is playing quick wings.

Also, I think it's as you point out - their tendency to foul which is why I say "mediocre." Early in the 2nd quarter just vs Creighton- who is not a top 20 team- Liv had two fouls due to her mediocre perimeter defense, and Edwards just had an incidental bump on a perimeter player. This early they picked up 3 perimeter fouls vs a very mediocre team. I can expect that vs a top ten team but possibly sooner. Further, it's just too easy to put too many plays in the refs hands if they are going against crafty guards on a pick-n-roll that know how to sell being bumped..

And while I think they can still run effective with both on the floor - I think their fastbtreak can become devastating if just one is on the floor vice 2. All the things you say are true - yet adding up the negatives as a total-- it just isn't worth the risk imo along with I don't think their defense will be any better overall and we become a slower team when I feel they should look to be a fast team highlighting more skill with just one big on the floor. I think with Paige and their other guards/wings -- that style of play is best.

Reaction Score
Having watched Stanford IMO they better
have both of them ready to play together, some freaky long bods and arms out west

Or- by end of season force them to match up to UCONN's quickness/speed and skill.

Reaction Score
As I've said before I watched a ton of paige games. I noticed that when her shot wasn't falling she made up for it in othr ways - manly creative passing or drives. Probably why she passed up that end of quarter shot she passed up. She will learn what Geno wants and he will learn how to read her. It will seem to just work out in the end.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1
Top Bottom