Paige and Nika - Shooting after game | The Boneyard

Paige and Nika - Shooting after game

Reaction Score
Absolutely love this. We already knew Paige was special, and this is what the great ones do. Putting in the extra work. Love that Nika is with her too being injured and all.

20201217_220342.jpg

Reaction Score
Nice! I love stuff like this.
I think I saw her youth a tad tonight. She got perturbed with the turnovers and the missed shots.
I want her to be less worried about single plays and just be ready for the next play or next shot. She’ll do that. No doubt. Just had an “ok” night tonight.
I think she’s figuring out when she should shoot on her new team. She’s not a scorer like Maya or Stevie. She also a playmaker, more like Diana.
I bet she’ll get it and she’ll get it quick.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Nice! I love stuff like this.
I think I saw her youth a tad tonight. She got perturbed with the turnovers and the missed shots.
I want her to be less worried about single plays and just be ready for the next play or next shot. She’ll do that. No doubt. Just had an “ok” night tonight.
I think she’s figuring out when she should shoot on her new team. She’s not a scorer like Maya or Stevie. She also a playmaker, more like Diana.
I bet she’ll get it and she’ll get it quick.
Good observations. The traveling needs to be fixed rather than assuming the refs missed it.

Reaction Score
This team has a nice 7 player rotation. There is the possibility that Nika can get healthy enough to be a contributor and Mir get out of the doghouse. But even if they don't - we have

1 finesse center and 1 power center.
1- skilled stretch Power Forward, and 1 very athletic power forward.
4 wings (Yes Paige can play wing vs small teams - can play off the ball as well as a sg) of which two are pg's.

I don't think they can ever have a set lineup of both Liv and Edwards but certainly in one game they cna do it if other team has two big very good players.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I said in the chat that I think Paige was a little thrown off by Geno insisting that she shoot more. Once her early shots were all short I think her whole game went south. She's a smart kid. She'll figure out a nice balance. I for one am very, very happy that those early games with Louisville and MSS were cancelled. This yyoung team still has a lot to figure out on the court.

Reaction Score
I can't wait for the day they take that ugly brown color off the court.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I don't understand why anyone would be surprised or disappointed at the way Paige played today. She will not be razor sharp every game. What UConn freshman player has? Expectations should be more realistic for her and the other freshmen. There will be some games in which she will not play well. She may even get benched sometime. However, I believe she will have a lot more success than struggles.

Reaction Score
I said in the chat that I think Paige was a little thrown off by Geno insisting that she shoot more. Once her early shots were all short I think her whole game went south. She's a smart kid. She'll figure out a nice balance. I for one am very, very happy that those early games with Louisville and MSS were cancelled. This yyoung team still has a lot to figure out on the court.

Good point and one I thought of while watching the game. Then again, no one is going to keep shooting 76%.

Reaction Score

Not me! I am a firm believer in playing ANYBODY, ANYTIME, ANYWHERE, the only way you get better is by playing better competition.

Reaction Score
Good point and one I thought of while watching the game. Then again, no one is going to keep shooting 76%.

I agree, Geno's demands might have thrown her off, rather than letting the game come to her, maybe forcing some shots. It's still early; She's a point guard, doing what the PG is supposed to do, finding the open players, then taking her opportunities when they appear. Paige knows she can't be a gunner and keep the rest happy.

Reaction Score
Good observations. The traveling needs to be fixed rather than assuming the refs missed it.
There were lots of travel calls on Anna as well...and Nika when she played. Also, I think Olivia drew one or two. Maybe Edwards, as well. What a minute? I think they need some team drills on
" taking that first step."

Reaction Score
"Do it again. Again. Again. Again. Again..." - some of you will get the sports movie reference.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I don't think they can ever have a set lineup of both Liv and Edwards but certainly in one game they cna do it if other team has two big very good players.
I don't see the problem with Olivia and Aaliyah playing at the same time. In fact, I think that is the optimal lineup, with Anna and/or Aubrey coming off the bench. Just because other Big East teams don't have two bigs doesn't mean that UConn will be at a disadvantage if they play with two bigs. Olivia and Aaliyah are both agile and quick enough to guard on the perimeter, unlike some bigs that UConn has had in the past (Natalie Butler, Kyla Irwin, Kaili McLaren, Stef Dolson). It would set up high-low action and give UConn a huge advantage on the boards.

Perhaps the reason why Geno is reluctant to do that is that he is worried about their tendency to foul. If so, I can understand -- if both of them have two fouls after the first quarter, then UConn has to play small ball for a long period of time. But if they can get that problem under control, then two bigs seems to me like the right approach for UConn.

Reaction Score
I don't see the problem with Olivia and Aaliyah playing at the same time. In fact, I think that is the optimal lineup, with Anna and/or Aubrey coming off the bench. Just because other Big East teams don't have two bigs doesn't mean that UConn will be at a disadvantage if they play with two bigs. Olivia and Aaliyah are both agile and quick enough to guard on the perimeter, unlike some bigs that UConn has had in the past (Natalie Butler, Kyla Irwin, Kaili McLaren, Stef Dolson). It would set up high-low action and give UConn a huge advantage on the boards.

Perhaps the reason why Geno is reluctant to do that is that he is worried about their tendency to foul. If so, I can understand -- if both of them have two fouls after the first quarter, then UConn has to play small ball for a long period of time. But if they can get that problem under control, then two bigs seems to me like the right approach for UConn.
100%
Here's a "glass half full" thought about fouls. That's 10 fouls and Aaliyah's fouls are worth more. (Ha Ha)
Another point: they are both excellent at running the floor. Could they beat Anna and/or Evina in practice sprints?

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
This team has a nice 7 player rotation. There is the possibility that Nika can get healthy enough to be a contributor and Mir get out of the doghouse. But even if they don't - we have

1 finesse center and 1 power center.
1- skilled stretch Power Forward, and 1 very athletic power forward.
4 wings (Yes Paige can play wing vs small teams - can play off the ball as well as a sg) of which two are pg's.

Having watched Stanford IMO they better
have both of them ready to play together, some freaky long bods and arms out west

Reaction Score

It would be interesting for sure, but I also thought right away about the fouling concerns.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why anyone would be surprised or disappointed at the way Paige played today. She will not be razor sharp every game. What UConn freshman player has? Expectations should be more realistic for her and the other freshmen. There will be some games in which she will not play well. She may even get benched sometime. However, I believe she will have a lot more success than struggles.

People need to think back to Stewie's freshman year. She was not the player we all remember...........until the tournament. Then she washed away the inconsistency.

Reaction Score
"Do it again. Again. Again. Again. Again..." - some of you will get the sports movie reference.

Love the Christmas scene where they start busting Brooks’ chops with “again”....

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I stumbled into her "movie" yesterday @JordyG and was underwhelmed by the talent they attracted. The crew was having a great time though and in our Covid year that is a blessing. Olivia's face mask was certainly precisely applied too.
'

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom