Package store conversation... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Package store conversation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
So I went to the local packie to stock up on beverages for Saturday's game. As I'm looking at the display rack, this guy next to me say that there are too many choices. I replied that I'm going to the UConn-Navy game & was looking for Clipper City which is brewed in Baltimore. The gent retorts that he is both a UConn grad & a Navy vet & that he'd be rooting for the Middies. I thanked him for his service & walked away with my beer in hand. Nothing else to say.
Only a navy guy could be overwhelmed by the number of beers in a packie. Go Army!

Reaction Score
No judging!
Red_White___Blue_Flat_Top_Steel_Can_Pabst_Brewing_Wisconsi.jpg
We used to pool our coins together in hs and college to buy that stuff...brings back some GREAT memories!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Well I'll give it in reverse. Coming up to UConn from living in NJ my whole life I had never heard the term Package Store. A buddy I met the first few days was older and asked if I needed anything from the package store. No crap, but the first thought in my mind was, "Why is he going to a Staples on a Friday night?" He must have noticed my perplexed look and clarified with saying, do you want any booze for tonight.

Since coming up here in '99 Package store has become ingrained in my terminology. When I go back to visit family and ask what anyone needs at the package store I am quickly corrected by my dad that "it's a god d%#n liquor store"!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Churchill makes it sound like it's a "bad" tradition.

traditions-drunk-sailors-tradition-demotivational-poster-1283194325.jpg

c1X92Hr.jpg

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
No judging!
Red_White___Blue_Flat_Top_Steel_Can_Pabst_Brewing_Wisconsi.jpg
LMFAO

I remember those, my senior year in college, 34 years ago (my God has time flown) we could get a case for six dollars and change (plus tax & deposit). It took at least three or four before you didn't mind the taste.

Reaction Score
LMFAO

I remember those, my senior year in college, 34 years ago (my God has time flown) we could get a case for six dollars and change (plus tax & deposit). It took at least three or four before you didn't mind the taste.

Yup... Pauper of Beers early 80's!

Reaction Score
After having traveled around the country I often say we're like several countries with different dialects. You really have to understand the language of your surroundings. Years ago I visited a buddy in Cincinnati and he said "lets go to the pony keg". Where? That's what they call package stores. It's like learning a foreign language. I grew up calling long sandwiches grinders, but when I moved to Philly they didn't knew what I meant. There they were hoagies. I came back to New London and asked for a hoagie and got blank stares.

Reaction Score
I don't know but Rochester was my first experience with a Brew-thru. No need to get out of car. Drive in to the garage, pop the trunk, hand over some cash and off you go (after they close the trunk of course).
They got them here in Florida...a big chain store here was called 'Beverage Castle', most of the stores are now other uses...(one is a church, one is an auto repair shop), but it is still around...

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
It's a liquor store in the rest of the country. Package stores, apizza and grinders...only in Conn. Three things that make Conn. unique. We're right, and the rest of the country is wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom