Package store conversation... | The Boneyard

Package store conversation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So I went to the local packie to stock up on beverages for Saturday's game. As I'm looking at the display rack, this guy next to me say that there are too many choices. I replied that I'm going to the UConn-Navy game & was looking for Clipper City which is brewed in Baltimore. The gent retorts that he is both a UConn grad & a Navy vet & that he'd be rooting for the Middies. I thanked him for his service & walked away with my beer in hand. Nothing else to say.

Reaction Score
When I was in, I don't remember anyone giving a crap about Navy. I was enlisted so didn't run in the circles of those who may have gone to the academy. Really though among the enlisted... Almost none of them have gone to college yet and the vast majority identify with their hometown team. I starkly remember rabid husked, sooner, and psu fans. Never anyone for Navy.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Any chance of the East Hartford firemen on this board maybe being able to 'buzz' the Navy hotel every hour on the hour, overnight tonight, with sirens blaring?

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Anyone know the Army fight song??? That would surely annoy the crap out of them.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Dagnabbit! When I saw the title of this post, I really was hoping it would be another "inside info" thread, akin to the car wash!
Here you go:

So while I was in the package store I see a guy next to me wearing ratty Ohio St tee shirt. He's talking on cell phone. There was nothing to do so I kind of eaves dropped on his call. He said he was going to be late for the conference because his car was in the shop and needed realignment. He then said "sure UConn" (or perhaps "sure you can" it was hard to tell). In any event he was concerned about the cost of the repair because he had been told that it was B1G job. Obviously, this guy is a key insider and he knows Delany's plans. I think it is safe to assume that that there will be an announcement that we're joining the B1G by mid October.

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
So I went to the local packie to stock up on beverages for Saturday's game. As I'm looking at the display rack, this guy next to me say that there are too many choices. I replied that I'm going to the UConn-Navy game & was looking for Clipper City which is brewed in Baltimore. The gent retorts that he is both a UConn grad & a Navy vet & that he'd be rooting for the Middies. I thanked him for his service & walked away with my beer in hand. Nothing else to say.

This is the first time I have heard the term "packie", since I was at UConn. That was definitely not a Fairfield County term.

Reaction Score
"Packie" has a fairly defined border. Clearly is extinguished at the Berkshire County (MA) & Columbia County (NY) line. Clearly is not used in Vermont north of Bennington-Brattleboro arc. Clearly is not something that extends WEST of the Housatonic in Connecticut.

Reaction Score
This is the first time I have heard the term "packie", since I was at UConn. That was definitely not a Fairfield County term.
Always found it bizarre people referred to packies by any name other than package store. Now, for a really B1G UCONN packie.

Reaction Score
#1 - I thought this was gonna be another one of those "BEST in CT" threads ... (to which I would have responded Table & Vine in West Springfield ;))

#2 - My first weekend at college in Rochester NY I asked where the nearest Packy was ..... nobody knew what I was talking about. When I explained what it was, they asked why it was called a package store. I thought about it and said "Because you can get the whole package in 1 store ........ no need to make 2 stops like you Western New York suckers. Who the hell decided you need to sell beer and liquor in separate stores????

Reaction Score
"Packie" has a fairly defined border. Clearly is extinguished at the Berkshire County (MA) & Columbia County (NY) line. Clearly is not used in Vermont north of Bennington-Brattleboro arc. Clearly is not something that extends WEST of the Housatonic in Connecticut.
Well there you go. Southington, the epicenter of a linguistic anomaly. (Just saw a shot at using my extensive vocabulary.);)

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
From the source of undisputed truth, Wikipedia, packy or packie is slang for "package store", originating in Massachusetts. Hmm, makes me wonder where the term "slang" originates from. :confused:

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
#2 - My first weekend at college in Rochester NY I asked where the nearest Packy was ..... nobody knew what I was talking about. When I explained what it was, they asked why it was called a package store. I thought about it and said "Because you can get the whole package in 1 store ... no need to make 2 stops like you Western New York suckers. Who the hell decided you need to sell beer and liquor in separate stores????
I always assumed that it was a simple euphemism because they give it to you in a brown paper bag and it looks like a package.

"Mommy, where's daddy going?"
"Oh honey, he's just going to get a package from the package store."

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
#1 - I thought this was gonna be another one of those "BEST in CT" threads ... (to which I would have responded Table & Vine in West Springfield ;))

#2 - My first weekend at college in Rochester NY I asked where the nearest Packy was ..... nobody knew what I was talking about. When I explained what it was, they asked why it was called a package store. I thought about it and said "Because you can get the whole package in 1 store ... no need to make 2 stops like you Western New York suckers. Who the hell decided you need to sell beer and liquor in separate stores????

I don't know but Rochester was my first experience with a Brew-thru. No need to get out of car. Drive in to the garage, pop the trunk, hand over some cash and off you go (after they close the trunk of course).

Reaction Score
I don't know but Rochester was my first experience with a Brew-thru. No need to get out of car. Drive in to the garage, pop the trunk, hand over some cash and off you go (after they close the trunk of course).

Yes! ... I know it well! Corner of Brighton Henrietta Town Line Road and 15! 2 cases of Genny Light (don't judge me ... we've all been there before) for $20! It wasn't until my senior year that I discovered "Beers of the World" further east on Jefferson Road!

Reaction Score
2 cases of Genny Light (don't judge me ... we've all been there before) for $20!

No judging!
Red_White___Blue_Flat_Top_Steel_Can_Pabst_Brewing_Wisconsi.jpg

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yes! ... I know it well! Corner of Brighton Henrietta Town Line Road and 15! 2 cases of Genny Light (don't judge me ... we've all been there before) for $20! It wasn't until my senior year that I discovered "Beers of the World" further east on Jefferson Road!

Yep. I do believe at one point we returned about $100 worth of returnables to the Brew-thru. It was some ungodly number of trash bags filled with empty cans. We used one of the cleaning lady's closets to store them until we had enough to fill 2-3 truck beds with empties.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Back to your point, as a Navy vet and UConn fan, I'm rooting for the Huskies. My Mom (the UConn grad who wore the 'Nova sweater to the opening game) is going tomorrow with my dad who is a Navy vet. He's rooting for Navy, she's rooting for UConn. I told her to wear a Navy sweater to bring UConn good luck.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Wrong my friend. In Shelton, when I was coming up, we went to the packie prior to hitting the ripper (valley-speak for a party).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom