PAC12: More Revenue Than B1G | The Boneyard

PAC12: More Revenue Than B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
In the new world of collegiate sports that we live in where it seems that this type of stuff matters more than championships, the PAC12 appears to be the P5 "Champion" of 2013.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ords-more-revenue-than-sec-big-ten-in-2012-13

I'm sure this will change once the B1G integrates Rutgers and Maryland into their fold (and their large markets). Again, everyone in lives in the northeast knows that college basketball is the undisputed King of College Sports from its Big East days and there is only one basketball King of the northeast. Ironically, that King is still looking for a castle.

Reaction Score
It's getting harder and harder to compare these figures between conferences. In the Pac 12's instance since they fully own the Pac 12 network so they'll be reporting gross revenue from the Pac-12 network before expenses are factored in - other conferences will generally not take this approach since they either don't own the network (B12, ACC, SEC) or it's a jointly owned separate entity (Big Ten)

Reaction Score
And giving the B1G more reasons to penetrate New England.
I hope you are right, but I am not sure about that. If the B1G breaks the bank in TV negotiations without UConn in the fold, it becomes that much more difficult for UConn to add value. Just keep hoping an invitation comes before those TV negotiations.

Dooley

Reaction Score
The P5 conferences are in fact competing for cash titles. This news will hurt some egos in the B1G (and other conferences) and might spark some action. The PAC is a cash magnet because they have very little competition out west. Here in the east, the race is on between the ACC and B1G to capture big eastern TV markets. The SEC waits for right fits because it can but they have a new network and a VERY weak winter lineup to air.

We all know that the only way for conferences to make more money is to expand markets and demographics. I wouldn't be at all shocked to see the SEC lurk in the ACC weeds until a ruling on the Maryland lawsuit (and exit fee) is made and then pounce on a few ACC/Big12 schools. SEC football is king but the conference itself consists of relatively small markets. As I always say, sports are cyclical and there will be a day that SEC football will be down (although it's hard to imagine right now). If there is ever a conference that needs to start thinking about markets and sports (read: TV content) other than football, it's the SEC. A big move by the SEC would be great news for UCONN as some seats at the P5 table will surely open and need to be filled to protect the cash they have.

Reaction Score
I hope you are right, but I am not sure about that. If the B1G breaks the bank in TV negotiations without UConn in the fold, it becomes that much more difficult for UConn to add value. Just keep hoping an invitation comes before those TV negotiations.
This market is way too valuable in every way to be left out. Even if the B1G breaks the bank, we'd STILL add value.

Dooley

Reaction Score
These conferences are competing against each other for dollars. It's like their litmus test to evaluate their worthiness to remain in the P5 structure. Report a revenue number that pales in comparison to the PAC and egos get hurt and insecurities arise.

It doesn't matter if the B1G or PAC or SEC break the bank, all of these conferences are always going to explore what can add revenue or otherwise risk being poached by other P5 conferences. Right now, the two conferences on the low-end of the P5 revenue pole are the ACC and B12. Right now, the easiest-to-add schools out there that provide the most value are UCONN and BYU (I don't include ND because I have no idea if they've signed an ACC GOR or what kind of exit penalties exist if they decide to bolt the part-time membership agreement that they have with the ACC). The deregulation ruling might help BYU and UCONN if conferences don't need an even level of schools to field a championship game. Once some of this dust settles with unionization/player benefits, deregulation, and player images/likeness, it will spurn some CR action.

Reaction Score
The report is kind of misleading...it is REVENUE (gross).

Unlike the SEC, the PAC 12 pays all expenses for its network...the actual payout for the PAC 12 programs, after expenses, was $19.8 million per...

Not a huge figure...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Big Ten pays out more than the PAC12

It's Big Ten ($26M-ish), SEC ($22-ish), Big 12 ($21M (just Tier 1/2), Pac 12 ($20M) and ACC ($16/17M).

The Big 10 and SEC will take off like rockets from here, though.

Reaction Score
"
Last year, after the additions of Syracuse and Pittsburgh, the ACC restructured its TV contract with ESPN to a reported 15-year, $3.6 billion agreement. Each school was set to make an average of about $17.1 million per year over the length of the contract.

When the ACC added Notre Dame as a member in all sports except football and ice hockey, the conference re-negotiated its TV contract, and schools are now reportedly earning an average of more than $20 million per year through 2026-2027, when the deal with ESPN expires."

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
ESPN didn't add $42M a year to the ACC's contract because of two or three Notre Dame games annually.

The average over the next 13 years will be >19.0M.

Reaction Score
Yeah...greater then $19 million....that could be $20 million, 21 million...42 million...

But it is a little over $20 million according to numerous links....

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yeah...greater then $19 million....that could be $20 million, 21 million...42 million...

But it is a little over $20 million according to numerous links....

Good lord.

It's under $20M based on what the conference itself has distributed to the membership.

Through 26-27, the average will be under $19M. This year, I believe it is under $17M.

Unlike the Big Ten, Big 12, SEC and Pac-12, the ACC's revenue is tied to a stake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom