PAC12 & Big 12 playing footsies… | Page 2 | The Boneyard

PAC12 & Big 12 playing footsies…

Reaction Score
why doesnt it matter? the teams that dont break away to form their own division (which will certainly not include UConn) will still be playing football, so how are they going to organize? are you saying everyone but the 30 teams invited to division 4 or whatever will opt to go independent rather than be associated with a conference?

i dont mean conferences as the term is used today. maybe the GORs would only apply to 1st tier rights and the schools would retain 2nd and 3rd tier for independent subscription services.
I mean that aside feom being in the SEC, I’m not sure it matters where you are right now. The B1G will struggle to stay relevant against the SEC unless the migration of people to the south stops.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
In 15 years none of this will matter. UConn needs to restore Huskymania and be prepared to get its own subscribers. We have two big issues, winning football games and finding a prodigy to follow Geno on the women’s side. The women are worth a ton of money in terms of subscriptions. Their following in effect makes CT a “bigger” state. They bring a large group of fans that no other state has. They bring $ in terms of subscribers.
I think this is a bigger concern than many in realignment want to think about. I'm not saying that WBB carries any weight currently in the realignment world....however, in the new streaming world, where value is in subscribers, keeping the WBB program at its current high level, is extremely important. The WBB team has a massive following and their fan are willing to go to whatever lengths to watch their games. They were signing up and learning how to use ESPN+. Heck, SNY paid $1 million to broadcast their games?! What other WBB program has that?? Making sure there is a successor to Geno is vital. UConn needs to show they have a massive fan base willing to subscribe to whatever streaming service is necessary to watch UConn games. WBB has a massive following and keeping it at it's high level is important and I can't see Geno being around in about 5-7 years...:(

Reaction Score
Dawson said ESPN will remain aggressive about expanding programming opportunities for women's sports. Thompson said that makes sense.

“For women’s sports, there is lots and lots and lots of room for lots and lots and lots of growth," he said. "If I were looking to invest in a genre of futures of American entertainment, women’s sports would be close to the top of my list.”

Article linked:

Reaction Score

I agree on Kansas but adding a proven. Brand like OSU plus a Texas. School.
Much of West Texas is closer to Tucson than to Dallas.
I could see
the benifit to adding.
KU
OSU?
TT
and maybe Baylor but will those school abandon

TCU
KSU
ISU
Go to the AAC
If the Big 12 wants to stay together than than adding Or. merging with the AAC
If The ACC was smart adding UConn
and WVA is logical as you could be.
but Since UConn’s not a player WVA and Cinncy or another Eastern or central AAC team.
BYU already recruits AZ heavily they pretty much own some 5A powers
I doubt the AZ schools want to make them stronger

Reaction Score
We’ve gone from footsies to jettisoning the Big12 @ the curb and moving straight to a ménage à trois!

-> While the specifics on how a scheduling pact might work remain unclear, sources in the three conferences suggest the larger goal is alignment so that the Pac-12, Big Ten and ACC can work and vote together on major issues such as College Football Playoff expansion and upcoming NCAA governance changes.

“This is their shot right back at the SEC,” one athletic director said.

All three leagues and their relatively new commissioners are feeling some pressure to respond to the SEC’s aggression after the conference added Texas and Oklahoma as new members starting in 2025. None of the three have expressed serious interest in raiding what’s left of the Big 12, so working together is a logical next step and appears to be the likely outcome. <-

… and then there were four.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Big time athletics aren't college.
May not seem that way, but they still are. What other country aligns colleges based on the performances of athletic departments?

The UAA in D3 is the most spread out of all conferences but that is because it involves elite academic institutions, such as the University of Chicago.

Reaction Score
why/how would all the playoff games have been giftwrapped to espn?
ESPN owns the rights to the playoffs for another 5 years. If the conferences voted to expand the playoffs before then, ESPN had the rights to the extra games. Since the OU/Texas thing was leaked early, there is a school of thought that ESPN was going to announce that after the expansion had been voted on. Now that the cat‘s out of the bag that ESPN was setting the SEC for payday with expansion, the conferences can simply wait until the contract is dead and take it to open market.

Reaction Score
ESPN owns the rights to the playoffs for another 5 years. If the conferences voted to expand the playoffs before then, ESPN had the rights to the extra games. Since the OU/Texas thing was leaked early, there is a school of thought that ESPN was going to announce that after the expansion had been voted on. Now that the cat‘s out of the bag that ESPN was setting the SEC for payday with expansion, the conferences can simply wait until the contract is dead and take it to open market.
Lets see if they can stick together long enough for that to happen. Or at least until Tuesday.

Reaction Score
Pooling their media rights could deliver a huge payday to the ACC, B1G & PAC 12. That’s 40 teams encompassing the entire east coast, mid-west and the west coast. The scheduling content they could produce would be very valuable. USC vs Clemson, tOSU vs FSU, Oregon vs Michigan, UCLA vs Miami, etc. ND would join the ACC under this arrangement.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

Wonder what this does to scheduling games against us...sounds like it could really impact our games.

This was the part that was the biggest OUCH for the Big 12....

Is the Big 12 included in this at all?
According to Olson, no.

Texas and Oklahoma accepted invitations to join the SEC last month, a move that will take place starting in 2025. Commissioner Bob Bowlsby and the Big 12 — which will be down to eight teams once Texas and Oklahoma leave — didn’t discuss this alliance with Big 12 athletic directors on a conference call on Friday.

The other three leagues, per the report, have not “expressed serious interest in raiding what’s left” of the Big 12, either.

Should the alliance between the ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 form, it sounds like the Big 12 won’t be invited in. That could put Bowlsby and his eight remaining schools in a very difficult position.

Reaction Score
I would think that the Big 12 would add UCF, USF, Houston, SMU, BYU, Boise St., Cincinnati & Memphis. Get as many good football programs as possible and as wide of a footprint as possible to attract TV money.

Reaction Score
May not seem that way, but they still are. What other country aligns colleges based on the performances of athletic departments?

The UAA in D3 is the most spread out of all conferences but that is because it involves elite academic institutions, such as the University of Chicago.

Big time....D3 actually has athletes who are scholar/athletes.

Top 10 programs...the football programs, are separate from the average college student..

Byt, Hey...we could lump the Top 20 National Public Universities into a conference....have to leave out some of the Cal/s (IIrvine, Davis, etc)

UCLA, Cal, Michigan, Virginia, UNC, Florida, GT, Texas, Wisconsin, Georgia Tech, Illinois, Ohio State, Purdue, FSU, Maryland, Pitt, Penn State, Washington.....Not a bad conference

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The Pac 12 Commissioer let it slip...

“I’ve been in frequent and regular contact with all of the other [Autonomy 5] commissioners the last few weeks about the complex issues that are facing the industry,” Kliavkoff said.

Reaction Score

Wonder what this does to scheduling games against us...sounds like it could really impact our games.

This was the part that was the biggest OUCH for the Big 12....
I actually don't think it should impact much.

The alliance is more on issues like playoff expansion than it is scheduling (i think). And the OOC scheduling for all these schools is probably done for the next 10 years so any scheduling alliance would be instead of a 9th in conference game. Just speculation but I doubt it impacts much.

As noted in an earlier post this alliance won't have a financial impact so it still makes sense for these schools to schedule local and save some money traveling.

A dollar saved is a dollar earned (plus getting opponent fans to come to your venue for attendance).

Plus the schools that it would matter to play often like Oregon, Ohio State, and Clemson weren't coming to the Rent anyway.

Theres no value to forcing a Syracuse - Purdue matchup or Washington State - Rutgers so shouldn't matter much.

Reaction Score
If big-Pac-acc are forming any kind of alliance (even a meaningless one) then that looks very very bad for the b12. They need to act fast to show that they are still a player in FB.

if Bowlsby is any good (and not Tranghese 2.0) he is on negotiations right now with Boise BYU Cinci Hous UCF USF. Add those 6 and you’ve got a FB conference comparable to the PAC and ACC.

Bonus: it destroys their nearest competitor, the AAc

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom