Pac 12 games 2/25 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pac 12 games 2/25

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It doesn't look like it's going to be rescheduled. I would've thought WSU would have to forfeit, but apparently not. Pac 12 Tourney starts on Wednesday, so not much of a window for rescheduling.
That I know about - no, by NCAA rule, so long as neither team shows up, that's it. If Stanford showed up to play the game, then they would have been given the forfeit win.

That said, of course it could have been rescheduled, but they didn't. I don't think it affected anything unless the game had been an upset for the ages.

Happened in 2006 when one of the ASU player's family members died at a destination tournament. Rutgers and ASU cancelled their game, which is why CTT was so proactive about Rutgers during the Imus incident.

Reaction Score
Oregon State won after a terrible (typical) 1st 5 minutes of unforced turnovers. I don't know what Rueck needs to do in order to get this team to come out on fire in the first 5 minutes? I will say, Rueck is one of the best at making adjustments. Beavers were a completely different team in the 3rd quarter. Tough, tenacious, and defensive studs. However, without Marie Gulich, this would have been a loss. Marie Gulich may be the best post player in the country right now. She made all of her shots she took in the 2nd half, including all her free throws. Rueck recognized that ASU was overplaying the 3-point line, so Rueck ran play after play to Gulich. Gulich was unreal. I will say the Beavers did a much better job rebounding, and, defending in the 2nd half. Just glad to get out AZ with 2 wins. Beavers are keeping the door open for hosting 1st two rounds. GO BEAVS!
Bummer though I do like Oregon St I was pulling for Az State since they needed it more

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Finally watched the second half of OSU-ASU. Gulich was awesome. 30 pts. and hit every FG and FT she attempted over the final 20 minutes.

OSU had a strong contingent of fans in Tempe, including Sydney Wiese and her parents.

I've always thought this. ASU's Curtain of Distraction is an absolute embarrassment. It's an advertisement for anyone watching that they are a bush league school. You go ASU.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Finally watched the second half of OSU-ASU. Gulich was awesome. 30 pts. and hit every FG and FT she attempted over the final 20 minutes.

OSU had a strong contingent of fans in Tempe, including Sydney Wiese and her parents.

I've always thought this. ASU's Curtain of Distraction is an absolute embarrassment. It's an advertisement for anyone watching that they are a bush league school. You go ASU.
Bush league? Please. It's fun, it's different, it's quirky. I don't see the big deal.
Much more embarrassing to have a fan get suspended for mercilessly taunting the opponents.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Bush league? Please. It's fun, it's different, it's quirky. I don't see the big deal.
Much more embarrassing to have a fan get suspended for mercilessly taunting the opponents.

I half agree. One fan at one game was embarrassing for OSU. The display put on every game at ASU and officially sanctioned by the school is also embarrassing. But hey, ASU is the school where a group of fans once taunted Steve Kerr about his father who was murdered in Beirut, so the bar is set pretty low in Tempe.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I half agree. One fan at one game was embarrassing for OSU. The display put on every game at ASU and officially sanctioned by the school is also embarrassing. But hey, ASU is the school where a group of fans once taunted Steve Kerr about his father who was murdered in Beirut, so the bar is set pretty low in Tempe.
Wow, we're really reaching back into the history bin now. Did the school officially sanction that as well?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Wow, we're really reaching back into the history bin now. Did the school officially sanction that as well?
The shenanigans continue as this month a Arizona Cheerleader was repeatedly warned about his heckling an ASU player and was tossed out of the game. Students organizing “interesting distractions” is one thing, having the school being complicit is something else and is not promoting fair play. So I get your snark on your last sentence but that was not entirely fair as that was not NWHoop’s point.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
There is plenty of nastiness within every fan base that I have experienced. The ASU / U of A rivalry is "cute" when you are talking about "AS who" vs. "Don't fear the kitty". But a group of ASU fans almost got ejected from a U of A WBB game a few years back, and a U of A cheerleader did get ejected from the ASU (men's) game this year. There was a Rutgers fan that exchanged middle fingers with Geno one game and a UConn fan that told me at the BE tourney one year to get my disgraceful coach and disgusting team off the soil of Connecticut. Etc.

Its why I like women's basketball - bad happenings are the exception, not the rule. I attended the NIT in MSG when the RU men made it and was disgusted by the vile things being yelled by, like everyone. Women's sports are relatively mild.

As to the Curtain of Distraction - I thought it was remarkably silly the one time I saw it. That's all, silly.

Reaction Score
I kind of like it too. It’s different.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well I strongly disagree and I'm not going to change my mind. At one point during the game I was watching there was a cheap knock off of the Beaver mascot vigorously making out with a cheap knock off of the Duck mascot. That's not clever or funny to me. That's lame and in poor taste. The TV commentators were nearly at a loss for words but you could tell they were uncomfortable. That's not the first time I've seen something along those lines. They definitely try to push the boundaries. At best they are sophomoric. It's also a spectacle. It seems they are trying to makes themselves into a bigger draw than the game itself. Thankfully most student fan bases at schools across the country have more dignity and taste and have not followed suit.

Let me ask this, would UConn fans be excited to see their owns students imitating the Curtain of Distraction? I'm pretty sure the answer to that is an easy "no." Probably not everybody commenting here is UConn fans, hard to keep track sometimes. I guess substitute whichever school is your primary rooting interest. Anyway I'm pretty sure Geno would put the kibosh on that if anyone tried it in Storrs or Hartford.

Reaction Score
Well I strongly disagree and I'm not going to change my mind. At one point during the game I was watching there was a cheap knock off of the Beaver mascot vigorously making out with a cheap knock off of the Duck mascot. That's not clever or funny to me. That's lame and in poor taste. The TV commentators were nearly at a loss for words but you could tell they were uncomfortable. That's not the first time I've seen something along those lines. They definitely try to push the boundaries. At best they are sophomoric. It's also a spectacle. It seems they are trying to makes themselves into a bigger draw than the game itself. Thankfully most student fan bases at schools across the country have more dignity and taste and have not followed suit.

Let me ask this, would UConn fans be excited to see their owns students imitating the Curtain of Distraction? I'm pretty sure the answer to that is an easy "no." Probably not everybody commenting here is UConn fans, hard to keep track sometimes. I guess substitute whichever school is your primary rooting interest. Anyway I'm pretty sure Geno would put the kibosh on that if anyone tried it in Storrs or Hartford.
Have to agree with nwhoopfan, the curtain of distraction is overdone. One of the PAC12 game commentators, deemed the duck making out with the beaver "PAC12 After Dark". That was the only funny thing about it. Re: the one bad OSU Fan, who has now been removed from Gill Coliseum.....USC and OSU handled this situation with great speed and care, and did so in a cooperative manner. I am an OSU alum, and, fan, and I will tell you, that OSU fans are the most respectful group I have come across in athletics. I'm proud of OSU and our fan base. I'm sure UCONN fans can relate to how I feel about our athletics program, and fan base.

Reaction Score
I live in Phoenix, but I'm not an ASU homer. I do go to some ASU BB & football games though, to see the good PAC-12 teams. Curtain of Distraction doesn't bother me. ASU is a major party school, and proud of it. Michael Phelps lives here and helps out as kind of an unofficial assistant coach on the ASU swim team. They have used him in the Curtain. I went to the ASU-UCLA mens game right before Christmas and the Curtain featured cheerleaders dancing suggestively in " Santa" outfits.

All in good fun. They just don't take it so seriously as some here seem to. And it's not effective, regarding opponents' free throws. Not nearly as "unfair" as that Texas strobe light thing.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Watched Colorado just beat Utah. Kennedy Leonard is a very good player. She is fun to watch.

Alexis Robinson as well. That's a nice 1-2 punch for CU. Didn't see the game today but I've watched them a handful of times the last several years.

In the other game completed today, UW had a double digit lead against Cal but couldn't hang on, 71-68 Bears. Asha Thomas led the way w/ 22 points. Melgoza scored 30 for UW.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom