Pac 12 games 2/25 | The Boneyard

Pac 12 games 2/25

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Oregon St. @ Arizona St. at 1pm PST is the best matchup of the day. On Pac 12 Network. OSU would tie UCLA for 3rd place w/ a win. Cal and ASU are currently tied for 5th place.

Right now Oregon is not exactly slamming the door shut on 11th place Arizona. Up 11 in the 4th quarter, not playing particularly well.

As noted elsewhere Stanford @ Washington St. has been cancelled.

Cal @ Washington at 3pm PST.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
63-57 Oregon w/ 4:10 left. Arizona has only 2 conference wins and 6-22 on the season. OSU just wiped the floor w/ Arizona Friday night. This is unexpected.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Arizona got it down to 5, but back to back 3's by Bando gave Oregon some breathing room 70-59 w/ 2:40 left.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
74-61 final. With Stanford not playing their final game it was already a foregone conclusion but Oregon is the outright Pac 12 Champ. 4th year in a row a team from the State of Oregon won the Pac.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
74-61 final. With Stanford not playing their final game it was already a foregone conclusion but Oregon is the outright Pac 12 Champ. 4th year in a row a team from the State of Oregon won the Pac.
That is really weird. So that WSU game is just wiped from the schedule, not to be replayed?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
That is really weird. So that WSU game is just wiped from the schedule, not to be replayed?

It doesn't look like it's going to be rescheduled. I would've thought WSU would have to forfeit, but apparently not. Pac 12 Tourney starts on Wednesday, so not much of a window for rescheduling.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
ASU up 8-2 early. Turnover parade started from the get go for OSU, 5 in the first 5 minutes of the game. I've seen this routine before. Frustrating. Mostly unforced too, just poor ball handling, passing and decision making.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
12-4 ASU, OSU looks awful. I'm not watching this crap, turned the TV off.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
12-4 ASU, OSU looks awful. I'm not watching this crap, turned the TV off.
Breath my friend, breath...ok, battle, through, take one for the team and advise us on how Scott is handling this...you can do it, I trust you...:)

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I went for a walk and missed the rest of the game. Might be worthwhile to watch a replay. The second half at least. Gulich went Beast Mode, scored 36 on 16-18 from the floor, overcame a 10 point halftime deficit for a 64-60 win. Good for them! Finished tied for 3rd w/ UCLA, get the 3 seed in the conference tourney where they might face ASU again. Not too bad for a rebuilding year, they've lost 3 starters 2 years in a row. Gulich and McWilliams are the only players left that played at all during the Final 4 year and they were just role players then.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
UW played pretty darn well against Stanford on Friday. They look hapless today. Cal cruising 22-9 early 2nd quarter. Anigwe is about to pass Clarendon for #4 on the school career scoring record. Should easily end up #1 by the end of her Sr. year barring injury.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
39-22 Cal at the half. Another tough day for the Huskies.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Melgoza has 6 quick points and an assist to start Q3. Chipping away at the lead a little bit. 44-30.

Reaction Score
Pac 12 basketball is fun. Very cool that Arizona hung in there against Oregon.

Side note and off topic: ESPN WBB announcers are terrible. Get the PAC 12 people in there to bring some excitement. Pam Ward?? the play by play anncr is barely alive. Kate Scott would run circles around her and she is one of the many talents the PAC 12 has.
Andy Landers and Nell, bless their hearts, are too old. Ex old coaches are hard to watch. Frankly, even REBECCA and Kara are getting stale. I’m spoiled with PAC 12 telecasts. Get exciting, insightful young blood on TV that makes you want to keep watching.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yo yo'd back and forth a bit, but Cal stretched the lead out to 20 after 3Q. The one bad quarter struck the Huskies again, has happened almost every game. Fell behind 20-6 after Q1, have played close to even since. Rough shooting night for the Dawgs, 31% from the floor and 18% behind the arc. Shots were dropping on Friday, not today.

Anigwe w/ 21 pts. 12 rebounds. Most of the good post players they've faced have feasted against UW. Still can't figure out how they shut down Gulich a couple weeks ago.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Anigwe just caught an inadvertent elbow on the nose from Hannah Johnson. Ouch. 65-51, UW starting to hit a few 3's.

Reaction Score
What happened to Anigwe? She was awesome her first two years. Maybe Cal has more options now. I don’t know about Lindsey Gottlieb.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
What happened to Anigwe? She was awesome her first two years. Maybe Cal has more options now. I don’t know about Lindsey Gottlieb.

I've been asking the same question most of the year. She did finish the season strong against the Washington schools. Her numbers are still good but I expected more. Thought she could be approaching Ogwumike type of player as an upperclassman. We'll see how her Sr. year goes.

Reaction Score
Cal has a great recruit McKenzie Forbes (Folsom Ca) #36 2018 HG. Very versatile and poised w great vision. A Magic Johnson type. Looking forward to seeing how she develops.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Cal has a great recruit McKenzie Forbes (Folsom Ca) #36 2018 HG. Very versatile and poised w great vision. A Magic Johnson type. Looking forward to seeing how she develops.

Cowling and Davidson are decent players, but they bring back almost everybody next year. Thomas will be a Sr., pretty good guard. Kianna Smith had a nice Fr. season. They made a big improvement from last year (6-12 in conference to 11-7), maybe they'll take another jump next season.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
UW made the score look a little better at the end, 83-67. Had grown to 23 point margin or more. Melgoza finished w/ 24 points but only 7-19 from the floor. 1-17 in conference, rough season. 15-3 last year. Has anybody ever lost their top 6 scorers from the previous season before? That's just brutal. Who can recover from that?

Reaction Score
Oregon State won after a terrible (typical) 1st 5 minutes of unforced turnovers. I don't know what Rueck needs to do in order to get this team to come out on fire in the first 5 minutes? I will say, Rueck is one of the best at making adjustments. Beavers were a completely different team in the 3rd quarter. Tough, tenacious, and defensive studs. However, without Marie Gulich, this would have been a loss. Marie Gulich may be the best post player in the country right now. She made all of her shots she took in the 2nd half, including all her free throws. Rueck recognized that ASU was overplaying the 3-point line, so Rueck ran play after play to Gulich. Gulich was unreal. I will say the Beavers did a much better job rebounding, and, defending in the 2nd half. Just glad to get out AZ with 2 wins. Beavers are keeping the door open for hosting 1st two rounds. GO BEAVS!

Reaction Score
I went for a walk and missed the rest of the game. Might be worthwhile to watch a replay. The second half at least. Gulich went Beast Mode, scored 36 on 16-18 from the floor, overcame a 10 point halftime deficit for a 64-60 win. Good for them! Finished tied for 3rd w/ UCLA, get the 3 seed in the conference tourney where they might face ASU again. Not too bad for a rebuilding year, they've lost 3 starters 2 years in a row. Gulich and McWilliams are the only players left that played at all during the Final 4 year and they were just role players then.
nwhoopfan, hopefully you burned off all the stress that 1st quarter rained down on you (and me)! Rueck is going to have to solve the puzzle on how to get his team to play the 1st half, as if it is the 2nd half! Rueck got his team refocused, and they came to play ball in the 2nd half. But having a 1st quarter like that in the NCAA Tourney could be lethal. Thank goodness for Marie Gulich. All I can say is WOW! Had to be the best performance of any player today.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
nwhoopfan, hopefully you burned off all the stress that 1st quarter rained down on you (and me)! Rueck is going to have to solve the puzzle on how to get his team to play the 1st half, as if it is the 2nd half! Rueck got his team refocused, and they came to play ball in the 2nd half. But having a 1st quarter like that in the NCAA Tourney could be lethal. Thank goodness for Marie Gulich. All I can say is WOW! Had to be the best performance of any player today.

I had a nice walk, so it's all good. I gave up on them but I'm sure that had zero impact on the outcome of the game. It's been a bit of an up and down year but overall has to be considered very successful given what they lost. Rueck continues to do a great job in Corvallis. That turnover problem I'm pretty sure is going to end their season, it's just a matter of how far they get in the Tourney. Not sure what they can do at this point. Seems like McWilliams was running the PG more than Pivec for a game or two, but then switched back.

I was thinking about this a little bit. If you look at the development over 4 years for Hamblin and now Gulich, every post player should be lining up and banging down the door to play for Rueck and OSU.

Reaction Score
I had a nice walk, so it's all good. I gave up on them but I'm sure that had zero impact on the outcome of the game. It's been a bit of an up and down year but overall has to be considered very successful given what they lost. Rueck continues to do a great job in Corvallis. That turnover problem I'm pretty sure is going to end their season, it's just a matter of how far they get in the Tourney. Not sure what they can do at this point. Seems like McWilliams was running the PG more than Pivec for a game or two, but then switched back.

I was thinking about this a little bit. If you look at the development over 4 years for Hamblin and now Gulich, every post player should be lining up and banging down the door to play for Rueck and OSU.
Lately, it has been just UP for the Beavers. Regarding the early turnovers, I think its a bit on Rueck. Rueck needs to recognize sooner how his team is being defended, and make adjustments much earlier. OSU did come out with a win, at a place that is hard to win. Before this weekend, ASU had lost only one home game. These OSU kids are resilient if anything. They have learned how to close out games. I watched a lot of other games this year, and I still feel the PAC12 has the best athletes, and, is the most competitive league. Come time for the NCAA Tournament, this will be a plus for OSU, and all the other PAC12 teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom