PAC-12 Chaos | Page 4 | The Boneyard

PAC-12 Chaos

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Walk me through what you think this means.
I have no idea what Huskymedic thinks it means and I imagine that he can speak for himself but I will throw in my opinion as I was about to post the article.

This is bad optics for Stanford as they pride themselves on being primarily an academic institution and those who care deeply about these things will most likely view the move as damage control.

As far as realignment goes, the only way this has any impact at all is that it may make Stanford less inclined to agree with adding a member who isn't held in some academic regard (hurts California state university schools; SDSU, Fresno St etc.).

Reaction Score
Conspiracy Theory: Deion scheduled his surgery around PAC 12 Media Day on purpose because he wants Colorado to leave the PAC 12.

Reaction Score
#headfake :p

-> …But the university’s commitment to the conference it joined a dozen years ago could depend, in part, on a long-awaited Pac-12 broadcast rights deal. DiStefano said clarity on the new media partnerships is expected to be presented to league chancellors and presidents Thursday by conference commissioner George Kliavkoff.

“I’m eagerly awaiting to hear what the commissioner has to say (Thursday),” DiStefano told The Post in a phone interview Wednesday afternoon. “But at this point, the 10 (Pac-12) schools are staying together and awaiting a message from the commissioner.”<-

-> “(CU’s) goal is to stay within the Pac-12 and have a media deal coming up shortly,” the chancellor continued. “That’s our goal. And I believe the presidents and chancellors of the Pac-12 are together on that.” <-

->When asked if there was a target payout number that CU would like to see from the Pac-12, DiStefano replied:

“You’d like to see it at — I think all along, we’ve talked about (and have been) looking at, what the ACC and the Big 12 (have received) and what the SEC and the Big Ten are getting, and wanting to be kind of in the middle of the pack — probably to be third, behind the SEC. That’s been the goal for such a long time.”

DiStefano added that he had yet to see a “final number on media rights (from Kliavkoff) … that’s why we’re meeting tomorrow.” <-

Reaction Score
#headfake :p

-> …But the university’s commitment to the conference it joined a dozen years ago could depend, in part, on a long-awaited Pac-12 broadcast rights deal. DiStefano said clarity on the new media partnerships is expected to be presented to league chancellors and presidents Thursday by conference commissioner George Kliavkoff.

“I’m eagerly awaiting to hear what the commissioner has to say (Thursday),” DiStefano told The Post in a phone interview Wednesday afternoon. “But at this point, the 10 (Pac-12) schools are staying together and awaiting a message from the commissioner.”<-

-> “(CU’s) goal is to stay within the Pac-12 and have a media deal coming up shortly,” the chancellor continued. “That’s our goal. And I believe the presidents and chancellors of the Pac-12 are together on that.” <-

->When asked if there was a target payout number that CU would like to see from the Pac-12, DiStefano replied:

“You’d like to see it at — I think all along, we’ve talked about (and have been) looking at, what the ACC and the Big 12 (have received) and what the SEC and the Big Ten are getting, and wanting to be kind of in the middle of the pack — probably to be third, behind the SEC. That’s been the goal for such a long time.”

DiStefano added that he had yet to see a “final number on media rights (from Kliavkoff) … that’s why we’re meeting tomorrow.” <-

It will come down to that media deal number. If it is low, I do believe Colorado will be going to the B12. If it is close, it will be a tough decision for Colorado since they get so many kids from CA.

At this point, B12 should just invite UCONN if there isn't a partner. It makes no sense for the B12 to wait since there are no divisions so even number of teams isn't required.

Reaction Score
The PAC12 has a time zone issue, but it also has something far worse than a time zone issue.

If they go head to head to other conferences, people in the midwest and east coast are simply going to chose not to watch.

Nobody on the east coast is going to pick Stanford-Cal at noon on Saturday.
Easy solution, schedule UConn every year.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I know, but people here don't have the greatest interest in college football. They will go to pro games though especially for 49ers, Warriors, and Giants. Stanford and Cal? Not so much.
We could say the exact same thing about the Northeast, specifically NYC and Boston.

Reaction Score
It will come down to that media deal number. If it is low, I do believe Colorado will be going to the B12. If it is close, it will be a tough decision for Colorado since they get so many kids from CA.

At this point, B12 should just invite UCONN if there isn't a partner. It makes no sense for the B12 to wait since there are no divisions so even number of teams isn't required.
It may be a close and a difficult decision, but it doesn't hinge on a connection to California as a source of students or on the prevalence of west coast alumni. CU-Boulder has been attracting kids from California since forever. Kids from there, and from everywhere else, are attracted by what they perceive to be a lifestyle thing. Attitudes don't hinge upon conference affiliation. It was like that when my daughter was a student there during CU's glory days in the Big12. Back then, McCartney attracted a lot of football talent from Texas, California, and American Samoa.

Reaction Score
One big advantage for the 10 PAC schools to stay together is reasonable access to the playoffs. How often would any of those teams make the playoffs out of the B1G or the SEC, even with multiple bids going to those conferences. I think it’s more important recruiting wise to have a program that makes the playoffs versus a Rutgers that gets huge money but really has no shot at the playoffs.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
One big advantage for the 10 PAC schools to stay together is reasonable access to the playoffs. How often would any of those teams make the playoffs out of the B1G or the SEC, even with multiple bids going to those conferences. I think it’s more important recruiting wise to have a program that makes the playoffs versus a Rutgers that gets huge money but really has no shot at the playoffs.
I agree except for one thing- these are universities who for the most part, make much more money on the education and research side. Take BC and Rutgers, they gladly cash checks they don't deserve while being cellar dwellers.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree except for one thing- these are universities who for the most part, make much more money on the education and research side. Take BC and Rutgers, they gladly cash checks they don't deserve while being cellar dwellers.
Since Rutgers actually generates a decent chunk of money for the Big Ten network by being located in the New York DMA, one can argue that they actually deserve the check they're getting. BC, not so much.

Reaction Score

Will that be true past 2025 though? The 12 team playoff agreement with automatic births to the top 6 conference champions only applies to the 2024 and 2025 seasons. After that, it's anyone's guess what the playoffs will look like.

Something else to consider....if access to the playoffs is so big, why aren't Texas and Oklahoma remaining in the Big 12? Why aren't USC and UCLA remaining in the PAC-12? Why aren't UCF, Houston and Cincinnati remaining in the American? These moves all happened when everyone knew the playoffs would expand, even if the details weren't nailed down as of then. None of these schools are begging to return to their old conferences.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

If it's close they will stay. The question is how much less money and less exposure will they take before they leave? Think of this as an election: the Pac-12 is the incumbent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom