Pac-12 and Big East action (Fri. 1/25) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Pac-12 and Big East action (Fri. 1/25)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Oh boy, Which game did NW say he was going to? I hope it was WSU but suspect UW
He's going to the UW game. WSU is clear across the state.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Beaver State is up 56-17 on UW at the half. Is there a mercy rule?

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
How good is Satou Sabally? This is a unique player.

As is, rumor has it, her injured sister Nyara, also 6'4' and the MVP of two consecutive European Tournaments. When talking about a sophomore "leap," Satou's has to rival Napheesa's and Katie Lou's a couple of years ago. I'd add that, with a growing number of 6'4"/6'5"-ish recruits claiming--mostly wrongly imo--that they should be considered a 3, she is the real deal in that regard.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Oh boy, Which game did NW say he was going to? I hope it was WSU but suspect UW

That would've been a LONG drive to go to the game in Pullman. Yep, I was there for the beat down.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Pivec grabbed 19 rebounds tonight! I don't care that UW is bad and was overmatched, she's a 5-10 guard. That's pretty impressive. Of course UW did miss about 100 shots so there were plenty of rebounds to be grabbed.

Weird game. OSU put on a clinic in the first half, then went cold and got sloppy in the second half. Didn't matter at all.

I feel bad for Melgoza. Some games UW is competitive against good teams, but games like tonight it appears she's the only D1 worthy player on the roster. She had 20, Rees had 10 (on 3-15 shooting though), the rest of the team COMBINED for 9 points. Ugh.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Looking at stats a bit more, UW was 15-69 (21.7%) from the floor. Melgoza was 9-21. You take her away--6-48. Oh my. From 3 point range they were 4-33 (12.1%). They hit too many shots against Cal last week, they had to come crashing back down to their average.

Slocum scored 11 points in the first 2 1/2 minutes of the second quarter. She was scoreless in Q1 but scored 17 in Q2, as many as UW did as a team for the first half.

Reaction Score
Satous been brilliant.
Germany going to have 1 gigantic team in a few years. The next European powerhouse for sure. I'd say 8-9 of the 12 players on the future roster will be 6'3 and above.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
When talking about a sophomore "leap," Satou's has to rival Napheesa's and Katie Lou's a couple of years ago. I'd add that, with a growing number of 6'4"/6'5"-ish recruits claiming--mostly wrongly imo--that they should be considered a 3, she is the real deal in that regard.

The way she's been improving, you might be looking at the #1 draft pick in the WNBA in '21.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I feel bad for Melgoza. Some games UW is competitive against good teams, but games like tonight it appears she's the only D1 worthy player on the roster. She had 20, Rees had 10 (on 3-15 shooting though), the rest of the team COMBINED for 9 points. Ugh.

To be fair, I believe Melgoza scored 14 of her 20 points in 4Q, when the game was well out of reach. In the 56-17 first half, when all the real damage was done, UW was cold-shooting across the board. I think Slocum may have outscored UW on her own in the 1st half. UW competed well with OSU in Corvallis, but this was just one of those nights.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Or ‘20. She’ll be eligible.

Then let's hope she wants to be on the court for a couple of years with her sister. Or maybe with another young and talented 6'4" player from Germany who is rumored to be an Oregon recruiting target: Emily Bessoir.

Reaction Score
Towson, or York Road U as the locals call it, is within walking distance of my house! By the way it's Towson University now, not Towson State. (Getting uppity! ;)). The game with Elon could become a rivalry. A lot of kids from the Towson area go to Elon.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
To be fair, I believe Melgoza scored 14 of her 20 points in 4Q, when the game was well out of reach. In the 56-17 first half, when all the real damage was done, UW was cold-shooting across the board. I think Slocum may have outscored UW on her own in the 1st half. UW competed well with OSU in Corvallis, but this was just one of those nights.

It was Slocum-17 UW-17 in the first half. Melgoza had 8 of the 17 for the Dawgs. She must've scored at least one bucket in Q3, so definitely didn't have 14 in Q4. The game was completely out of reach before Q1 was over, so really anything from Q2 on was inconsequential. This is the second year in a row OSU has done this to UW in Seattle. Last year they hit a Pac 12 record 18 3's on the way to a 95-57 win. They looked on pace to do that again this year, but after starting 8-13 they went ice cold, 2-16 the rest of the way.

Plebe

Reaction Score
It was Slocum-17 UW-17 in the first half. Melgoza had 8 of the 17 for the Dawgs. She must've scored at least one bucket in Q3, so definitely didn't have 14 in Q4. The game was completely out of reach before Q1 was over, so really anything from Q2 on was inconsequential. This is the second year in a row OSU has done this to UW in Seattle. Last year they hit a Pac 12 record 18 3's on the way to a 95-57 win. They looked on pace to do that again this year, but after starting 8-13 they went ice cold, 2-16 the rest of the way.
Oops sorry, I meant to say 14 in the 2nd half (and I still would've been wrong, it was 12), but the point still remains that the entire 2nd half was garbage time.

UW is so outmanned, they're just bound to have games like this one and like the Mississippi State game. They're to be commended for the number of times they're able to stay close with really good teams.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
UW is so outmanned, they're just bound to have games like this one and like the Mississippi State game. They're to be commended for the number of times they're able to stay close with really good teams.

Looking for a silver lining eh? You're right, but 2 years in a row of this is tough. I think the game last night knocked one poor fan into a coma. She was dancing and whooping it up before the game started. By the 2nd and 3rd quarter she had her head buried in her hands and she wasn't even watching anymore. By the fourth quarter she was laying down and I'm not sure if she was conscious or not.

I'm fairly torn on whether I should root for Neighbors at Arky. He engineered the most successful stint in UW history and he seemed like a personable and funny guy. He also left the program in terrible shape as he slipped out the back door.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Recorded several other games. Watched Oregon @ Washington St. late last night, Stanford @ Colorado today. If I had a vote Alanna Smith is definitely my leading candidate for Pac 12 POY. I'd actually put Sabally at #2.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I'd go with Smith at this point as well, especially since Ionescu has not shot very well (for her) throughout the Pac 12 season so far. If Sabally keeps it up, she would also be a worthy candidate as well, but I can't see her getting past a senior, and especially one playing at Stanford.

That said, I found this recent article a very interesting read:

Sabrina Ionescu Is Always On

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
That was interesting jonson. I think it's safe to say Ionescu is probably misunderstood quite a bit. The anecdote about her exchange w/ Tudor during an AAU game was probably my favorite part.

edited--FYI I'll probably go watch your Ducks dismantle UW tomorrow

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member