P5 schools don’t front flip, huh??? | The Boneyard

P5 schools don’t front flip, huh???

Reaction Score
It was obvious during the game that the refs were holding UConn to a different standard than NC State. When they held, it didn't get called; when we held, it did. Anything UConn did wrong got penalized, but NC State got a pass. ACC refs. I guess it's fitting that NC State beat us Thursday night with the help of favorable refereeing, then voted to add SMU/Cal/Stanford to the ACC on Friday, driving another nail in the coffin that represents the future of UConn football. The message is very clear: they want us GONE. I can't even watch CFB games involving Power 4 teams anymore (unless it's UConn playing them) because I'm so disillusioned by the whole thing.

Reaction Score
It was obvious during the game that the refs were holding UConn to a different standard than NC State. When they held, it didn't get called; when we held, it did. Anything UConn did wrong got penalized, but NC State got a pass. ACC refs. I guess it's fitting that NC State beat us Thursday night with the help of favorable refereeing, then voted to add SMU/Cal/Stanford to the ACC on Friday, driving another nail in the coffin that represents the future of UConn football. The message is very clear: they want us GONE. I can't even watch CFB games involving Power 4 teams anymore (unless it's UConn playing them) because I'm so disillusioned by the whole thing.
It really does feel like we're getting screwed more by the refs since we've gone independent

Reaction Score
How does it make zero difference if some teams can get away with it and others can't?
Your argument is that the refs in the Auburn game are bad, not the ones in our game. There is a rule, it was broken, and refs in our game enforced that rule properly. Maybe you should put a complaint in the the SEC refs that they are not following the rules or something, but complaining that the refs in our game properly enforced a rule that everyone agrees exists seems a bit odd.

Besides that point, it is a zero upside move either way. Even if it is enforced 20% of the time, it give us no advantage to front flip and only causes a risk in harming our team's chances of winning.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It really does feel like we're getting screwed more by the refs since we've gone independent
There actually weren’t that many penalties called. Were we ever called for holding? Couldn’t have been more than once. But whilentechnically the Rosa flip might be a no no, watching it on replay it certainly is something that didn’t have to be called and if it depends on who is reffing, it either should be called every time or not at all. The other call that was highly questionable was the end zone interference call. Those 2 penalties put big time hurts on us and the Rosa penalty was compounded by the penalty on the late hit that obviously was a penalty.

Reaction Score
It is against the rules. Whether or not it's called in other games or whatever makes zero difference. Just don't do it because it can be called and it helps the team in no way.
It makes all the difference. Inconsistent calls can make the difference between winning and losing. Unlike some on here like to contend, bad reffing sometimes causes teams to lose - that’s undeniable.

But I agree, don’t do it because it might get called.

Reaction Score
Your argument is that the refs in the Auburn game are bad, not the ones in our game. There is a rule, it was broken, and refs in our game enforced that rule properly. Maybe you should put a complaint in the the SEC refs that they are not following the rules or something, but complaining that the refs in our game properly enforced a rule that everyone agrees exists seems a bit odd.

Besides that point, it is a zero upside move either way. Even if it is enforced 20% of the time, it give us no advantage to front flip and only causes a risk in harming our team's chances of winning.

My argument is that the refs in the Auburn game let it go and in our game the refs didn't when everyone is assuring us that it is a penalty. And it hurt us at a crucial time in that game. Yes, we agree that Rosa shouldn't have done it, but I have a right to be upset when I see him getting flagged for it and not seeing a player in another game doing the same thing and not getting flagged.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You definitely have the right to be upset with the refs and the refs made a lot of questionable calls in our game. I just don't think being upset at the play the refs got right is the way to go and compare it to when the refs in another game got it wrong. If we are making a case for the bad refereeing in the game, putting a play they got it right on as an example doesn't make much sense to me.

Reaction Score
Well we allowed ACC refs to come into our game and hold us to a higher standard then our brethren. I didn’t know it at the time but that certainly explains some of the crucial calls against us while their quarterback played ballerina for 60 minutes and their line got called for NO holdings.

Reaction Score
Well we allowed ACC refs to come into our game and hold us to a higher standard then our brethren. I didn’t know it at the time but that certainly explains some of the crucial calls against us while their quarterback played ballerina for 60 minutes and their line got called for NO holdings.
When it comes down to it, Durante Jones, Victor Rosa, and Jim Mora all said that they imploded and did stupid things, not that the referees caused any of this stuff. If Rosa doesn't dive into the end zone and our DBs turn their heads like they should, this talk of the refs is a non-issue.

Reaction Score
What is worse about the Auburn / UMass no call is that Auburn’s touchdown made it 38-7 and pretty much put the game away. So the dive into the end zone was much more about showing up the other team and unsportsmanlike.

I will add that unlike most of the BY I do not put much weight in bad calls. I always believe that refereeing is subjective and just part of the game. Good/bad calls go both ways. This place goes crazy about it and is convinced every ref is out for UConn and there is this huge conspiracy theory. And this does not start and end with football. Basketball BY’ers are even worse - yet some how we still win a NC…

Reaction Score
They called one penalty on NC state. A harmless five yard false start in the middle of the field.
No holds on an offense and a QB that rely heavy on the run game. That’s not even getting into the big impactful flags they threw against us. And now we see that it’s NOT always called just two days later.
Mora and the kids have to say the right thing after a game but we don’t.

Reaction Score
It’s different because it’s not UConn doing it.
Yep, the contract of getting a game we have to use their officials. If I am wrong I will take appropriate slander.
It is against the rules.
This is not a attack but please post the rule on how one has to enter the end zone. I have searched for hours and cant find a rule on what is acceptable or not. Decades of watching football I have seen players dive in the end zone, scamper, roll on their back and reach the ball in the end zone. No calls. Taunting and excessive celebration once the play is dead yes. There was none of that.
I'm not going to slander you by naming you Captain Obvious ;) but rather complement you on being one of those that realize it.
When it comes down to it, Durante Jones, Victor Rosa, and Jim Mora all said that they imploded and did stupid things, not that the referees caused any of this stuff. If Rosa doesn't dive into the end zone and our DBs turn their heads like they should, this talk of the refs is a non-issue.
Do you really think they said what they felt or what they had to say? Officials etc........

Reaction Score
At first I thought not the same thing but then I pulled up the Rosa play again. He had a defender within 5 yards of him too. UConn football is treated like second class citizens. It's upsetting and I find it hard to deal with.

Reaction Score
I don't think independence is the thing but we've always been treated like a joke.

Different deal but UConn gets an unfair shake in Big East basketball reffing but they call it straight up when we play out of league. Strange...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom