Owusu Question | The Boneyard

Owusu Question

Reaction Score
What in the world is going on? I guess its almost guaranteed she will be in the portal shortly

FsmC5wvWcAEQp3r

FsmBEXcXoAQAhDF

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I noticed she wasn’t on the bench tonight. Honestly I’m surprised she’s stayed with the team as long as she has considering how disconnected she’s looked in games and has made public pleas to play. I can sympathize with her situation, but if I’m Brooks I wouldn’t allow that type of “me first” public persona on my team.

Reaction Score
She's going pro, I doubt she makes a WNBA roster though.

Seems like the situation was a mess all season and the VTech players and coaches were pretty good about keeping it internal until the emotions of losing a close game boiled over. Owusu clearly had a better relationship with the opponent than her own team and didn't even go back out to the bench for the 2nd half.

Brooks has VTech's core so family-like close, it almost becomes make or break when portal kids come in. You better buy in, or else your going to be ostracized. You can argue whether that's right or wrong all day, and whether they win if they get 20 good minutes from Owusu today, but Idk if they get to the F4 if Amoore, Kitley, King, Soule, Traylor, Greeg and Coach Brooks were as close as they were.

Reaction Score
Only thing I can say is, be careful about what you wish for. Such as promising start to her career (Big 10 Freshman of the year and Big 10 Tournament MOP as a freshman). Now she probably will have to play overseas for the remainder of her career. She was very introverted when she was at Maryland and it was reported that she has some off the court issues. (not any bad things, probably more emotional things). Now bad things are coming out of Virginia Tech.

Reaction Score
This is just a tough situation for everyone. Owusu was cleary unhappy and on the outs with the team already. Maybe seing her old teammate Reese and the success her team has while she was sitting on the bench for what is still a very good team just boiled over.

I know her injury was a problem that couldn't be helped but a player can control her attitude. Right now she has lost a spot on her current team. Even if she got another free transfer, would any program take a chance on her? Just thinking out loud.

Reaction Score
so wait, she warmed up and was really on the bench first half and never went back after halftime? also, even if she wanted another year, she would now have to sit out a year - correct?

Reaction Score
so wait, she warmed up and was really on the bench first half and never went back after halftime? also, even if she wanted another year, she would now have to sit out a year - correct?
She should.

Reaction Score
She should.
One of main exceptions which would allow for a second automatic transfer is based emotional or mental health/wellbeing of the player. With the teammates posting about her online and how this whole final 4 thing went down, I'd say really good chance she'd qualify for the waiver.

Reaction Score
One of main exceptions which would allow for a second automatic transfer is based emotional or mental health/wellbeing of the player. With the teammates posting about her online and how this whole final 4 thing went down, I'd say really good chance she'd qualify for the waiver.
For the past few months she’s been proclaiming on Twitter “free me” so I’m sure her leaving the bench before the 2nd half during last night’s game was the tipping point for the rest of the team.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Wait, as I understand it, Ashley transferred after her Junior year so if she has "graduated" she could move to a new school as a Graduate student. The issue then becomes does she need to spend 4 semesters at a school to earn the degree? Would the summer of 2022 taking classes, the full year of 2022-23 and then another summer session allow her to qualify as a graduate student?

To put simply, this is not a good look for Ashley as due to injury and then the team's success without her, she was pushed down the depth chart and she did not accept it very well. Prior to last night's loss, Virginia Tech was on a 15 game winning streak and was fairly dominant in those games so I would say Kenny Brooks' rotation was logical.

Add in the optics of leaving Maryland where she and Diamond Miller were the "one-two punch", I am not sure what Ashley was actually looking for. From the outside, she looks very selfish.

Reaction Score
Right, I was just saying that regardless of who started this, once it goes public like it has, I think that increases likelihood that this would fall within the mental health exception for second automatic transfer.

Reaction Score

Not if she’s a grad student

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I think she announced a few weeks ago that she would forego her “Covid” year and declare for the draft.
Thought I heard/read the same thing, but have not seen any of it since then.

Always thought this was a questionable move for both sides, primarily because the core group of this team is so tight and there was no doubt Georgia Amoore had the keys to the ship -- even last year. Owusu seemed to be doing well enough in the beginning of the season, but it's been downhill with a weight since the injury and return. Compare that to Taylor Soule, who had to find her place, but became a solid contributor in the latter part of the season.

If Owusu does try to stay in college, she and possible suitors should make sure it's a ball-centric situation for her, because that seems to be paramount for her. Given how '22-23 went for her, I can't see her making a WNBA roster at this point in time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know it’s somewhat close to home, but Owusu choosing to go to a motion offense when she’s primarily been an isolation/PnR player is confusing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom