Overtime Fouls | The Boneyard

Overtime Fouls

Reaction Score
I took a look at the SC/Purdue game and noticed that three Purdue players fouled out during the game. I don't know when they fouled out, but it made me think there should be an additional foul allowed when they go to overtime. Then maybe another one when they go to a third overtime and so on. Anyone else feel this way?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I took a look at the SC/Purdue game and noticed that three Purdue players fouled out during the game. I don't know when they fouled out, but it made me think there should be an additional foul allowed when they go to overtime. Then maybe another one when they go to a third overtime and so on. Anyone else feel this way?
I actually have felt this way for a while. To me it's just common sense, and why wouldn't we want the best players in the game when it's being decided?

All three of those Purdue players were still in the game at the start of the first overtime. Harris picked up her 4th and 5th fouls very early in 1OT, Farquhar fouled out on that catastrophic foul of the 3-point shooter with 0:02 left in 1OT, which allowed SC to tie the game and send to 2OT. Oden fouled out near the end of 2OT when the game was out of reach.

Reaction Score
One way to think of it is the teams are extremely evenly-matched, hence overtime or multiple overtimes.. Sometimes it comes down to, “Which team was able to score this identical number of points without fouling as much?” To me it would unfairly favor the more foul-prone (less skilled) team if you awarded additional fouls for OT.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
One way to think of it is the teams are extremely evenly-matched, hence overtime or multiple overtimes.. Sometimes it comes down to, “Which team was able to score this identical number of points without fouling as much?” To me it would unfairly favor the more foul-prone (less skilled) team if you awarded additional fouls for OT.
I agree with your answer. Both teams are under the same rules. If one team commits an inordinate number of fouls, should the opposing team be penalized by allowing those same players to return?

I watched the majority of the game and was feeling bad for Purdue, because they had starters fouling out and had a decided disadvantage in the 2nd OT. However, these players didn't commit "phantom" fouls.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When you don't have the horses to battle 6'7" & 6'4" inside you're going to commit fouls, Unfortunately for Purdue, if they convert 2 of 2 foul shots at the end of the 1st OT rather than 1 of 2, or if they don't foul a jump shooter from the arc with 2 seconds left in that 1st OT, they likely win the game. Kids miss foul shots under pressure, but the foul committed on a 3 pt shot at the end of the 1st OT is inexcusable.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I actually want to go the other way and have players DQ once the reach 4 fouls. I think this would make for a better game where the more disciplined players get rewarded with more court time. A bonus is that a coach would be forced to use more players.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I actually want to go the other way and have players DQ once the reach 4 fouls. I think this would make for a better game where the more disciplined players get rewarded with more court time. A bonus is that a coach would be forced to use more players.
I am of the opposite opinion and think that it should take 6 fouls to be DQed. My only reason is because of the current 5 fouls that a player has "used", at least 1, and possibly 2, of them are either phantom or wrong calls.
It still bothers me to no end when a ref makes a call "assuming" that a foul had to occur when in fact, there was no contact or that the other player was the one that initiated the contact.

Reaction Score
Everything can’t be watered down! If they are the best players and they’re fouling out then maybe they need to be more disciplined. Five fouls are enough...We can’t baby these players!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Basketball is the only major game where players are disqualified for a certain amount of routine fouls. In the other major sports we all get to see the star players play the whole game unless one commits a major physical or verbal foul. If it was up to me there would be no fouling out of games in basketball. Any fouls over six, award the opposing team two free throws and the ball.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I agree with your answer. Both teams are under the same rules. If one team commits an inordinate number of fouls, should the opposing team be penalized by allowing those same players to return?

I watched the majority of the game and was feeling bad for Purdue, because they had starters fouling out and had a decided disadvantage in the 2nd OT. However, these players didn't commit "phantom" fouls.
I'm not saying that players who fouled out in regulation should be allowed to return to the game. If you foul out in regulation, you don't get to return.

But for players who pick up their 5th foul after the 40th minute of the game, I don't believe they should have to sit at that point. NBA games allow for 6 fouls to account for the fact that their games run 48 minutes instead of 40. Why shouldn't an overtime game have a similar measure to keep things proportionate?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Basketball is the only major game where players are disqualified for a certain amount of routine fouls. In the other major sports we all get to see the star players play the whole game unless one commits a major physical or verbal foul. If it was up to me there would be no fouling out of games in basketball. Any fouls over six, award the opposing team two free throws and the ball.
I agree with this as well. Football and soccer allow for an unlimited number of routine or common fouls. It's only unsportsmanlike or flagrantly dangerous conduct that gets a player disqualified.

Remember when the questionable calls on Lobo in the 1995 championship game had a major impact on the flow of the game? UConn almost miraculously overcame it, but that's not something that would even happen in any other sport that I know of.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Lots of good points in this thread prompts some thoughts. Why is basketball unique with players fouling out? Is it because of the contact nature of this "noncontact" sport? Other reasons? No reason other than that's just the way it is? In any case one possible solution could be that surpassing a foul limit brings extra benefits to the opponent, rather the ultimate penalty to the player. Let's use Coco's suggestion of four fouls. After the fourth, subsequent fouls by that same player awards both foul shots and possession to the opponent. This still penalizes the player further in that the coach has to think twice about keeping a player in that's going to provide extra benefits if he/she fouls, while the player has to be aware of that as well. Perhaps a better system of benefits could be conceived along the same compromise principle: keep the player in as with other sports but have a foul limit that, when surpassed by a player, increases the benefits to the opponent.

Reaction Score
I think the idea of fouling out in a competition, whatever it happens to be, basketball or any other serious competition, too often spoils things. It gives way too much power to the officials to determine the outcome of a game. That's not how I want my sports to be determined. I want to see players on the court fighting it out for a victory, not the officials potentially through errors in judgments made in split seconds or even possibly simply out of bias taking players off the court. We know that officials try hard to keep their personal feelings out of a game, but how easy it must be to a little deep down sort of root for one team or another. And a key player maybe at a critical juncture in the game gets sat down for some questionable call. Game over. Not the way things should be settled.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
I must say, there are some very good opinions and discussion in this thread. I have been persuaded to rethink my opinion. I do believe I would be in favor of no disqualification, for "conventional" fouls. (flagrant & otherwise are a different discussion) Some of the alternate penalty suggestions above are very good ideas IMHO.

Reaction Score
I am of the opposite opinion and think that it should take 6 fouls to be DQed. My only reason is because of the current 5 fouls that a player has "used", at least 1, and possibly 2, of them are either phantom or wrong calls.
It still bothers me to no end when a ref makes a call "assuming" that a foul had to occur when in fact, there was no contact or that the other player was the one that initiated the contact.
5 fouls are good. No need to change the game. I could be pushed to all any player that fouled out in regulation to play in ot with 1 foul to foul out (i.e. 6)
The 5 were and are believe that the refs should they make mistakes make that mistake equally--i.e. fairnes. if you are to increase it to 6, why not 7 or 8 or just do away with fouls completely and at the end of the game give everyone a copy of the NC trophy. Yep sarcastic--I believe rules need not be increased--I don't believe the Laws written in the last 30 years do anything the previous laws had not done.

Reaction Score
I think the idea of fouling out in a competition, whatever it happens to be, basketball or any other serious competition, too often spoils things. It gives way too much power to the officials to determine the outcome of a game. That's not how I want my sports to be determined. I want to see players on the court fighting it out for a victory, not the officials potentially through errors in judgments made in split seconds or even possibly simply out of bias taking players off the court. We know that officials try hard to keep their personal feelings out of a game, but how easy it must be to a little deep down sort of root for one team or another. And a key player maybe at a critical juncture in the game gets sat down for some questionable call. Game over. Not the way things should be settled.

Most coaches tell their players to understand how the refs are calling fouls and try to avoid them. Surprise, all refs are not equal all calls are not equal--just like life
In the AAC and other leagues, Geno knows the mannerism of the refs and so do his kids.
There were vocal complaints that Star players got a pass on some fouls. At times it sure looked like DT got that pass, even as a fan of hers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom