Overstating BWW? | The Boneyard

Overstating BWW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I know Blidi is good, but do people really think the game would have been THAT much different with him? What would WMU have thrown for, only 400 yards?

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
No, it's not an understatement. BWW would have meant little to no Wilburn.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
WMU had one receiver that especially dominated the game so if you put our best corner on him, the game probably changes completely. Also, BWW is capable of being physical with receivers which decreases their ability to run quick hitting slants and outs. On top of that, BWW is the best at defending WR screens which they also tortured us with.

Reaction Score
What he said.

ANSWER: Yes.

They threw at Wilburn repeatedly. BWW makes a huge difference. Lots of the last 5 drives by WM went at Wilburn.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Ok. Just curious.

Reaction Score
WMU had one receiver that especially dominated the game so if you put our best corner on him, the game probably changes completely. Also, BWW is capable of being physical with receivers which decreases their ability to run quick hitting slants and outs. On top of that, BWW is the best at defending WR screens which they also tortured us with.

WMU had three receivers with 100 yards, I think, or close. BWW would have helped not just by his play but by KEEPING #21 GARY WILBURN off the field. I hate doggin' kids but man, WMU was just blatantly throwing 5-10 yard outs/hitches on the kid in that fourth quarter. At that point they had just freakin' killed the kid all damn day and he wasn't even putting up a fight.

I will say this over and over. WHERE DID TAYLOR MACK GO? There is no way that kid should be on the bench while Wilburn gets roasted like a marshmallow all damn day. I just cannot understand why some kid who as a freshman was all over the field making plays, covering people, intercepting passes, and being a pest for QBs is not on the field?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
How about this for a difference. One will be playing on Sunday's and the other will be home watching. Take a guess which one is playing.
of course it would have made a difference with Blidi playing. Not sure if UConn wins but I can bet he doesn't get torched the entire game as Wilburn....He's name is so on target

I know Blidi is good, but do people really think the game would have been THAT much different with him? What would WMU have thrown for, only 400 yards?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
They had three guys go for over 100 yards and their best receiver wasn't the one who tortured Wilburn, their third best receiver was.

Reaction Score
No doubt he would have made a huge difference. He is an all conference caliber player.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
They had three guys go for over 100 yards and their best receiver wasn't the one who tortured Wilburn, their third best receiver was.
He was on the outside and not in the slot so I just assumed he was one of their top 2. I figured Gratz would be covering their top guy. Either way, when you put your best corner on the field, everyone's coverage assignment becomes easier which in most cases will mean everyone will play better.

If BWW make one play more than Wilburn did then it could have gone to OT because WMU doesn't score a TD. It could also mean the difference in field position. So much changes with every 3rd down conversion or stop that when your D is getting torched I don't think you can overstate how much you miss your top secondary player.

I hope they are planning on redshirting Mack because then I will understand the decision to play Wilburn over him. IMO Mack is a better player with more upside and probably makes a difference yesterday.

Reaction Score
The situation with Wilburn Saturday reminded me of a game during Edsall's first or second year where a UConn DB named Jordan Younger was left alone to cover some impossible receiver from Delaware (I think it was Delaware anyway). Younger was a good DB but this kid was just too much for him one-on-one and he burned Younger again and again and again. No adjustments were made by the coaching staff, they just left Younger out there alone all day. Sometimes it sucks to play corner.

Reaction Score
Not having BWW in there, and not replacing him with Taylor Mack was a huge factor. The last TD was on Wilburn. One drive WMU never threw away from his side. I said to people before the game this would be an issue.

Reaction Score
And as my nephew pointed out to me at the game (also a poster on here), rolling up the CB's inside their assigned receiver to feign pressure/disguise coverage, and not having the safeties move outside to pick up coverage, was creating open receivers on short outside routes all day long. I have no problem with pressure or blitzing but this coverage alignment was just making it too easy for WMU.

F

fortebleedsblue

No doubts here that Blidi would have slowed down WMU's top WR's production. For those of you calling for Taylor Mack .. I hear that Wilburn actually looks like the better option of the two at this point. Going into Saturday vs. Geno White this is a scary scary thought. Let alone the rest of the year.

Reaction Score
No doubts here that Blidi would have slowed down WMU's top WR's production. For those of you calling for Taylor Mack .. I hear that Wilburn actually looks like the better option of the two at this point. Going into Saturday vs. Geno White this is a scary scary thought. Let alone the rest of the year.

Regardless of what you hear, I believe my eyes. My eyes tell me that Mack played really well last year as a true freshman, is aggressive and athletic, and that Wilburn does not have what it takes at this level. I feel bad for the guy to some degree that the coaching staff left him out there to get torched over and over again. Unless we are planning on redshirting Mack(which is my suspicion) he should be on that field.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just wish the one time Wilburn had a guy in front of him in his sights with the ball, he drilled him instead of just giving a nudge out of bounds. Might have done some good.

Reaction Score
What's your angle with this? You're not just curious. It seems like you're trying to slyly drop what you perceive to be a bomb to get everyone to say, hell yes we would've won with bww, then sit back and sneer at what a bunch of idiots everyone is. To answer anyway, lol, yes I say unequivocally we win with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom