Overlooked TV Series | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Overlooked TV Series

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Gotcha. I find the Cesspool more readable and friendly than the football boards.

It's more readable, but some of the ideas and name calling from both fringes of the respective political parties is sometimes off-putting.

At least we can all (mostly) agree upon discussions some of the time on the Football, MBB, and Conference realignment boards. It's also great to have Off-off-topics too like these TV threads.

Sports, television, and movies. I'm a Renaissance Man when it comes to the Tube!!!

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
On the major networks....I have gotten semi-hooked on Grimm.

Parenthood is another good one.

I like Grimm a lot especially since Friday night's are horrible in most cases for good shows.

Reaction Score
I like Grimm a lot especially since Friday night's are horrible in most cases for good shows.

Yeah I got hooked on it by "accident" and like it alot. As someone said...it is different...and well made.

Reaction Score
Southland is pretty good, but "Boomtown" which covers the same territory is better. Only one season is available on DVD in the US. Friday Night Lights is one of my all time favorites, but it lasted 5 years albeit with truncated seasons. That's why I didn't include it.
Veronica Mars is surprisingly good; it features a high school student PI.

I didn't include shows which lasted only a single season. "Life on Mars" the US version fits in that category, but the final episode is pus
filled. "The Dresden Files" which is based on Jim Butcher's novels is really excellent. For those of you who are not familiar with Harry Dresden; he is the only wizard listed in the Chicago yellow pages.

I like "Grimm" a lot; the writers have mastered creating solid single episodes connected to general themes. You can watch the episodes multiple times. It is returning for a third season this fall.

Reaction Score
I thought it was CBS that dropped it, but I didn't IMDb it. Turns out it was NBC. The given reason was because, "It was too dark for Network television." I do remember that. I think the real reason is because - as Adam Carolla would say - network execs are chickens**t and don't want to take a chance if a show is not an immediate success.

Its also the entertainment industry in general. Reviews often drive viewers and every major outlet makes up their mind based on one episode. The whole idea is as ridiculous as the way they pitch shows based on a single pilot episode.

Sometimes comparing the shows that get picked up vs. the ones that don't is maddening. There was a great NYC cop show last year on NBC with Maria Bello in it. Axed. Great show. That moronic drivel "Whitney" got picked up.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
That's the great thing about cable, and now Netflix. Several shows come to mind that were cut by a broadcast network, only to be picked up by cable or Netflix. The first that comes to kind is Southland. I also believe Arrested Development was cut by a one network, and later picked up by Netflix, which has agreed to produce new shows.

The lower rates promised by cable never materialized. But the competition has been great for viewers.

Its also the entertainment industry in general. Reviews often drive viewers and every major outlet makes up their mind based on one episode. The whole idea is as ridiculous as the way they pitch shows based on a single pilot episode.

Sometimes comparing the shows that get picked up vs. the ones that don't is maddening. There was a great NYC cop show last year on NBC with Maria Bello in it. Axed. Great show. That moronic drivel "Whitney" got picked up.

Reaction Score
Overlooked would have to be defined as at most 3 seasons, and never a popular show.

Bunheads is one of the best shows I have seen in years. Sad that it got dumped last month. Awesome dialogue and by the end the girls character development was wonderful. Made me go and watch Gilmore Girls for the first time, where I am on season 6 and loving it.

Rome is one of my favorite cable shows, but only lasted 2 seasons. Some great performances in that one.

Terriers, freaking great and a shame it got canned so fast

Shameless does not quite fit that definition, but no one ever talks about it and Emmy Rossum is fabulous in it. So much better than the original UK version.

There are some Brit shows that are amazing that were never that seen in the US that should be seen.
-Coupling is my favorite 30 minute show ever. IT is a bawdy friends.
-Utopia blew me away this spring. Can not wait for season 2.
-Life on Mars & Ashes to Ashes are a bit more well known, but other than the finale of Ashes were a great ride
-MI5 is 24 in London, without the time gimmick, and is great that any character can die at any time, and they do.
-Black Mirror is somewhat different in format than any current show (more twilight zone like), but it really makes you think and is done at a VERY high level of quality.

I have watched a lot of TV.....

Reaction Score
I didn't include shows which lasted only a single season. "Life on Mars" the US version fits in that category, but the final episode is pus
filled. "The Dresden Files" which is based on Jim Butcher's novels is really excellent. For those of you who are not familiar with Harry Dresden; he is the only wizard listed in the Chicago yellow pages.

I enjoyed the single season of Life on Mars. Surprisingly strong cast, including Harvey Keitel, Gretchen Mol & Michael Imperioli. It was only the one season, but I appreciated the fact that the finale wrapped up the mystery.

Reaction Score
I liked "Damages" which started on F/X then DirectV picked it up for last 2 seasons. I think it lasted 4 or 5. Good stories with some decent plot twists.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
It is rare I commit to watching a series. But Grimm got me and Mrs. Dove and we watch it every Friday night.

Another series that we watch religiously is Longmire on Mondays. Awesome show on A&E at 10pm.

Watched Southland when it first came out and really liked it but lost it probably in the network shuffle and never got back into it.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I got hooked on Southland late, but loved it right to the end. Really good show.

It is rare I commit to watching a series. But Grimm got me and Mrs. Dove and we watch it every Friday night.

Another series that we watch religiously is Longmire. Awesome show on A&E at 10pm.

Watched Southland when it first came out and really liked it but lost it probably in the network shuffle and never got back into it.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
V (the new version) - loved the old one growing up and wished the new one would catch on.

Happy Endings -- ended too soon!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom