Overcoming Adversity and why this is an all time favorite UConn team | The Boneyard

Overcoming Adversity and why this is an all time favorite UConn team

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Overcoming adversity is a core value in American culture. It's the central plotline in all of our sports movies and something we love about sports. The wonderful part of this UConn team is just how much of it is currently baked into the team and players.

The Team - Our seniors started in this program with the first consecutive losing seasons since the Perno years. Don't forget that Polley, Whaley and Carlton are Ollie guys. Their freshman and sophmore campaigns were both sub .500. Their head coach was fired and their incoming headcoach's HOF dad commented how under developed they were physically the day his son took over the program. They stayed. They built up their games and help lay the foundation for new players. Corona cuts short their turn around season, robs them of the prep time heading into big east play.

Hurley - Dan Hurley quit basketball in 1993. He had lost his love of the game and if it wasn't for George Blaney! he may never have become the Coach he is today. Overcoming adversity is so much a part of Dan Hurley that its no surprise he excels at building programs.

The Seniors:

Zay - 2.6 pts an 2.2 RB in 14 MPG starting 12 as a freshman. Slashed to garbage time his Sophmore year. Bursts on the scene following Akok's injury. Some on this board are now talking about him in the league.

Tyler - works his way up from a low 30s to 40s+ 3pt shooter. Blows out knee. Doesn't get time to work out the kinks coming back from injury. Shot looks truly broken in early season play. Jumps out of phone booth wearing cape to save us in Milwaukee.

Josh - One of the most hot and cold relationships with the UConn fan base this side of Taliek Brown. Left for dead (twice?). Embracing his role as first big off the bench. Playing angry, providing energy.

The Junior:

Brendan - Reminds me a bit of Rash Jones. Was asked to do more than he should have been as an underclassman. Settling into his role as a reserve guard. Overplaying right now but playing hard. I have high expectations for him in the back half of this season. I think he's going to be vitally important. No pun intended?

The Sophomores:

Akok - Fan Favorite. Amida hustle. Kemba exuberance. Emeka timing. Horrific Injury. Fights back to ahead of schedule return. Can't wait to see him on the court again.

Bouk - Had to overcome off court issues as a freshman and a late start. Asked to be the guy as a Sophmore. That's not easy. It broke Bazz for a while. Seeks contact to draw fouls, spends half his time on the floor literally on the floor. Shows every bit of the brass required to live up to the challenge. Never seems phased on the court. Reminds of Ben Gordon in that regard.

Gaff - Still figuring it out but already taking heavy criticism for half the underproduction at pg. The feel good side of this one remains to be seen. I've like his aggressiveness dribbling into the pockets of the 2-3 at times and his aggressive take down the stretch against Marquette.

The Transfers:

RJ - 3 Star ranked 479th nationally by 247. Loved UConn as a kid and dreamt of playing for us. Wasn't good enough out of highschool. Grinded his way into a UConn uniform and now starts at PG and plays 30 mpg. Defense has been stellar. Goat for the Creighton loss. Bounces back and hits late FT's against Marquette.

Rese- 3 star ranked 220 nationally by 247. Has been one of the best players on the court at times for us. Rebounding and toughness drawing comps to Donny Marshall one of the most beloved huskies of his era.

These are awesome storylines. Every one of them. This team is as much fun to root for as any I can remember. Every game is special and we need to remember that after losses and especially after games are scrubbed. My only hopes for this team is to see as much of them as possible.

Reaction Score
I love this team because they are all tough. Nobody on this team is soft. I recall a few years ago the players would fold when they were down 10-15. This team doesn't know when to quit, they only know how to make something out of whatever situation they're in

Reaction Score
Great overview and summary of our personnel.. Especially appreciate your recognition of the seniors.. They have had a crazy four years and now they're able to enjoy their hard work with some W's and teammates/coaches who value their contributions..

Looking forward to BE Tournament and May Madness with these guys..

Reaction Score
Overcoming adversity is a core value in American culture. It's the central plotline in all of our sports movies and something we love about sports. The wonderful part of this UConn team is just how much of it is currently baked into the team and players.

The Team - Our seniors started in this program with the first consecutive losing seasons since the Perno years. Don't forget that Polley, Whaley and Carlton are Ollie guys. Their freshman and sophmore campaigns were both sub .500. Their head coach was fired and their incoming headcoach's HOF dad commented how under developed they were physically the day his son took over the program. They stayed. They built up their games and help lay the foundation for new players. Corona cuts short their turn around season, robs them of the prep time heading into big east play.

Hurley - Dan Hurley quit basketball in 1993. He had lost his love of the game and if it wasn't for George Blaney! he may never have become the Coach he is today. Overcoming adversity is so much a part of Dan Hurley that its no surprise he excels at building programs.

The Seniors:

Zay - 2.6 pts an 2.2 RB in 14 MPG starting 12 as a freshman. Slashed to garbage time his Sophmore year. Bursts on the scene following Akok's injury. Some on this board are now talking about him in the league.

Tyler - works his way up from a low 30s to 40s+ 3pt shooter. Blows out knee. Doesn't get time to work out the kinks coming back from injury. Shot looks truly broken in early season play. Jumps out of phone booth wearing cape to save us in Milwaukee.

Josh - One of the most hot and cold relationships with the UConn fan base this side of Taliek Brown. Left for dead (twice?). Embracing his role as first big off the bench. Playing angry, providing energy.

The Junior:

Brendan - Reminds me a bit of Rash Jones. Was asked to do more than he should have been as an underclassman. Settling into his role as a reserve guard. Overplaying right now but playing hard. I have high expectations for him in the back half of this season. I think he's going to be vitally important. No pun intended?

The Sophomores:

Akok - Fan Favorite. Amida hustle. Kemba exuberance. Emeka timing. Horrific Injury. Fights back to ahead of schedule return. Can't wait to see him on the court again.

Bouk - Had to overcome off court issues as a freshman and a late start. Asked to be the guy as a Sophmore. That's not easy. It broke Bazz for a while. Seeks contact to draw fouls, spends half his time on the floor literally on the floor. Shows every bit of the brass required to live up to the challenge. Never seems phased on the court. Reminds of Ben Gordon in that regard.

Gaff - Still figuring it out but already taking heavy criticism for half the underproduction at pg. The feel good side of this one remains to be seen. I've like his aggressiveness dribbling into the pockets of the 2-3 at times and his aggressive take down the stretch against Marquette.

The Transfers:

RJ - 3 Star ranked 479th nationally by 247. Loved UConn as a kid and dreamt of playing for us. Wasn't good enough out of highschool. Grinded his way into a UConn uniform and now starts at PG and plays 30 mpg. Defense has been stellar. Goat for the Creighton loss. Bounces back and hits late FT's against Marquette.

Rese- 3 star ranked 220 nationally by 247. Has been one of the best players on the court at times for us. Rebounding and toughness drawing comps to Donny Marshall one of the most beloved huskies of his era.

These are awesome storylines. Every one of them. This team is as much fun to root for as any I can remember. Every game is special and we need to remember that after losses and especially after games are scrubbed. My only hopes for this team is to see as much of them as possible.
Nice post chip

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Gaff - Still figuring it out but already taking heavy criticism for half the underproduction at pg. The feel good side of this one remains to be seen.
While most see it as Whaley/Polley driven, I still harken back to last season, when our turnaround coincided with Gaff taking over as our primary PG.

Reaction Score
Must confess I skipped this post at first because it’s long and I was lazy. Took the time to read it today and it was worth it. Nice positive post, thank you!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
absolutely spot on:

why this is an all time favorite UConn team​

that's some good mulch right thar. yes indeedy. gonna be a great harvest with no watering problems, since coach has built a fine irrigation system.
'when the party is nice,
the party is pumpin,
and everybody havin a ball.
i tell the fellows start to get ballin...'

had to do it. soo many fan favorites with this pack. the answer to the question is coach. coach let the dogs out.

Reaction Score
Lots of work to do. Let’s not get too ahead of ourselves. It’s easy to forget the trials by fire past teams went through with plenty of gut wrenching moments along the way. The pressure is only going to increase with success and the next battle is going to be believing you’re good enough to not bring 100% for 40 minutes. They need to stay paranoid and locked in.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'
Lots of work to do. Let’s not get too ahead of ourselves. It’s easy to forget the trials by fire past teams went through with plenty of gut wrenching moments along the way. The pressure is only going to increase with success and the next battle is going to be believing you’re good enough to not bring 100% for 40 minutes. They need to stay paranoid and locked in.

'paranoid?'

USATSI_15233920_168393884_lowres.jpg

looks more like they're ready to bite someone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom