Overachieving/Underachieving Teams | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Overachieving/Underachieving Teams

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Another overachiever out of the ACC could be FSU. 9-1 after all of the transfers out. Not the toughest schedule, but those wins over Purdue and Florida might look alot better come March.

She won't, but if you think she might, let's exchange Venmo numbers and we can wager a pizza at our respective favorite places. Ah, don't bother: no way Sam is even going for 30 against Soni.

Well. in that case. I hope she drops 8-15 on yall :confused:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not sure how UConn is an over achiever when they started out ranked 6th and after the loss to ND will still be ranked within a3-6 they are where they supposed ti be
:eek:That post got 16 likes probably because it included UCONN as an overachiever and the use of the words "legit title threat" to describe this team. I'd say the poster understood his BY audience perfectly and no further explanation is required. Nice job @bballnut90 .

Reaction Score
I might make a one for one switch on that phrase in orange: substitute "from" for "over."
As you probably recall, Coach Tina Thompson was let go after four years. One of the few things she did was get some competent transfers, ranging from Camryn Taylor and Taylor Valladay from Marquette to Mir McLean from UConn and McKenna Dale from Brown. However, that certainly didn't translate into a decent season (save for that game from nowhere against Duke ;)).

Coach Mox added in Sam Brunelle, an unheralded frosh or two, and -- voila -- 10-0, beating teams that they should beat.

Like @triaddukefan , I look forward to that Dec. 21 rematch at Durham to get a reading on what the Hoo's state of play looks like vs. the ACC. I believe ND rolls into Charlottesville not long after to visit with Irish alum Sam Brunelle, so that should be interesting, too.
Interesting comment about the players TIna brought in. Before this year I didn’t think any of them were all that good, based on their performance. Mir looked ok, but nothing like this year.

Coach Mox did bring in 1 ranked freshman - Yonta Vaughn. That’s 1 more ranked kid than TIna recruited in 4 years.

Yes, UVA should have beaten all 10 teams they’ve played this year (a schedule clearly set up to help TIna save her job). But last year’s team wouldn’t have gone 10-0.

I too think the Duke game will tell us a lot about this team.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Interesting comment about the players TIna brought in. Before this year I didn’t think any of them were all that good, based on their performance. Mir looked ok, but nothing like this year.

Coach Mox did bring in 1 ranked freshman - Yonta Vaughn. That’s 1 more ranked kid than TIna recruited in 4 years.

Yes, UVA should have beaten all 10 teams they’ve played this year (a schedule clearly set up to help TIna save her job). But last year’s team wouldn’t have gone 10-0.

I too think the Duke game will tell us a lot about this team.
Agree. Oh, if I didn't make it clear-cut, I think Coach Mox is fully responsible for analyzing the parts and making them quite functionable. Will be watching the Duke game, for sure.

Reaction Score
Just watched Kansas dismantle Arizona at Arizona. Kansas is a very good team. Not sure what to think about Arizona. But Kansas was a pleasure to watch.
Kansas made the 2nd round last year and returned the bulk of their team. They should be poised to make a very strong Big 12 run this year.

Reaction Score
Just watched Kansas dismantle Arizona at Arizona. Kansas is a very good team. Not sure what to think about Arizona. But Kansas was a pleasure to watch.
Arizona looked completely out of sync. Gave up a lot of offensive rebounds to Kansas. Seemed like a lot of one on one ball on offense. Only 8 assists on 21 field goals. Kansas only had 11 on 29 but I think many Jayhawk baskets came on put backs. Kansas outrebounded Arizona by 20, 51-31. Arizona appeared to give up mid-way through the 4th quarter.

Kansas definitely played more cohesively and together as a team. They looked to push the ball inside and had great success. If they play in Big -12 conference games as they did tonight they could earn a top 2 or 3 finish. They played good defense.

Arizona, on the other hand, has to improve its team play. Having only 4 or 5 returning players, encouraging others to leave, and adding other top scorers through the portal has created some early challenges for Coach Barnes and her staff. They played poor defense. This lopsided loss at home will surely serve as a wake-up call and get everyone’s undivided attention. We’ll see if Coach Barnes can mold it’s talented roster into a team capable of making a deep run in March.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Arizona looked completely out of sync. Gave up a lot of offensive rebounds to Kansas. Seemed like a lot of one on one ball on offense. Only 8 assists on 21 field goals. Kansas only had 11 on 29 but I think many Jayhawk baskets came on put backs. Kansas outrebounded Arizona by 20, 51-31. Arizona appeared to give up mid-way through the 4th quarter.

Kansas definitely played more cohesively and together as a team. They looked to push the ball inside and had great success. If they play in Big -12 conference games as they did tonight they could earn a top 2 or 3 finish. They played good defense.

Arizona, on the other hand, has to improve its team play. Having only 4 or 5 returning players, encouraging others to leave, and adding other top scorers through the portal has created some early challenges for Coach Barnes and her staff. They played poor defense. This lopsided loss at home will surely serve as a wake-up call and get everyone’s undivided attention. We’ll see if Coach Barnes can mold it’s talented roster into a team capable of making a deep run in March.
Pretty much, I was there. On top of the poor rebounding and excessive dribbling / one on one it was also true that Arizona's shooting was off. Don't know why, but shots players would typically make were largely not falling; Cate Reese was the only one with some shooting success (I haven't seen the actual stats, but I saw the half-time ones (where I sit on the floor they hand them out) and they were dreadful).

If anyone reading this thinks there was "selfishness" involved, I didn't see it. It wasn't good team basketball, and passing was awful, but the one on one episodes often involved multiple players before the shot was taken and usually missed.

They print a "scout" in our local paper and you would have thought the players never heard it. Adia and her husband were, at times, angry and finally just resigned. They laid an egg, no doubt.

I don't know what this says for the future. I caught in the pre-game newspaper article a hint that she perhaps wasn't 100% pleased with the way they play together on defense. Still, to me on the defensive side, it was Kansas running the same plays and we just couldn't stop them - and acted like we didn't expect them.

Yikes.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Pretty much, I was there. On top of the poor rebounding and excessive dribbling / one on one it was also true that Arizona's shooting was off. Don't know why, but shots players would typically make were largely not falling; Cate Reese was the only one with some shooting success (I haven't seen the actual stats, but I saw the half-time ones (where I sit on the floor they hand them out) and they were dreadful).

If anyone reading this thinks there was "selfishness" involved, I didn't see it. It wasn't good team basketball, and passing was awful, but the one on one episodes often involved multiple players before the shot was taken and usually missed.

They print a "scout" in our local paper and you would have thought the players never heard it. Adia and her husband were, at times, angry and finally just resigned. They laid an egg, no doubt.

I don't know what this says for the future. I caught in the pre-game newspaper article a hint that she perhaps wasn't 100% pleased with the way they play together on defense. Still, to me on the defensive side, it was Kansas running the same plays and we just couldn't stop them - and acted like we didn't expect them.

Yikes.
Offensively, Arizona looked to me like they often do: no real offensive flow, very few assists, too much one on one, inconsistent shooting, etc. In the past, forcing turnovers and having Ari McDonald do her thing made much of that moot. But this team doesn't seem on the same page defensively, and, as much as Pellington et al. tried to reprise what McDonald did game after game, it didn't really work. To put it another way, the whole seems quite a bit less than the sum of it parts.

Kansas, on the other hand, seemed just the opposite despite being the far less talented team on paper. I tend to think that @jake0414 is correct in suggesting that Barnes's decision to change things dramatically after last season (lots of tranfers in and out--with at least some of the latter the coach's decision--+ 4 recruits} has actually made her work a lot harder.

Last edited:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score

Yikes.

I caught the game on the PAC12 network, and this was exactly what I seeing on tv. The Kansas guards just kept driving right to the basket every time and if they missed the layup their 6'6 center Taiyannna Jackson would just rebound and putback to the tune of 19 points and 15 rebounds.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Offensively, Arizona looked to me like they often do: no real offensive flow, very few assists, too much one on one, inconsistent shooting, etc. In the past, forcing turnovers and having Ari McDonald do her thing made much of that moot. But this team doesn't seem on the same page defensively, and, as much as Pellington et al. tried to reprise what McDonald did game after game, it didn't really work. To put it another way, the whole seems quite a bit less than the sum of it parts.

Kansas, on the other hand, seemed just the opposite despite being the far less talented team on paper. I tend to think that @jake0414 is correct in suggesting that Barnes's decision to change things dramatically after last season (lots of tranfers in and out--with at least some of the latter the coach's decision--+ 4 recruits} has actually made her work a lot harder.
Yes, Barnes post-game remarks included the reality that there are a bunch of players who were the main focus at their last location and are having trouble achieving balance with the other players. Again, there isn't any real hint of selfishness, rather just everyone trying too hard to do their thing.

She also acknowledged that the problems "in" the game were the same issues that are going on in practice. During this game, Kansas exploited the issues. And their center intimidated our players - instead of trying to draw fouls our players didn't play aggressive and altered their shots.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Kansas made the 2nd round last year and returned the bulk of their team. They should be poised to make a very strong Big 12 run this year.
Coach Schneider was just signed to a multi-year extension. And you're right -- that team is senior-laden, so there's experience.
Hmm, if memory serves, Payton Verhulst is from the Kansas City (Kansas) region. Wonder if she'd want to join a local team, a la Caitlin Clark?

Reaction Score
I don't necessary consider Iowa as underachieving as much as being unfairly overrated. I see them as a Sweet Sixteen level team with a shot at Elite 8 like last year. They needed to have added a difference maker via the portal to be better than last year IMHO. Not sure why they are unsuccessful via the portal, whether it be by Bluder's choice or just not recruiting it well. Seems to me it would have been an attractive venue for some players this year. Not ready to write them off in the Big Ten though, they started slow last year and really peaked late season.
Well, not to be a jerk, but how many top level transfers want to go to Iowa and already know they're the 5th option behind Clark being option 1-3 and Czinano being 4? That's a tough sell.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom