Over reaction and Unrealistic Expectations: | The Boneyard

Over reaction and Unrealistic Expectations:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hate creating a post and have done so twice in the last week. I just think that this is for all intents and purposes a brand new team. Each of these guys has a new responsibility or is new to the team. We just lost and should have beaten what I think is one of the top 5 teams in the country by 1 lucky as point. We are lambasting kids on this board who have literally played 3 regular season games as husky. Taking full measure of their value to the program by what they have done in their first 3 games. Where would that leave us with Kemba or Shabazz or any of the other future greats. We had 5 inexperienced players on the floor at many times during the game. Boatright is alone with his responsibility on this team. Brimah isnt where he will be by the end of the year and same with Purvis, Cassell and others. We are going to play spoiler this year but we arent likely going to repeat. In a year this is going to be a new fantastic team. Hopefully Boatright gets the chance to build his resume. Anyhow.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I hate creating a post and have done so twice in the last week. I just think that this is for all intents and purposes a brand new team. Each of these guys has a new responsibility or is new to the team. We just lost and should have beaten what I think is one of the top 5 teams in the country by 1 lucky as point. We are lambasting kids on this board who have literally played 3 regular season games as husky. Taking full measure of their value to the program by what they have done in their first 3 games. Where would that leave us with Kemba or Shabazz or any of the other future greats. We had 5 inexperienced players on the floor at many times during the game. Boatright is alone with his responsibility on this team. Brimah isnt where he will be by the end of the year and same with Purvis, Cassell and others. We are going to play spoiler this year but we arent likely going to repeat. In a year this is going to be a new fantastic team. Hopefully Boatright gets the chance to build his resume. Anyhow.
What's the fun in this? Wouldn't you rather play Chicken Little and disregard the process?

My recollection is the last two teams as inexperienced as this were 2006-2007 and 1996-97 (I related more to this team because I was there. Hamilton, Freeman and Voskuhl were Freshman starters.). Do I have to leave a reminder to remind of what happened 2 seasons later?

2011 spoiled many.

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing on Sunday. Look at the team they had on the floor most of the game. Most of these players weren't highly rated coming out of high school and are going to need time to develop. Without Purvis and Calhoun playing on Sunday there was a void. Unfortunately the team is caught in a situation where they're asking a lot from most of these players.

Major Minutes against Texas:
Boatright - Senior. Very experienced. Scored 24 of the 54 points.
Hamilton - Freshman. Very highly rated freshman expected to contribute right away. Has been delivering as advertised with some normal freshman issues (turnovers).
Facey - Sophomore. Very inexperienced sophomore thrust into starting role maybe a little too early but is showing promise.
Brimah - Sophomore. Relatively inexperienced sophomore. We need to remember that he hasn't been playing basketball for very long. Has promising physical tools but still learning the game.
Samuel - Sophomore. Very inexperienced sophomore thrust into starting role before he's ready. Shows promise to be a major contributor down the line.
Nolan - Junior. Not expected to be a stud but he's had enough experience and is at the point where he needs to contribute more.
Cassell - Freshman. While he's an experienced freshman he's still playing at a new level and he's having a tough time adjusting. Despite his good showing in the 2 preseason games.

So the majority of the minutes on Sunday were taken by 1 senior, 1 junior, 3 relatively inexperienced sophomores and 2 freshmen. After looking at this I think the team actually has some real promise to be much better later this season. Hopefully Purvis and Calhoun can get back soon because both have health and downtime issues that could hamper their effectiveness later this season. The team needs both of these guys to be the players they could be.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I look at things differently than most I guess. Life is anything but predictable. So how can anyone who is alive expect the world to behave the way their imagination believes it will behave.

The best anyone of us can offer are higher and lower probabilities with regards to outcomes. But even the highest probabilities have inherent uncertainties. Any Uconn men's bb fan should understand this based on the last couple of decades. And yet every year there is someone(s) who set(s) their expectations as sacrosanct and when those expectations aren't met they get angry. Some leave it at that. Others need to lash out at the object that "failed" them. That is not a problem with the team or coaches. It's a failure on the part of those individuals.

This year the team had a lot of uncertainties at the start of the season. That meant the probability of certainty for this team was at a minimum. I'm with those who pre season said this was going to be a process. There was very little way of knowing how this season was going to play out. This team could come together and make a deep run in the tournament, or injuries, combined with a lack of necessary development, can result in this team not making it into a tournament.

pj

Reaction Score
Last year, I was expecting a lot and was disappointed in the early play. They didn't look impressive scraping by Maryland, BC, and Indiana, and then the losses to Stanford, Houston, and SMU were really subpar.

This year, my expectations were similar to those at the start of last year, but the team has exceeded them (given the injuries to Purvis and Calhoun). I had hoped for a bit more out of Nolan, but Facey and Brimah have been as expected, Hamilton better than I expected, and the team is already working hard on defense.

If everyone gets healthy and the chemistry develops, we'll have a terrific team.

I think the competition looks tougher this year - Kentucky is loaded of course, their new guards fill in the big weakness they had last year, and they are even more imposing in the frontcourt - but I like this team to go a long way.

Reaction Score
Part of the problem is that we only have 4 or 5 good games all year since being dropped into this ridiculous conference. The angst and stress to win the big games is magnified. In years past we'd likely have 6 or 7 more games against top 25 teams. The margin to win is much smaller now.

Reaction Score
My expectations are simmering as I watch this team and see where they need to grow. Honestly they weren't real high anyway, hoping to get in the tourney and win one or 2 but now I wouldn't surprised with any direction this season may go. Question marks galore, can they be answered before the 2nd half of the season? Not sure. I'm going at this game by game, with hopes of improvement. The loss the other day hurt a ton, but I also found the positive which could go a long way in the end. If I do look at it in the long run (the schedule) as of now I really am not confident on a return to the big stage. Why? Many reasons, one of which I am not sure we can get by the fact we don't shoot it good. I am happy to see we can play defense in the half court against a solid team like Texas and sustain it which gives us a shot. Question is can they bring that in the games vs Tulsa, EC, UCF, USF, Tulane and such who can surprise them if they don't? I am concerned but comforted in knowing we are UConn and things will end up well somehow, this year or next. We are in good hands!

For now though I am very concerned about a Yale team which can beat us even if healthy on a given night and now we may not be. For this team it needs to be one game at a time, no overlooking anyone. They don't have that kind of team to do anything else! We'll see won't we?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Part of the problem is that we only have 4 or 5 good games all year since being dropped into this ridiculous conference. The angst and stress to win the big games is magnified. In years past we'd likely have 6 or 7 more games against top 25 teams. The margin to win is much smaller now.
That is a statement with merit. But the conference pre season was predicted to be in a rebuilding period this season outside of SMU, Tulsa and perhaps Temple. Those three have underperformed pre season predictions. Cinci, UConn, Houston and Memphis lost key people from last season. I'm still optimistic there will be many seasons in which 4-6 teams in this conference will be in top twenty discussions.

With that said I still hope UConn gets into the B!G. My preference that UConn lands in the ACC is mixed. Until that happens, the AAC is home.

Reaction Score

The 2010 championship team was younger than this team and had less experience together. We have a similar player to Kemba(not quite as good but VERY good) and a similar maybe better played than Lamb in Hamilton. We have only seen a glimpse of Purvis and nothing of Calhoun. Can Brimah step up and give us what Alex O did--he should be able to. So I don't see the validity in this thread. We have the goods--we shouldve beaten Texas short handed.

Reaction Score
Correct. P5 teams have opportunities in their conference schedules. If AAC teams can beat some of those teams when given the chance then perception changes.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
When I saw the title for this post I thought it was about my depression that Scarlett Johansson married someone other than me.

pj

Reaction Score
When I saw the title for this post I thought it was about my depression that Scarlett Johansson married someone other than me.

Scarlett got married? Without waiting for me?

Reaction Score
Over reaction and Unrealistic Expectations
I clicked on this thread thinking that they were going to rename the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
We had 10 games vs the top 25 last year, and 91 over the past 10 seasons for an average of 9.1/year. If we can even get to 3 this season it would be surprising.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Kentucky's freshman and sophomores are kicking in the NBA

Reaction Score
The most exciting thing about this bunch is the development of Facey. He surprised me, especially since we are not being out rebounded in our games. Who knows as a Senior he may be in the AA discussions, after he gets his 'O' going.

Sorry I forgot this thread was about lowering expectations, but I'm just giddy about this kid.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
The most exciting thing about this bunch is the development of Facey. He surprised me, especially since we are not being out rebounded in our games. Who knows as a Senior he may be in the AA discussions, after he gets his 'O' going.

Sorry I forgot this thread was about lowering expectations, but I'm just giddy about this kid.
He really does go after the rebounds especially on the offensive end. Any points he gets are put backs as they have yet to run an offensive play for him. That does surprise me because he appears to have some decent moves around the basket.

Reaction Score
He really does go after the rebounds especially on the offensive end. Any points he gets are put backs as they have yet to run an offensive play for him. That does surprise me because he appears to have some decent moves around the basket.
I wish there were a lot less rebounds to go after on the offensive end.

Reaction Score

We are not all that better then others in the Conf. so stop the blaming. I don't know that we were expected to win. We will drop out of the rankings and hopefully climb back in at season end.

Reaction Score
I know there is a lot of doom and gloom on this board after a couple early losses but think about this. We played a top 5 team with a big time frontcourt without 2 of our key players and 4 players in our starting lineup who are freshmen and sophomores with limited experience. Even with all that against us we outrebounded them and absolutely dominated them on the defensive end in the second half. The problem with team is finding an identity on offense. This team needs to stop trying to play one on one and chucking up threes. This offense should have more screening,movement and passing which leads to guys either cutting to the basket or getting an open look. Florida did not have a very good shooting team last season but with a swarming defense and playing to their strengths on offense they went all the way to the FF4. I think we could do the same. Im still very excited about this team and was very very encouraged by our defensive intensity.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
INteresting comment from KO in the Courant that Cassell has got to get in the gym more than just his 2 hours of practice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom