Over rate our own team and coaching | The Boneyard

Over rate our own team and coaching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We used to have Calhoun and now we have Ollie. We keep thinking this is an extension of those days. It isn't. We have some great recruits coming in next year but this team has basketball skills and no basketball brains and no coaching. I keep getting my hopes up. The bubble popped tonight. Let's see those great recruits next year. This team lacks in too many critical areas.

Reaction Score
We used to have Calhoun and now we have Ollie. We keep thinking this is an extension of those days. It isn't. We have some great recruits coming in next year but this team has basketball skills and no basketball brains and no coaching. I keep getting my hopes up. The bubble popped tonight. Let's see those great recruits next year. This team lacks in too many critical areas.
One of the many reasons people should not and will not take your post seriously is because I bet you actually believe the bubble popped with this loss.

Reaction Score
Couldnt disagree more. The problem isnt the coaching its the players. Gibbs isnt a pg and hes not a dynamic 2. Jalen can be a point and has helped this team a lot but hes still just a freshman. Purvis is a low basketball IQ streaky 2 with more holes in his game than Bonnie & Clyde. Our issues begin and end with the backcourt.

Reaction Score
One of the many reasons people should not and will not take your post seriously is because I bet you actually believe the bubble popped with this loss.

The bubble may not have literally popped, as it did not literally pop in 2012.

But, like in that season, it has become evident that regardless of whether we make the Tournament, we're not going to be any kind of serious presence in the college basketball landscape the rest of the year.

Reaction Score
Couldnt disagree more. The problem isnt the coaching its the players. Gibbs isnt a pg and hes not a dynamic 2. Jalen can be a point and has helped this team a lot but hes still just a freshman. Purvis is a low basketball IQ streaky 2 with more holes in his game than Bonnie & Clyde. Our issues begin and end with the backcourt.

Agree on your assessment of the players... But. We all know Gibbs is not a PG, but does KO? If he also knows that he's not a PG, then why do our late game sets evolve into Gibbs pounding the ball away 30 feet from the hoop with under 5 seconds on the shot clock. Do you think that's what Gibbs wants to do? Secondly and it's been crushed on the board, Jalen is our closest thing to a PG but he was benched for the majority of the 2nd half. And then, once the fan was completely enveloped with , the time for punishment was over. Makes no sense. So to make things simple. If our backcourt is the problem (and it is), why do we run an offense (especially late in games) that is predicated on relying on our weakness? That's a coaching issue, no?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Ollie was so masterful during the 2014 tournament. Hard for me to believe that he forgot how to coach. Think it's the players and as a result Ollie is second guessing himself about substitutions, etc.
It's substitutions and imo Gibbs wasting 28-30 seconds when he's the pg. scared to get it into miller, find another option, or tries to do it all on his own. If adams is out of the game hamilton has to be the point. Gibbs can't run it. Also if purvis is only going to do something in his three minute spurt in the first half and nothing else then Omar/Enoch/facey need to come in. also facey and Enoch before Phil. Lineup should be adams Gibbs hamilton miller brimah with purvis facey Omar Enoch as subs. He should ride the starting lineup as long as possible at least to 14 minutes if possible. Also miller is our most efficient player. Idc if he touches the ball 15 times in a row. If he's dominating his opponent in the paint like usual you keep feeding him and let the other team change. I think next years team will have more talent and bball iq. We'll have imo a team that resembles the '14 squad. Two pgs, shooters, someone who can pick and pop etc. right now we have one pg/point forward and that's about it. I'm in no way bailing on the team or Ollie not now or in a few years. These things are fixable if they choose to fix them

Reaction Score
I agree, I just think that we don't have the horses. Back in 1999, when we had Rip Hamilton and Khalid, they would look at each other late in the game and say it is winning time. Following that, there would be defensive stops, points with each possession and no turnovers. We had players who could take the game up a notch when they had to. This team has some nice pieces but I don't think any coach could get them to do significantly better. It is easy to attack Ollie and blame everything on him but Ollie is a positive asset and not a liability. In terms of Uconn experience this team is pretty raw. Jalen Adams and Enoch are freshman. Gibbs and Miller are first year transfers. Purvis is a second year transfer. Hamilton is extremely talented and if he comes back next year, he could be a POY candidate. This year we could be an NIT team again, but next year, Uconn should be a Final Four contender.

Reaction Score
I could not disagree more w this. KO is the one putting players in positions to fail. KO is the one that doesn't know how/when to call timeout. KO is the one letting the refs school us game after game. KO is the one who forgets who is in the game and who is on the bench. This has happened too many times this year. At a minimum, try changing something if it ain't working. Yes, the players were the ones not executing, but they weren't exactly put in a position to succeed. This is getting old FAST.

Reaction Score
Couldnt disagree more. The problem isnt the coaching its the players.
When the coach recruits the players, trains the players, motivates the players (or not), determines the substitution pattern, and then actually coaches (or not) the players during the game, HOW THE duck can anybody not conclude that results rest substantially with the coach? Really? How?

Sure, sometimes you get a dud player that just isn't what he appeared to be. Sometimes players don't execute. Sometimes players don't have internal motivation.

But what we saw yesterday was flat out coaching. Piss poor substitution patterns, poor use of time outs, lack of leadership from the bench, and the inexplicable benching then return of the only ball handler that we have who can force disarray on opposing teams' defenses.

Saying this Temple loss is on the players is equivalent to having extremely low expectations of our coaching staff.

Reaction Score

Also only 1 post threat and 2 rebounders on this team. But no bruiser. We hot beat up /bullied the last 6 minutes. That was lack of will combined with low confidence.
If not Gibbs than who with the ball. Jalen can't shot nor can Dham. Purvis can't dribble. Who?

Reaction Score

This is the problem though. Gibbs isn't a PG. Everyone know it except for one person...Ollie.

Ollie continues to try and force him into something he's not. Jalen needs to be the PG majority of the time. Plain and simple.

That's poor coaching.

Reaction Score
This is the problem though. Gibbs isn't a PG. Everyone know it except for one person...Ollie.

Ollie continues to try and force him into something he's not. Jalen needs to be the PG majority of the time. Plain and simple.

That's poor coaching.
Like a thousand times.....how is it that everyone on this board knows that Gibbs is not a break you down point guard, yet Ollie keeps putting the ball in his hands in late game, late clock situations? I am actually starting to feel sorry for the kid.
Ollie is putting him in situations where he's almost guaranteed to fail.

Reaction Score
Like a thousand times.....how is it that everyone on this board knows that Gibbs is not a break you down point guard, yet Ollie keeps putting the ball in his hands in late game, late clock situations?
This is the white elephant in the room. The craziest part of it is that Ollie was a college and NBA point guard. He should know.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ollie does a poor job on stemming runs from opponents, he and his staff have done a poor job of identifying that gap in Ollie's coaching and/or the coach who is supposed to bring this fact up isn't on our staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom